HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:30 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5508 View Post
Quick question - with only aerial video in mind are you guys happy with the s800/zen combo? I want to build an Octo to carry a zenmuse, but my girlfriend is pushing for the s800 since it's not home built with random parts. She is paying for the zen/camera/half the multi. So I have to ask. I know the general issues with arm and vibration. I can gather there are a few very unhappy customers in this thread but the vocal ones usually flock to the forums more. So basically would you recommend it and do you trust it in the air with a zen/camera?
Ryan,

I don't think you will be sorry with the S800...it is a proven platform with the Zen and you have Full Manufacture back up.....If she is paying most of the TAB...let her make the final decision....You will be MUCH better for it......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:09 PM
United States, MI, Wyoming
Joined Dec 2012
330 Posts
Ok another question - Looking at aerial media pros. They have a full setup and one option is single operator Futaba 8FG Radio with 2 receivers. Why two receivers? Probably a dumb question. is it for adding a 2nd operator later? I currently only have a Devo 10 TX and would need a better one anyways. I would also be operating strictly as a one person flying/cam for the beginning at least. thanks
Ryan5508 is offline Find More Posts by Ryan5508
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:17 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,154 Posts
I have mine set up for two JR 9503's I use most of the channels for both of them. Look at the channel assignments for both the Z15, iOSD if you have one, vTx and then the WKM. I takes a lot of channels to control all those functions.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:18 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
I have NOT been to their site, but I am presuming that the second receiver is for the Camera/Gimbal operation......

Please remember that a Full Function Camera Platform for a Single Operator is a very Busy task, to say the least...Most AV/AP operations employ a seperate Camera Operator, for the best results...Not saying that a single operator can NOT do all of the functions required....It just becomes a Very Busy enviornment, for a single operator.....!
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Dec 2012
330 Posts
the plan is to start single operator and see how much video can be incorporated into her work. If it turns out to be something she really loves we will transition into a two operator setup. I would want to be able to tilt the Zen on my own while flying. The one transmitter two receivers option on there site just threw me off. I'll send them an email and see what they say.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneBuilder View Post
c3d76 -

Can you tell me where to buy Denny's adapters? I emailed him but got no reply.

Thank you!

DroneBuilder
Hi,

He pm'd me this a few days ago for someone else:
"I have adapters, dennyrowland@mac.com 60 Euros inc postage "

He must be out of town if he has not replied...
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Mar 2012
786 Posts
Graupner 14x8'

Sooo...

Just got back from a 10 min flight with the Graupners and first impressions are:

-More stable: I could tell with my FPV cam that there was less jerking and pitching/rolling.
It was quite windy today so I would say there is def an improvement there. It also sounds "healthier" with less fluctuations between motor RPM's

-Less power: I mainly noticed on full throttle climbs that it felt underpowered and less responsive/more delayed. Stopping fast descents takes longer etc... It's not bad but there is a real difference, feels like less "torque" if I could compare it to a car.
Once it gets going it seems fine.

-Motors cooler: This could be due to the props being smaller than stock, but I think that having prop pitch right to the hub helps blow air over the motors. Stock props are just flat above the motors...

-Vibes: I would say there are less vibes as well. Had my brother operate the cam for the first time so I got a few good shots of the LG, arms and undercarriage. I did not notice any shaking around... Same goes for FPV cam footage which looked good on the 7' monitor.

-Flight time: Seemed the same to me as with stock props...

I don't see the point of uploading a vid since the Zenmuse is as perfect as always, but I would say that apart from the lack of "torque" the Graupners are an improvement over stock.

Cheers,

Ced.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:37 PM
Joined Sep 2012
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
Sooo...

Just got back from a 10 min flight with the Graupners and first impressions are:

-More stable: I could tell with my FPV cam that there was less jerking and pitching/rolling.
It was quite windy today so I would say there is def an improvement there. It also sounds "healthier" with less fluctuations between motor RPM's

-Less power: I mainly noticed on full throttle climbs that it felt underpowered and less responsive/more delayed. Stopping fast descents takes longer etc... It's not bad but there is a real difference, feels like less "torque" if I could compare it to a car.
Once it gets going it seems fine.

