Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piscaj View Post
Looks like a sudden dip to the left and then the copter compensated leading to a flip to the right. Most of the FODs with S800s seem to just suddenly flip with no real indicator of a problem. IMO, this doesn't seem similar, maybe a prop or ESC failure on the 550 though.
Yeah, not sure... He did reply to my comment though, and confirmed using latest fw (5.14a). Isn't the latest firmware supposed to allow you to keep on flying in case of motor/esc failure?
c3d76 is online now Find More Posts by c3d76
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:09 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,458 Posts
I am not sure if a stock F500 has enough power to do that. I had one prop take out the opposite prop leaving me with a quad and I was able to land it hard. The S800 does, my M1 motor quit if flight and it was as if nothing happened, and so do many of the larger DIY hexas.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I am not sure if a stock F500 has enough power to do that. I had one prop take out the opposite prop leaving me with a quad and I was able to land it hard. The S800 does, my M1 motor quit if flight and it was as if nothing happened, and so do many of the larger DIY hexas.
Aah, I see... Thanks for the logical explanation Ed Good to know it works on the S800!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:22 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2011
90 Posts
I didn't see any parts and pieces flying through the air, but if a prop broke and took out another, I didn't see DJI demonstrate that in the 14a video. @Tahoe Ed, you must be one good pilot to bring a mess like that down safly.
piscaj is offline Find More Posts by piscaj
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:26 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,458 Posts
I did not say it was pretty, I said that it came down hard. Only loss was the two props. I was benefited by the fact that the hex was still balanced since they were opposite props. By the way, some guys around here have seen me fly and they know I suck, at least compared to them. I almost filmed the S800 on my iPhone but thought it better to land than film.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
976 Posts
Speaking of a 550 that does the FOD.

This video is from an RCGroups member who had his s800 do the FOD. He then transferred the surviving WKM to his 550, and the same thing happened. Lastly, he bought another WKM/550 combo, keeping the RX, TX, WKM configurations, and everything else the same as before, and no more flips. If the OP reads this and I have something wrong, please correct me.

GPS hold... (0 min 9 sec)
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Futaba 12z Backlight
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:32 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,458 Posts
Interesting story. Was the original WKM one of the early models? Did he ever check the out put from the pins?
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
2nd Flip of Death in less than two weeks time...

After my first "Flip of Death" a little over a week ago, I repaired my S800 with all new arms (motors, ESCs, props), using the same WKM that was bought new a couple of months ago. I flew 6 packs without incident this weekend; the first couple of flights were done LOS, the following ones FPV. On the seventh flight, while in ATT mode, it flipped again without warning. This flip was caught on video by a GoPro that was hard mounted to the frame. Seems that both times the flip was to the left, which may be coincidental or not.

S800 "FOD" #2 (1 min 34 sec)
azure is offline Find More Posts by azure
Last edited by azure; Sep 17, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:41 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
After my first "Flip of Death" a little over a week ago, I repaired my S800 with all new arms (motors, ESCs, props), but same WKM (which was new bought last month). Flew 6 packs without incident; the first couple of flights LOS with the following ones FPV. On the seventh flight, it flipped again without warning. This one was caught on video by a GoPro that was hard mounted to the frame. Seems that both times the flip was to the right, which may be coincidental or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58p9e...ature=youtu.be
Wow that was fast. No one could have saved that flip. I hope that with all the vegetation you were flying over the damage was minimal. Were you using 5.14a software?
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Yes, I'd upgraded to 5.14a from 5.12a. So now one flip with each version. I also moved the RC receiver and satellite down below the center hub so that both were mounted to the LG legs and completely unobstructed. Still with a DX8 and AR8000. I was less that 200 yds. out and clear line-of-sight when this flip occurred.

Question: Does there seem to be a pattern of the flights being conducted FPV when the flips occur, or is it both LOS and FPV?
azure is offline Find More Posts by azure
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:53 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,458 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I'd upgraded to 5.14a from 5.12a. So now one flip with each version. I also moved the RC receiver and satellite down below the center hub so that both were mounted to the LG legs. Still with a DX8 and AR8000.
I had one flip with the Dx8 and AR8000 combo. I could never explain it. I had no control and it did a dirt dart inverted from 20+ feet up. Destroyed a GPS and several props along with one arm. I sold the Dx8 and now use my JR 9503 and its clone exclusively. I still use the AR8000 receivers along with A7010 and R921. I have not had a problem since. I never liked that transmitter. I actually like the Dx7s better. I will eventually become my Gimbal controller so I can move my second JR9503 to something else.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytahiti View Post
have you tried those setting with the z15 on ? are the advanced setting same with z15?
I tried it today and it was just perfect with the Zen mounted. probably slightly better with the extra weight.

My machine of choice is a highly modified 3DRigid Henseleit Helicopter fitted with a Zen. But this is the first time I have seen a MR that was comparable in very strong winds. This S800 is a lot different in the way it flies compared to the first one (That Crashed). I was quite concerned about the lift off as it was blowing like hell, but even the take off was smooth. I know the heli wont fail me but I am still not 100% convinced about the S800. Only time will answer that question. I do have a good feeling about this one. Both could do a lot of damage if a failure happens so I move ahead with caution.
Mechanical failures can easily be avoided with proper inspections but electrical ones can come at anytime without warning. I think another 20 test flights with a fair bit of analysis going on and we will be good to go fly in public
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Last edited by dennyrowland@mac; Sep 18, 2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:31 AM
PolynÚsie franšaise, ╬les du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
489 Posts
ok thanks i will try also
flytahiti is online now Find More Posts by flytahiti
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Mar 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
Speaking of a 550 that does the FOD.

This video is from an RCGroups member who had his s800 do the FOD. He then transferred the surviving WKM to his 550, and the same thing happened. Lastly, he bought another WKM/550 combo, keeping the RX, TX, WKM configurations, and everything else the same as before, and no more flips. If the OP reads this and I have something wrong, please correct me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQiNf...layer_embedded
This just points to the WKM once again... I tried searching for flips with the NAZA and have not found anything (yet). But the WKM flips on any platform...

Quote:
Yes, I'd upgraded to 5.14a from 5.12a. So now one flip with each version. I also moved the RC receiver and satellite down below the center hub so that both were mounted to the LG legs and completely unobstructed. Still with a DX8 and AR8000. I was less that 200 yds. out and clear line-of-sight when this flip occurred.

Question: Does there seem to be a pattern of the flights being conducted FPV when the flips occur, or is it both LOS and FPV?
Sorry about your second crash
There is a new thread for crashed S800's:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732106
Maybe post your info there and they might also be able to tell you if they were flying FPV?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Jun 2011
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I have a friend with a MX20 and while I like the feel of the Tx it has some issues. The travel should be from -100 to 100. My question was when it was flying well, before the white flashes, what changed?

Which issues do you think the MX-20 have?
pal72 is online now Find More Posts by pal72