HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:58 AM
Portugal, Lisboa, Sintra
Joined Feb 2010
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
Are you using heli mode or Acro mode, There sjould be no mixing in your throttle curve.

Cheers
i am using Acro mode.
Infante is offline Find More Posts by Infante
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
After my first "Flip of Death" a little over a week ago, I repaired my S800 with all new arms (motors, ESCs, props), using the same WKM that was bought new a couple of months ago. I flew 6 packs without incident this weekend; the first couple of flights were done LOS, the following ones FPV. On the seventh flight, while in ATT mode, it flipped again without warning. This flip was caught on video by a GoPro that was hard mounted to the frame. Seems that both times the flip was to the left, which may be coincidental or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58p9e...ature=youtu.be
Wow. Another crash. I can't say I'm surprised. And this one with 5,14a that is supposed to catch a FOD.
Why the h**** is it so quiet from DJI?
We all know you read this. Keeping quiet when your s800s are dropping from the sky is the same as pi$$ing your customers in the face.

I must say I am impressed by the patience of the s800 customers.....
sap_2000 is offline Find More Posts by sap_2000
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I had one flip with the Dx8 and AR8000 combo. I could never explain it. I had no control and it did a dirt dart inverted from 20+ feet up. Destroyed a GPS and several props along with one arm. I sold the Dx8 and now use my JR 9503 and its clone exclusively. I still use the AR8000 receivers along with A7010 and R921. I have not had a problem since. I never liked that transmitter. I actually like the Dx7s better. I will eventually become my Gimbal controller so I can move my second JR9503 to something else.
Yes, I've been wondering if my two crashes have been a problem with my DX8 / AR8000 combination, glitching with my WKM. But two posts prior to my video (#1251) shows a FOD with what looks like a Futaba 8FG.
azure is offline Find More Posts by azure
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Today I tested the S800 again this time the wind was really ripping. It was far worse than anything that I have flown in before. I was not sure if I could even get it off the ground without a flip but it was OK. I also removed the carbon blades and fitted my own conversion kit to use standard 14x4.7 APC slow flights. It flew for 27 mins on a 11 amp maxamps so I am very happy with how things went. There is a noticeable difference in the sound coming from the props, gone is that ringing sound that you get with the carbon ones. I don't see any disadvantage in the APC's so I may keep em on. I have made ten sets of conversion adapters so I may sell a few if anyone is interested. They are not cheap is they are made in Cyprus but they could save you a lot of money on carbon blades.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
After my first "Flip of Death" a little over a week ago, I repaired my S800 with all new arms (motors, ESCs, props), using the same WKM that was bought new a couple of months ago. I flew 6 packs without incident this weekend; the first couple of flights were done LOS, the following ones FPV. On the seventh flight, while in ATT mode, it flipped again without warning. This flip was caught on video by a GoPro that was hard mounted to the frame. Seems that both times the flip was to the left, which may be coincidental or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58p9e...ature=youtu.be
...Also, prior to rebuilding the S800 after my first crash, thinking that maybe the flip was caused by an intermittent connection problem, I took off all my props and replaced the one broken arm with a new one. I then spooled up the motors to around a hover setting and vigorously shook, torqued, and twisted all the arms with a fair amount of force to see if I could get a connection to break. I couldn't get an interruption, so in my opinion, at least on my MRC, it doesn't appear to be a faulty arm connection issue.
azure is offline Find More Posts by azure
Last edited by azure; Sep 18, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Hi,

@Dennyrowland: I am definetely interested in the conversion sets !

@all: Had a flip today, too. S800 crashed from 2m altitude with no warning, battery full, GPS mode, just hovering with 1kg payload (just a weight for testing).

Before the copter has done abot 6 flights with no problems. However, in GPS mode I saw some slow green flashes, sometimes 2, sometimes 3, mixed with the purple ones. Is that a new pattern in 5.12 or was this a hint to some problem ?
It was not the IMU warning, because that should be 4 x green flashes.

Maybe someone knows..
cropter is offline Find More Posts by cropter
Last edited by cropter; Sep 18, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:01 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cropter View Post
Hi,

@Dennyrowland: I am definetely interested in the conversion sets !

@all: Had a flip today, too. S800 crashed from 2m altitude with no warning, battery full, GPS mode, just hovering with 1kg payload (just a weight for testing).

Before the copter has done abot 6 flights with no problems. However, in GPS mode I saw some slow green flashes, sometimes 2, sometimes 3, mixed with the purple ones. Is that a new pattern in 5.12 or was this a hint to some problem ?
It was not the IMU warning, because that should be 4 x green flashes.

Maybe someone knows..
Holy cow! I can't believe how many of these are doing the FOD!

I have a so-called V1 WKM and am working with a dealer to get it replaced with one of the newer ones with equal resistances. I'm wondering if that's even necessary anymore? Any ideas?
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI Phantom on 4s with WKM
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:13 AM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Jyderup
Joined Jun 2010
395 Posts
Maybe i should mount my naza on my s800 .
Spyde is offline Find More Posts by Spyde
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Jun 2010
395 Posts
I upgraded to V 5,14a and it had a hard time holding atti. Can any of you confirm that? I will downgrade to 5,12 and try ahain
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyde View Post
I upgraded to V 5,14a and it had a hard time holding atti. Can any of you confirm that? I will downgrade to 5,12 and try ahain
That should not be happening, The only difference should be that Atti will drift with the wind. GPS hold will not.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:40 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2012
272 Posts
The new firmware doesn't prevent the FOD. it is designed to prevent a crash in the event of a motor shutdown. It appears in most of these FOD videos that a motor is going to full throttle before flipping.
leemann is online now Find More Posts by leemann
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Any hints and tips about the green flashes while in GPS mode at 5.12 ?
cropter is offline Find More Posts by cropter
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Jun 2010
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyrowland@mac View Post
That should not be happening, The only difference should be that Atti will drift with the wind. GPS hold will not.
No it is the attitude it has hard time holding that has nothing to do with GPS
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:50 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,041 Posts
Just curious if anyone has plugged and unplugged (one by one) all the servo connectors going to the S800s red block while the copter was on the work bench and armed (motors spinning).

Probably best to attempt without the props.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:18 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
963 Posts
Any opinion about whether the V1 WKM, which doesn't have equal resistance measurements on all the ports, really needs to be switched to the V2 WKM? It seems that the flips keep occurring, regardless of the version. Of course, it's better to take the extra precaution, but just wondering if anyone may have a more informed opinion about this issue.
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI Phantom on 4s with WKM