HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:54 AM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
883 Posts
yes thats exactly what they should do. As pre-order customers we should be treated with the utmost respect and should be receiving outstanding customer service. Lets sum up how things SHOULD have been handled by DJI :

1. Early reports of crashes come in. Action : Issue statement IMMEDIATLEY in public and via email to all known customers stating to STOP flying ASAP.

2. Recall all units ( as you stated at their cost using courier service ) for redesign. This includes checking all internal wiring and replacing the ARMS with CF or metallic arms that cannot be flexed by a child ( I have tested that )

3. Admit that teething problems have occured and go out of their way to make the customers happy. I do understand that as early adopters we took a risk. All I want is to be treated with respect and have my unit perform as described. I would understand and not be angry at all if this had happened... indeed it would demonstrate the intentions of DJI to act like successful companies in the western markets do, please remember DJI :

YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN YOUR LIVES..

please fix my unit. I consider a fix to include ESCS / ARMS and soldering checks.

Please please also come on here and communicate with your lifeblood, your customers. I am on your side. I want this thing to work well. I cant glue CF rods onto my S800 arms it will not work, please can I have some arms that can't be bent by my 9 yr old nephew? Is that too much to ask ?
jetbootz is offline Find More Posts by jetbootz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:07 AM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,384 Posts
Hello guys,

To be honest, I will wait until S800s returns from that "update", and see what people report. I am not sure, but there for sure was a reason to put the resistors there.

I preordered a "combo". So the "new" WKM with an obviously new GPS-unit performs really great, I get GPS-lock within seconds, also indoors(!). The Z15 is in a class of it´s own, but the S800 cannot hold that level, not with "updated" Escs, but in particular not with these arms.

If there is nothing planned from DJI side, I will think of, and try to replace the arms by CF-ones, and if this is not working, I just will take off the motors (maybe not the ESCs) and mount them on a CF-Frame.

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:44 AM
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Aug 2011
175 Posts
Easy enough fix I guess... but I'm with you guys... I don't want to do it unless I know they will back me up should it not work and not blame it on my soldering. They should at least be sending out new ESCs or better, new arms while we return ours. Ugh. I want this thing to work so bad, Jetbootz nails it.
skivvie is offline Find More Posts by skivvie
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:54 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
388 Posts
All:

If you don't want to do this yourself Option 2 and Option 3 are what DJI is suggesting. Also you need an RMA number as stated in next steps. This way you will have your S800 fixed by a person authorized to do so.
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:40 PM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper View Post
All:

If you don't want to do this yourself Option 2 and Option 3 are what DJI is suggesting. Also you need an RMA number as stated in next steps. This way you will have your S800 fixed by a person authorized to do so.
We also want ESC's that is designed for the job, not ESC's that is gutted for 6 resistors to reduce the chance of overheating.

About the RMA number. Not easy to get one when they dont reply!
They should be ably to reply to a simple email in 3 days...
sap_2000 is offline Find More Posts by sap_2000
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:44 PM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbootz View Post
Please please also come on here and communicate with your lifeblood, your customers. I am on your side. I want this thing to work well.
Is that too much to ask ?
Very well said!

It's beyond me why they choose not to comunicate with their "beta testers". That means us customers that bought the first batch of S800's.

In the past, their reps was very eager to come online a receive praises, but when something goes the other way = total silence.
Really tells a lot IMO!
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:51 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sap_2000 View Post
We also want ESC's that is designed for the job, not ESC's that is gutted for 6 resistors to reduce the chance of overheating.

About the RMA number. Not easy to get one when they dont reply!
They should be ably to reply to a simple email in 3 days...
Agree with you, I'm just passing on information as I receive it. I would send another email to DJI and ask for a status on your RMA number, that's what I did and they responded back. They are also going to ask you what option you want to do 1, 2, or 3
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:04 PM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Jyderup
Joined Jun 2010
395 Posts
Is it only a cuple of wires that need to be soldered??

I live in denmark and if thats it aim sure i can find one here to do that
Spyde is offline Find More Posts by Spyde
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:23 PM
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Aug 2011
175 Posts
You need to desolder 7 wires to get the ESC out of the arm, then remove 6 surface mount resistors, then bridge the pads where the resistors were, then solder 7 wires back to the ESC to reinstall to the arm. Look at the PDF, it's clearly laid out.
skivvie is offline Find More Posts by skivvie
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:24 PM
zzr
DEAF-POWER
United States, CA, Los Gatos
Joined Feb 2006
331 Posts
Nice Where you bought ball links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyde View Post
I just used ball links, then i can also move the legs in and out without the struts bending.
zzr is offline Find More Posts by zzr
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:30 PM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Jyderup
Joined Jun 2010
395 Posts
And how thick should the bridge wires be, i will try to talk with a electronic firm and see if they can do the job
Spyde is offline Find More Posts by Spyde
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:06 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,149 Posts
Accorind to the PDF you remove 33ohm resistance and you replacing it with 0-5ohm resistance, I wonder what that does.

cheers
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:10 PM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
Accorind to the PDF you remove 33ohm resistance and you replacing it with 0-5ohm resistance, I wonder what that does.
+1
I wish someone could explain that.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:22 PM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper View Post
I would send another email to DJI and ask for a status on your RMA number, that's what I did and they responded back. They are also going to ask you what option you want to do 1, 2, or 3
I just did that now. The 3rd email in fact.
-In the first email, I sent all the details.
-Then i got a standard email asking for the details (!)??
-I responded that I allready had sent the details, but wrote them again just in case....
-Then nothing...........
-Sent a new one today. Again with all the details and asking for a reply.

Is it really so hard??
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:14 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,821 Posts
Quote:
As I see it the resistors are being changed to a lower value (bridged) to decrease the switching duration of the FET. Reducing the time during switching will cause lower ESC temperatures.

This is merely speculation as I have not had time to look at the ESC PCB in detail and of course no access to a schematic.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member