HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:02 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,476 Posts
azure,

I am interested in possible interference between your 800mW 1.3 gHz vTx and your 2.4gHz Spektrum. Also where was your receiver located relative to your IMU?

Ed
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
azure,

I am interested in possible interference between your 800mW 1.3 gHz vTx and your 2.4gHz Spektrum. Also where was your receiver located relative to your IMU?

Ed
The AR8000 is mounted roughly 4" away from both the IMU and FC (the satellite RC antenna is below the center hub on one of the LG legs). I don't see how I could physically get my RX any further away from either the IMU or FC without mounting it on the bi-pod legs.

All the FPV gear; camera, TX, SPW antenna, battery is mounted on a plate that is positioned way to the front end of the parallel, bi-pod CF rods and well off the the center frame hub of the S800 (>12" from the IMU and >8" from the FC). Regarding interference, anything is possible, but there is a LPF installed between VTX and the antenna, which in theory would mitigate this, no?
azure is offline Find More Posts by azure
Last edited by azure; Sep 10, 2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:48 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
The AR8000 is mounted roughly 4" away from both the IMU and FC (the satellite RC antenna is below the center hub on one of the LG legs).

All the FPV gear; camera, TX, SPW antenna, battery is mounted on a plate that is positioned way to the front end of the parallel, bi-pod CF rods and well off the the center frame hub of the S800 (>12" from the IMU and >8" from the FC).
Thanks Azure! Can you post some pictures of your set up?
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:49 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,476 Posts
ATTENTION ALL - I just want to post here that BETA means just that. It is for testing, and has not been finalized. You try at your own risk. Right now 5.12 is only officially released software. If you want to wait, then do so, please. It is better to wait until the software is finalized than try something that will cost you a lot of money if it fails with your set up. USER BEWARE!!!! You are in control. I have tried the BETA software with success on my multis, however, my success does not guarantee yours. Every set up is different even with the S800. The white flashes based on Rx placement is an example.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Tahoe Ed; Sep 10, 2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
ATTENTION ALL - I just want to post here that BETA means just that. It is for testing, and has not been finalized. You try at your own risk. Right now 5.12 is only officially released software. If you want to wait, then do so, please. It is better to wait until the software is finalized than try something that will cost you a lot of money if it fails with your set up. USER BEWARE!!!! You are in control. I have tried the BETA software with success on my multis, however, my success does not guarantee yours. Every set up is different even with the S800. The white flashes based on Rx placement is an example.
DJI should put that same disclaimer next to the download link of their Beta Fw's.
I noticed that the latest incident is also on a Beta, 5.12a...
I will have to pull out my S800 for a shoot this week, and I'm hoping that official 5.12 will not let me down... I'm also a bit worried about what the dismantling of the arms does to the contacts in the long run.
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:41 AM
PolynÚsie franšaise, ╬les du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
489 Posts
is there any idea about what could be the cause of so many flips?
contacts on arms ?
fragility of copper wires?
vibration ?
firmware bug ?
ESCs?
there is nothing from DJI
are they working on it ?
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:09 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytahiti View Post
contacts on arms ?
vibration ?
firmware bug ?
ESCs?
are they working on it ?
Silence from a company when users are having problems, usually means they are busy trying to figure out what is going on. And DJI has been very silent for a while now regarding the S800 and WKM.. If they had some positive spin they could use, they would.
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:12 AM
dji
Joined Sep 2011
75 Posts
the most flip incidence(more than 90%) on S800 so far we know is some how one motor on one arm stopped.
DJI strongly recommend all users to upgrade to the 5.14a version if you are using s800, this is the version by far the most reliable.
every time DJI release a new version of firmware, there always be some one have issue at the beginning, this is mostly because of setup issue, because the data stored in the controller need to restore to the default,and set again. but most users have not do this, but blame the new firmware instead. Ever time there is a issue, users will first blame the new firmware by default.
but by our record, although some users blame the new firmware at the first, most of them will finally move to the newest version over time, simply because it is better.
dji is offline Find More Posts by dji
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:18 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dji View Post
the most flip incidence(more than 90%) on S800 so far we know is some how one motor on one arm stopped.
DJI strongly recommend all users to upgrade to the 5.14a version if you are using s800, this is the version by far the most reliable.
every time DJI release a new version of firmware, there always be some one have issue at the beginning, this is mostly because of setup issue, because the data stored in the controller need to restore to the default,and set again. but most users have not do this, but blame the new firmware instead. Ever time there is a issue, users will first blame the new firmware by default.
but by our record, although some users blame the new firmware at the first, most of them will finally move to the newest version over time, simply because it is better.
Thank you for being involved and giving users feedback. Who is this from DJI that we are chatting with? Name?
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:19 AM
dji
Joined Sep 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Silence from a company when users are having problems, usually means they are busy trying to figure out what is going on. And DJI has been very silent for a while now regarding the S800 and WKM.. If they had some positive spin they could use, they would.
by looking at your thread history, people immediately know you are taking side, and may have some personal interest = )
dji is offline Find More Posts by dji
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:19 AM
Joined Mar 2010
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
I bet this guy wished he had.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ1MdK41UhQ
on this one on the opposite the motor goes full power !!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:20 AM
Joined Dec 2009
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytahiti View Post
contacts on arms ?
vibration ?
firmware bug ?
ESCs?
are they working on it ?
all those listed has been haunting S800 owners.