-Motors cooler: This could be due to the props being smaller than stock, but I think that having prop pitch right to the hub helps blow air over the motors. Stock props are just flat above the motors...

-Vibes: I would say there are less vibes as well. Had my brother operate the cam for the first time so I got a few good shots of the LG, arms and undercarriage. I did not notice any shaking around... Same goes for FPV cam footage which looked good on the 7' monitor.

-Flight time: Seemed the same to me as with stock props...

I don't see the point of uploading a vid since the Zenmuse is as perfect as always, but I would say that apart from the lack of "torque" the Graupners are an improvement over stock.

Cheers,

Ced.
Thanks for that report! Very Helpful indeed...

I think I will try a set of xoars next...

BTW Nice Rig Ced!
UAV.Pilot is offline Find More Posts by UAV.Pilot
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:39 PM
Joined Sep 2012
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5508 View Post
the plan is to start single operator and see how much video can be incorporated into her work. If it turns out to be something she really loves we will transition into a two operator setup. I would want to be able to tilt the Zen on my own while flying. The one transmitter two receivers option on there site just threw me off. I'll send them an email and see what they say.

Ryan, whats your back ground like? Have you messed with Multi Rotors before?

Curious if you have looked into other platforms, there are many available
UAV.Pilot is offline Find More Posts by UAV.Pilot
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV.Pilot View Post
Thanks for that report! Very Helpful indeed...

I think I will try a set of xoars next...

BTW Nice Rig Ced!
You are welcome, and Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:53 PM
Joined Dec 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV.Pilot View Post
Ryan, whats your back ground like? Have you messed with Multi Rotors before?

Curious if you have looked into other platforms, there are many available
Yeah I started with a few indoor/outdoor micros and moved on to my F550 gopro/FPV setup. Which we thought might be able to produce some usable video but have been mostly disappointed with it. Girlfriend is a videographer for a living. Weddings and some corporate work.

I have been looking at building my own octo setup but she likes the idea of the s800 better.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:43 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
412 Posts
Did DJI not stop branding the gear?

I just got three replacement arms from my dealer and noticed that there aren't any DJI markings on them as there are on the other 3 stock arms that came with the full kit. If you look just outward from where they lock onto the h-frame my original arms say "DJI patented product" , the new arms I just got that came in DJI packaging have no markings whatsoever... Just wanted to double check because it isn't worth voiding my warranty in the event...

Any of you that have had to replace arms will know the answer I'm sure...

(been grounded for a month but will look into it further if need be)
apvxtreme is offline Find More Posts by apvxtreme
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvxtreme View Post
I just got three replacement arms from my dealer and noticed that there aren't any DJI markings on them as there are on the other 3 stock arms that came with the full kit. If you look just outward from where they lock onto the h-frame my original arms say "DJI patented product" , the new arms I just got that came in DJI packaging have no markings whatsoever... Just wanted to double check because it isn't worth voiding my warranty in the event...

I just got a replacement arm from Bradatech and I'm pretty sure it had the "DJI patented product". I can't check now because wife took the car with the Pelican case in the trunk...
But I do have my original arm here and "DJI patented product" is nowhere to be seen ^^. I think you should be ok.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:14 PM
Stay airborne my friends
USA, TN, Dickson
Joined Nov 2004
998 Posts
My original arms don't have DJI on them but the spare arms I have do have it on them
rc-mike is online now Find More Posts by rc-mike
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:46 PM
The greatest pleasure in life.
United States, TX, Pflugerville
Joined Dec 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvxtreme View Post

I have a spare arm that I got as a warranty (rebuild for one that ran to hot) and it does not have the "DJI" logo in the circle that fits into the lock down of the body. All my others (5 stock and a brand new replacment arm from DJI HQ) do have the "DJI" logo in that circle.

Just saying!

P.S.
The one without the logo also has an issue. The LED light (green) comes on at power up. It shouldn't come on until I initiate the motors for run up. It flies fine, but the LED light thing just bugged the crap out me because nobody could tell me why it came on, and / or if it meant anything. So, I got a brand new one to replace it.

Digitally,
Mac
Mac176 is offline Find More Posts by Mac176
Last edited by Mac176; Feb 15, 2013 at 09:53 PM.