HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
slightly off topic, and just an honest question: does anyone else thing the s800 has the dumbest name ever for a multirotor? i mean come on, 'spreading wings'? did someone actually pick that, or is it just a bad chinese to english translation?

in all honesty, they're sexy and i want one. badly. but the name... omg. i'd have to leave the spreading wings part out if anyone asked me what frame it is lol.
For all the money and endless amount of hours I have had to pour into this freaking thing, just to get it even begin to fly properly, I think the name should have been "Spreading Cheeks".
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:39 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV.Pilot View Post
its not a hobby when your near ppl,prpty. Don't watch someones video and say I can do that
+1 operating near people in particular need to be treated with the same level of preparation as any flight of a licensed airplane. s800 size multi-rotors are not toys and can cause serious damage, but so can a Cessna. Cessna's and the operators are licensed by FAA.
I suspect eventually flight over populated areas and crowds will be subject to similar training requirement and possible equipment certification requirements.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:43 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
They shouldda named it "Spread Your Cheeks".........as Spread Your Wimgs/ Legs may refer to something that could be construed as pleasurable.....Main problem was...NO Lube was offered.......

In the beginning, it was rough and it has taken a lot of R&D by the users, to get it to where it is today. Does it still have problems....Yes...but it is getting better daily.....

Yep.....Thailand is a beautiful Country and Bangkok is certainly not for everyone.....! We have a few War stories there also........!

Damn Rancher...you and I must have been typing at the same time.......Oh Well......
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherpete View Post
For all the money and endless amount of hours I have had to pour into this freaking thing, just to get it even begin to fly properly, I think the name should have been "Spreading Cheeks".
HAHAHAAA Yes sir, i was thinking that same thing but didnt have the guts to post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
+1 operating near people in particular need to be treated with the same level of preparation as any flight of a licensed airplane. s800 size multi-rotors are not toys and can cause serious damage, but so can a Cessna. Cessna's and the operators are licensed by FAA.
I suspect eventually flight over populated areas and crowds will be subject to similar training requirement and possible equipment certification requirements.
Bo you are correct! and its not official but the theory will be some sort of FAA Certified training coarse or coarse will be a requirement. Soon...I will be there for you!
Which is the way it should be, in order to prevent accidents like we all saw in that Soccer Stadium, nearly ended in disaster for all involved. We don't need that sort of thing happening again! Simple knowing about his equipment limitations could have prevented that mishap
UAV.Pilot is offline Find More Posts by UAV.Pilot
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:48 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koptercam View Post
Hey all!
really nice to see some successful vids out there.
I've clocked up 200+ hours on the S800 now and have been getting more and more comfortable with its handling. I have also been pushing its limits weather wise and have flown successfully many combinations of -25 degrees Celsius, light and quite moderate snow and up to 10m/s wind.
AWESOME work on the video. loved it this morning on Vimeo in my feed.

and I noticed how planned the shots were, you are working in a particular track for the jumps, clearly knowing where you are and were to go. Im guessing the crowd shots were similarly deliberate and not just roaming around over the area while being bored. ;-) very nicely done.!
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
483 Posts
First comments on the seacraft arm stiffeners. They are like other secraft products, a well made albeit simple device. They look great.
Installation is simple but boring, be careful not to over tighten the red bolts and strip the thread, seems easy to do,if not careful. Use thread locker.
The non flying take on them is they stiffen the arms immensely, so are very well designed., if your concerned about flex in the arms this is clearly a good solution.
Weight before install was about 303g per arm. After 330 so 27g per arm
It's a lot of money for what they are, but Seacraft took the time and designed something that works. A+. Once I have flown I will give further reports.
flyingbiscuit1 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:57 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,258 Posts
So guys, I have to ask. Why fly over people and property and not use a zoom camera instead?
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:10 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
426 Posts
Nice! Good to hear, I just ordered up a set yesterday. Funny, I'm not buying them because of vibration in the footage so much as to improve flight performance/stability and overall strength. Got so excited when my new arms showed up yesterday only to find one of the ESC's damaged... grr.. It's gonna be a couple more days 'till she's back in the air...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbiscuit1 View Post
First comments on the seacraft arm stiffeners. They are like other secraft products, a well made albeit simple device. They look great.
Installation is simple but boring, be careful not to over tighten the red bolts and strip the thread, seems easy to do,if not careful. Use thread locker.
The non flying take on them is they stiffen the arms immensely, so are very well designed., if your concerned about flex in the arms this is clearly a good solution.
Weight before install was about 303g per arm. After 330 so 27g per arm
It's a lot of money for what they are, but Seacraft took the time and designed something that works. A+. Once I have flown I will give further reports.
apvxtreme is offline Find More Posts by apvxtreme
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:11 PM
Finland, Helsinki
Joined Aug 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
AWESOME work on the video. loved it this morning on Vimeo in my feed.

