HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:19 AM
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Aug 2011
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powking View Post
Curious if anyone can tell me what the updated ECS's look like? and what the difference in the arms means? Only one has a strip of carbon fiber on the bottom of the arm all the rest are black.? Thanks
Updated ESCs are the same other than using different value resistors in place of those that were originally supposed to be removed and bridged... and mine were labeled version 4 instead of version 3 if I remember correctly.
skivvie is offline Find More Posts by skivvie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, VT, Bristol
Joined Sep 2010
115 Posts
Is it not recommended to run the s800 without the landing gear/ support arms that connect to each arm? I was planning to attach my gimbal (with legs on it) to the CF bottom plate, but it looks like the sub frame/ top of the landing gear assembly does provide significant support to the arms.
Any thoughts? Looking to have a 360 system like the cinestar.
yeehaanow is offline Find More Posts by yeehaanow
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:09 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,080 Posts
Ferdinand I believe was flying his setup with the Z15 without landing gear. I plan to do so as well and use a modified landing gear setup.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:24 PM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,421 Posts
Here is the S800 without landing gear :
S800 Payload-Test (2 min 55 sec)

I do not think, the landing legs give additional stability

With the Zenmuse I use a different copter (without landing legs)

Z15 video blog 20120713: video downlink (5 min 19 sec)

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
448 Posts
Ferdinand, I really enjoyed that second video! Would you mind sharing your equipment setup including ground station? Very informative video with all the different feeds.
tombrown1 is offline Find More Posts by tombrown1
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:17 PM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,421 Posts
@tombrown1
In the ground-station there are:
Iftrontech Yellow Jacket RX
An EzTracker with Pan/Tilt from servocity
On the Tracker an 8Turn Helix and a SPW in addition

On the Copter there is an:
iftrontech stinger 100mWatt with a CL
A (three-way) video-switch: http://www.electronicarc.com/catalog...roducts_id=759
the HorizonHD cam
and an EzTiny

The nice thing is, that the Zenmuse provides 12V on the video-out which can power the Video TX, and the Horizon HD can be powered by the WKM (5V) directly (just connecting to e.g. to F1). The splitter is also power with 5V (e.g. F2). Of course you can take every other FPV-cam also, but with the Horizon, I have a "flight-recorder" onboard, which allows to replay the flights afterwards and to learn from that.

The additional weight of the FPV-components is 120gr (Cam+Switch+Video TX+mounting plate+EzTiny).

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:32 PM
Portugal, Faro, Loulé
Joined Jun 2012
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsimao222 View Post
Last night i downgrade Wookong from v5.12a to v5.08.
Today I test the S800 again.
Here is my first video:
http://youtu.be/RbH9oXMvIkA
As you can see in minute 1:10 when i push pitch to front a little bit the Motor/arm that makes that strange noise is nº 5.

Then i change motor/arm nº5 position to nº3.
here is the second video:
http://youtu.be/4zqDiwsr85k
As you can see in minute 1:18 when i push pitch to front a little bit the Motor/arm that makes that strange noise is nº 5 (again). So i think that the problem is not from the motor/arm but is from the MC.

attached goes some photos
DJI send me a new Central Plate because they say that the problem is on the connectors on the Center Plate.
We will see if it solve the problem
fsimao222 is online now Find More Posts by fsimao222
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Jul 2012
448 Posts
Thanks Ferdinand! Count me as a fan.
tombrown1 is offline Find More Posts by tombrown1
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:39 AM
Joined Aug 2012
21 Posts
Thanks for the info skivvie...and idea on the strip of carbon on the bottom of one arm? and not on the rest?
powking is offline Find More Posts by powking
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:27 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info skivvie...and idea on the strip of carbon on the bottom of one arm? and not on the rest?
I don't know about the CF strip, but I was told by one of the DJI dealers that, during the ESC recall, arms were sent en mass to a few locations. The arms were sent in by individual owners as well as by dealers. Some arms were discovered to have backward spinning motors, some had shims placed on the wrong side, etc. In an effort to speed up the turn around, arms were sometimes mismatched to form a complete kit, while problem arms were set aside to be dealt with later. As a personal example, upon close inspection of the arms in my brand new s800 with reworked ESCs, I noticed that all of the motor shims were on the right-hand side, regardless of whether the motors/props ran CW or CCW. Moreover, one of my arms had a small silver mark (from a pen) on it that was presumably placed to set it apart from other arms. When I took the solder joint cover plate off, I noticed that there was no tiny, golden letter "T", like all five of my other arms have. A CF strip is pretty extreme, though. My guess is that someone bought the s800, modified the arm for fear of it being too flexible (as some reports suggest), then sent his arms in when the ESC recall happened, thinking that he'd get that arm back with the other five he sent in. Instead, the modified arm, known or unknown, ended up making its way into your kit, which you then purchased.
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Custom Futaba 12z Monitor Mount
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:12 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
365 Posts
For those who are using the S800 for a while now, what sort of flight times are you getting from a 1 to 1.5Kg load? And what type of lipo(s) are you using to get this?

Many Thanks

James
Jdmagoo is online now Find More Posts by Jdmagoo
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:02 AM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
1,009 Posts
2x zippy 30c 5000 mah in parallell giving 10,000 mah. I have been flying with the z15 and nex 5 n, which is about 1700 I think....

Anyway I'm being conservative, I like to leave About 3.74v in each cell and with this I'm getting about 9-10 mins. I like to fly conservative..
jetbootz is online now Find More Posts by jetbootz
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:43 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
365 Posts
Thanks, ive being trawling the internet for hours trying to find footage of just how quick the S800 can fly without load, but all i can find is slow and steady flight. I know fast isnt for AP but still would like to see how fast this thing can fly in both vertical and horizontal flight.

Does anyone have any links they know of that shows this? Otherwise the nextime you fly could you please record this?

Many thanks

James
Jdmagoo is online now Find More Posts by Jdmagoo
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:57 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,036 Posts
Did anyone receive battery straps with their s800s? If not, what are some good battery straps?

Thanks,
AEM
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Custom Futaba 12z Monitor Mount
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:02 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,227 Posts
Quote:
Powking, all my arms have a CF strip embedded in the arms. There is a small tab at the end of the arm that shows the CF. I have not opened the covers to the escs yet so I can't comment on the version or the condition. I still have to balance the props so I will examine the escs then.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800