Hopefully one day, they will provide more informative instruction in setting up the software (firmware, gain range for stock S800) printed on pdf files. Some gains changes with some firmware.

Also for hardware, they will inform to us or giving us tips to reinforced construction, which are most likely to be the problem (or soon become a problem) on their frame. Safe position or location of Rx, Vtx. How to reduce vibration on IMU (causing white flash)

Of course everybody have different setup on their stock S800, that i agreed. But just give us the basic recommended setup or guidance (printed instruction) to fly their S800 (just the S800 without any gimbal attached)at least 80% near perfect. From there, we can tweak the gain settings according what payload/battery size are we gonna carry.

When can we stop guessing things like:

contacts on arms ?
vibration ?
firmware bug ?
ESCs?

We spend some money on (considered) high end frame s800. We would like to have a peace of mind during the flight, and just worry about the angle of shots, picture quality for the clients.

I have no intention against DJI or whatsoever, so far they have done a great job in multirotor industry.

Anyone agree ?
bozxky is offline Find More Posts by bozxky
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:24 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
DJI should put that same disclaimer next to the download link of their Beta Fw's.
I noticed that the latest incident is also on a Beta, 5.12a...
I will have to pull out my S800 for a shoot this week, and I'm hoping that official 5.12 will not let me down... I'm also a bit worried about what the dismantling of the arms does to the contacts in the long run.
That is what I have requested. BETA is just that beta. If you think that it is perfected is not accurate.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:27 AM
Joined Mar 2010
489 Posts
i agree s800 and especially zenmuse are fabulous . and I'm waiting impatiently answers about those issues
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:05 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dji View Post
by looking at your thread history, people immediately know you are taking side, and may have some personal interest = )
I sure do.. I am taking the side that I do not want to crash my expensive camera equipment. And for the record, I own both YS-X6 and WKM autopilots..

Edit: I feel that perhaps I should explain my current view on DJI. I used to be very pro DJI, and saying that I was VERY excited when the S800 was announced, is an understatement. But my excitement was soon replaced with disappointment, when I found out the S800 is just a scaled up plastic F550 with removable arms and all the known weaknesses still there including some new ones. Add questionable choice of motors and ESC's running very hot with the expected payload for this frame. Then finish of with a string of WKM hardware and firmware problems and there isn't all that much to be happy about.
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Last edited by jab; Sep 10, 2012 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Added some more information