and I noticed how planned the shots were, you are working in a particular track for the jumps, clearly knowing where you are and were to go. Im guessing the crowd shots were similarly deliberate and not just roaming around over the area while being bored. ;-) very nicely done.!
Thanks Bo!
Appreciate the comments...
While some of the jobs we do can have the luxury of just 'turn up and shoot', most of them, like the one in the video, are events that we spend a day before scoping the location. We visually pre plan shots, and then test fly each run to not only work out the safest paths, but to also find the best looking shot. repetition of planned runs and then communication between the pilot and camera operator is a major aspect.

As great as it is to see companies coming out with complete RTF multirotors, i strongly believe that its the experience that has been earned by every one of us here learning more about how the system works, how its built, how it operates and even building systems from scratch that makes us more experienced and aware of the dangers.

Watching videos like the one with the S800 in the stadium really makes me cringe, as its these irresponsible operators that will be the shortcoming for all of us that know much better.

It's interesting times ahead indeed!...
koptercam is offline Find More Posts by koptercam
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:48 PM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Jan 2012
429 Posts
Shot on S800 and my Octo, still not happy with S800 stability...
Just an edit I have done... My very first attempt infact
Showreel 2 (1 min 45 sec)
Aviator1 is offline Find More Posts by Aviator1
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:51 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1 View Post
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6vrPP0hIOrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>Shot on S800 and my Octo, still not happy with S800 stability...
Just an edit I have done... My very first attempt infact
Dont include the iframe, just paste the youtube url and the forum will auto embed the video.

Just use this in your post.
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vrPP0hIOrI
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:53 PM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Jan 2012
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Dont include the iframe, just paste the youtube url and the forum will auto embed the video.

Just use this in your post.
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vrPP0hIOrI
Thanks Dolby, I was trying to be clever, when all it needed was the URL
Aviator1 is offline Find More Posts by Aviator1
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:02 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli001 View Post
They shouldda named it "Spread Your Cheeks".........as Spread Your Wimgs/ Legs may refer to something that could be construed as pleasurable.....Main problem was...NO Lube was offered.......

In the beginning, it was rough and it has taken a lot of R&D by the users, to get it to where it is today. Does it still have problems....Yes...but it is getting better daily.....

Yep.....Thailand is a beautiful Country and Bangkok is certainly not for everyone.....! We have a few War stories there also........!

Damn Rancher...you and I must have been typing at the same time.......Oh Well......
Yup, but you managed to get the "Lube comment" in their... but only because I had momentarily forgotten how to spell 'Crisco' and because they did not include any with my S800 kit
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:30 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Tooooo FUNNY.......!

You'd have thought that they would have included a small tube of K-Y in there somewhere...but Nooooooooo........! they did not even include any LocTite...so go figure.....!
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli001 View Post
Tooooo FUNNY.......!

You'd have thought that they would have included a small tube of K-Y in there somewhere...but Nooooooooo........! they did not even include any LocTite...so go figure.....!
Can you imagine how much worse it could have been if we would have gotten the KY mixed up with the Loc-tite!!??