SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
5.14a. If a motor quits I don't want the flip.

Been working fine for me.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
5.14a. If a motor quits I don't want the flip.

Been working fine for me.
Thanks for the info
c3d76 is online now Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
That is my point exactly. You are talking about some videos that really is a small % compared to the total # sold. Basically, we need more data as Brent suggested to get accurate results.

Disclaimer: I'm in no way saying those crashes were 100% user error. Trust me, I feel horrible everytime I see one of those crash. That is peoples hard earned money. I know the feeling, I have crashed so many helis, multis etc in my time. I have lost $20k in just one crash within 1 min of a test flight. I used to kick and scream back in the day of "trying" to learn my "hack" 3d with helis when they crashed. Now, I shut of the TX and go home because there is usually nothing left to pick up. I have given up the 3D flying.

Every time we test fly customers setups before shipping we are putting our money on the line. Because if it has a failure I personally have to eat the replacement cost. For a mere $100 that is a lot to put on the line.

Start the poll. I personally can't because.........
I had a S800 drop from the sky into the sea, DJI fixed everything after I sent it back to China. It had about twenty flights on it. This was after going from 5.08 to 5.12 On that morning two models crashed with the same problem. I did notice some instability in the new software. The assistant was crashing and locking up. Since moving to 5.14a I have had no problems. The other model that crashed that day had more than 250 flights on it. After the crash I was able to run the motors on different controller and it was working perfectly. So no doubt that it was a mistake that morning to carry out the upgrade from 5.08. The nex-7 was in the sea for no more than one minute but it was scrap afterwards despite all efforts with fresh water. despite no structural damage, the impact with the sea, was probably more expensive than if it had come down on the beach.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Last edited by dennyrowland@mac; Sep 12, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:40 PM
Portugal, Faro, Loulé
Joined Jun 2012
362 Posts
My problems with my S800 continue.
When I give a little of Roll it start having strange behavior and LED start to blink 3 times white and one time purple (in GPS mode).
At minute 5:25 when i give only Roll it start the white blinking and strange behavior
As you can see in minute 6:20 it start with the strange behavior and it almost crash, I was lucky that suddenly it become more controllable and I can land it.

S800 Attitude Status Bad (6 min 59 sec)

In this test I disconnect the gimbal and turn it of in the software to make sure that the problem dont come from that.

In attach there my configurations and settings.

I have 2 500mah 30C lipos with full charge and only with 2 full charges

The receiver is Graupner GR-16
The transmitter is Graupner MX-20
I have all the cables connected in the traditional way because in PPM the channels are wrong, even in mode 2.

I dont have FPV system or datalink connected.

Thanks
fsimao222 is offline Find More Posts by fsimao222
Last edited by fsimao222; Sep 12, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
857 Posts
Just came back from first flight with 5.14a...
Well, it did not flip, there were no white flashes, but the motors were sounding really wierd.
Like pulsating or something... It was not windy so I am wondering what could cause this.
-Could it be the IMU touching the frame (just repositioned it to make sure)?
-Could it be the gains? I am using the gains from 5.12 (220-220-140-150 / 130-130), did you guys have to change the gains a lot after upgrading to 5.14A?
Cheers, Ced.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsimao222 View Post
My problems with my S800 continue.
When I give a little of Roll it start having strange behavior and LED start to blink 3 times white and one time purple (in GPS mode).
At minute 5:25 when i give only Roll it start the white blinking and strange behavior
As you can see in minute 6:20 it start with the strange behavior and it almost crash, I was lucky that suddenly it become more controllable and I can land it.
Thanks
Scary! Lucky you didn't clip a tree
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Aug 2012
66 Posts
some test with s800 5.14a, recorded with the iphone

