HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:42 PM
The greatest pleasure in life.
United States, TX, Pflugerville
Joined Dec 2010
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piscaj View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it. I was hoping the retracts they came out with were called 'spreading legs'. But DJI dropped the ball on that one.
Nice! LOL

Digitally,
Mac
Mac176 is offline Find More Posts by Mac176
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:44 PM
The greatest pleasure in life.
United States, TX, Pflugerville
Joined Dec 2010
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony DeGarimore View Post
/\ /\ /\ /\ Like
Don't you mean >?

Digitally,
Mac
Mac176 is offline Find More Posts by Mac176
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:14 PM
zzr
DEAF-POWER
United States, CA, Los Gatos
Joined Feb 2006
336 Posts
Does it requires for blue glue? I didn't install it yet but I'm waiting for black screws instead of red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscatara View Post
I will try it tomorrow

zzr is offline Find More Posts by zzr
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:49 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piscaj View Post
i don't see anything wrong with it. I was hoping the retracts they came out with were called 'spreading legs'. But dji dropped the ball on that one. :d
lol
serrated is offline Find More Posts by serrated
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Thanks Brett1868, lets know how you go... Of course Futaba do have an 18 channel machine for a lazy 3 grand. I am kinda choking on that.
PerthWKM is offline Find More Posts by PerthWKM
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:11 PM
Osprey
Joined Jan 2013
269 Posts
S800 Zenmuse test

Not a lot of wind but enough to knock the S800 around a bit.

I was real happy to see how well the Zenmuse handled it.

This is raw footage no post stabilization. Flying with 2 6000 30-70c in parallel, pretty heavy and a little cumbersome but pretty smooth I think.

CSRR Winter (3 min 2 sec)
westsideav is offline Find More Posts by westsideav
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:08 PM
Joined Nov 2012
30 Posts
Looking good Olof, How are you getting used to the S800? What do you feel the big improvements have been in the abilities of it with the Zenmuse?

Thanks, Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideav View Post
Not a lot of wind but enough to knock the S800 around a bit.

I was real happy to see how well the Zenmuse handled it.

This is raw footage no post stabilization. Flying with 2 6000 30-70c in parallel, pretty heavy and a little cumbersome but pretty smooth I think.

https://vimeo.com/59617201
Tony DeGarimore is offline Find More Posts by Tony DeGarimore
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
482 Posts
Google translated the original Chinese name to Somersault cloud, which at the time of the fod was the absolute best name ever
flyingbiscuit1 is online now Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:44 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2004
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbiscuit1 View Post
google translated the original chinese name to somersault cloud, which at the time of the fod was the absolute best name ever
spreading legs'

蔓延的腿

French Translation is a whole new meaning--and nothing to do with clouds
Go4it is offline Find More Posts by Go4it
Last edited by Go4it; Feb 13, 2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:11 PM
Australia, NSW, Stanhope Gardens
Joined Aug 2012
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthWKM View Post
Thanks Brett1868, lets know how you go... Of course Futaba do have an 18 channel machine for a lazy 3 grand. I am kinda choking on that.
That's the radio I'm using, the Futaba 18MZ. Was having too many unexplained issues on the Spektrum DX18. I got the 2 digital channels working on SBUS last night so will assign them to the retracts & lights as they don't need proportional control. If you're prepared to drop almost $10k on the fully loaded S800 then $2800 for one of the best radios on the market isn't to much to spend.
Brett1868 is offline Find More Posts by Brett1868
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:09 AM
Joined Jul 2008
401 Posts
What are peoples thoughts on using the XT60 connectors for their S800s? Worth upgrading to XT90's?

Cheers

Jamie
Jelico is offline Find More Posts by Jelico
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:26 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2004
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelico View Post
What are peoples thoughts on using the XT60 connectors for their S800s? Worth upgrading to XT90's?

Cheers

Jamie

60amps vs 90amps not a bad ideal
Go4it is offline Find More Posts by Go4it
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
795 Posts
Ok, so I test flew with the Secraft anti vibe mod but like I said I never had vibes with the Zenmuse anyway...
I still get white flashes and with the stiffer arms it seems I actually need to lower the WKM gains. Otherwise I do not notice any difference... Maybe if I had problems to start with it would be a different story, but I still like the fact that I got rid of the crazy arm flex...

Is everybody still ignoring/flying with the white flashes by the way?

Here is a raw (boring) vid from the field today:

Secraft anti vibe mod S800 (1 min 54 sec)
c3d76 is online now Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:45 AM
Finland, Helsinki
Joined Aug 2012
76 Posts
Hey all!
really nice to see some successful vids out there.
I've clocked up 200+ hours on the S800 now and have been getting more and more comfortable with its handling. I have also been pushing its limits weather wise and have flown successfully many combinations of -25 degrees Celsius, light and quite moderate snow and up to 10m/s wind. Even flown behind it on a snowmobile to test its speed limits... its been good fun! haha (video coming soon!)
Here is a vid from one of the latest events we filmed.
Would be great for some feedback!

KopterCam - Stars of the Stadium 2013 (1 min 4 sec)
koptercam is online now Find More Posts by koptercam
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:46 AM
Osprey
Joined Jan 2013
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony DeGarimore View Post
Looking good Olof, How are you getting used to the S800? What do you feel the big improvements have been in the abilities of it with the Zenmuse?

Thanks, Tony
Tony, it is big compared to the 550 but it is so smooth. At least with the Zenmuse I have no jello or vibe problem, like so many here seem to have. I think the flex in the arms may be a feature, but only if you use a Zenmuse. It may actually help dampen the vibrations that all MRs experience when descending into the prop wash and turbulent air caused by turbulent airflow around the frame.

It is very different to fly and it takes quite a bit of throttle to stop a fast decent, I do keep my gains low as Patrick at AerialMediaPros recommended for video. I feel you need to plan your moves more. And it is fine to fly in a bit of wind, I am getting more used to that now, even flying in GPS ends up looking smooth, though I still prefer Atti. The POI feature is really nice. It is like the difference flying a light single engine plane full scale to a heavier more complex twin. It has a lot more performance but it also has a lot of momentum, you dont want to get behind the power curve.

The only problem I have is that at times the horizon drifts out of level. Patrick has assured me that DJI is working on a fix as this is a known issue. It can easily be dealt with by the camera operator.

And you really have to concentrate go get a smooth landing on a hard surface in gusty wind.

Bottom line is I think it is a great camera platform.
westsideav is offline Find More Posts by westsideav