S800 (0 min 30 sec)
jukusa is offline Find More Posts by jukusa
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Just came back from first flight with 5.14a...
Well, it did not flip, there were no white flashes, but the motors were sounding really wierd.
Like pulsating or something... It was not windy so I am wondering what could cause this.
-Could it be the IMU touching the frame (just repositioned it to make sure)?
-Could it be the gains? I am using the gains from 5.12 (220-220-140-150 / 130-130), did you guys have to change the gains a lot after upgrading to 5.14A?
Cheers, Ced.
Did you re calibrate the compass?
flyingbiscuit1 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbiscuit1 View Post
Did you re calibrate the compass?
Thanks for the reply Flyingbiscuit.
Yes, I did re-calibrate the compass with no errors...
Are you using the same recommended gains as when you were on 5.12?
Cheers, Ced.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett1868 View Post
Having purchased the V2 S800 a month ago along with the Zenmuse NEX7 version I've been following this thread with great interest but thought now the time to get actively involved. I haven't flown the S800 yet, too scared after all the reports of unexplained crashes.
For every crash there has to be some logical reason, the word "Accident" shouldn't be used cause it infers no fault when clearly there must be a fault somewhere whit these crashes. has anyone though to compile a list of data of the crashed birds? Firmware levels, TX/RX brand & model, batt type, capacity, qty and brand along with type of fault, flight time & maybe AUW of the bird.
I think if enough data can be collected it may possibly help to isolate the problem. I have spent yesterday and today re-configuring my Sigma S600 so it has almost the exact same setup as my S800 then ill fly the hell out of it. Surely if it's Wookong M firmware related then the bug will logically have to show up on the S600. If no sign of the bug then the issue lays squarely on the S800 frame.
I'm an enginner with a background in problem determination and root cause analysis so if you've crased your S800 pleae pm me as much detail as you can and I'll start compiling the data, possibly it can help the situation.
My S800 will remain grounded till I'm %100 confdent all issues have been resolved. Those with S800's may wish to check their coverage for public liability if flying in public areas or join a club that has the appropriate coverage.
I mention the insurance casue I was hit by a 5th scale Losi 5ive (Truck) just before Easter and it'll cost the insurance company upwards of $100k for my shattered left knee. Imagine an S800 hitting a person.....
Great, thanks for getting involved. This is something I'm sure DJI would love. Kind of like bug tracking software (Jira)
shdwkeeper is online now Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
430 Posts
Quote:
That is my point exactly. You are talking about some videos that really is a small % compared to the total # sold. Basically, we need more data as Brent suggested to get accurate results.

Disclaimer: I'm in no way saying those crashes were 100% user error. Trust me, I feel horrible everytime I see one of those crash. That is peoples hard earned money. I know the feeling, I have crashed so many helis, multis etc in my time. I have lost $20k in just one crash within 1 min of a test flight. I used to kick and scream back in the day of "trying" to learn my "hack" 3d with helis when they crashed. Now, I shut of the TX and go home because there is usually nothing left to pick up. I have given up the 3D flying.

Every time we test fly customers setups before shipping we are putting our money on the line. Because if it has a failure I personally have to eat the replacement cost. For a mere $100 that is a lot to put on the line.

Start the poll. I personally can't because.........
Maybe for every S800 you sell you can give the customers a link to this forum for more info and troubleshooting tips.
shdwkeeper is online now Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Thanks for the reply Flyingbiscuit.
Yes, I did re-calibrate the compass with no errors...
Are you using the same recommended gains as when you were on 5.12?
Cheers, Ced.
Hi
I actually changed them to the dji recommend ones, so they were different from the ones i was using before, it flew fine, but it had flown well on the old values as well.

I did adjust the cog to reflect the addition of the zenmuse, going to try iy with the video feed and hopefully all is good
flyingbiscuit1 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbiscuit1 View Post
Hi
I actually changed them to the dji recommend ones, so they were different from the ones i was using before, it flew fine, but it had flown well on the old values as well.

I did adjust the cog to reflect the addition of the zenmuse, going to try iy with the video feed and hopefully all is good
Thanks,
And what are the recommended ones for 5.14a? I found the ones for 5.12 on this thread, but no idea where DJI originally posts that info.
Sorry for being a noob...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:45 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,311 Posts
I am going to use the same settings on mine with 5.14a.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:28 PM
Philippines
Joined Dec 2010
541 Posts
Hi guys! Nanotechs or Zippys for your s800s? I'm about to buy some lipos. Thanks!

Arnold
Ab74 is offline Find More Posts by Ab74