HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:09 AM
Joined Jan 2013
61 Posts
@Stacy Cobb

Very nice and clearly good piloting.
The jello still seems to be an issue though, which is a shame. I never could get anybody to eliminate the same problem on mine...
RemoteRider is offline Find More Posts by RemoteRider
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:40 AM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Jan 2012
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vislaw View Post
I've been curious for some time as to why, assuming it is so critical that the IMU not touch the upper plate, is there so very little clearance in the top opening? Would make more sense to have a removable cardboard jig or other means to absolutely assure proper placement.

Furthermore, one of my S800s has the IMU in contact with the top plate but it flies perfectly (I didn't notice this until recently. Not sure if it shifted or whether I just installed it ham-fistedly). In any event, its never shown any issues so I'm planning on leaving it where it is.

I agree it is best to do what the instructions say, but I am somewhat of a skeptic about this issue given how well my S800 with the "bad touch" flies.
I am not so sure it causes an issue either? I was involved in testing a WKM H on a 2 stroke petrol heli... Now you can imagine the type of vibration on that frame it was really serious, and the heli flew brilliantly and held position in GPS with no white flashing lights!

Update: Just put my wifes vibrator up my S800, as thats what it deserves.. No white flashes
Aviator1 is offline Find More Posts by Aviator1
Last edited by Aviator1; Jan 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:48 AM
Joined Jan 2012
429 Posts
O.K I finally got out today and tested my S800, and it still flys like a bag of S**T I have been messing around with it now for over a month and got nowhere, apart from getting constant triple white flashes every other 30 seconds it doesn`t hold position well and when I go into forward flight the motors twitch and sometimes pulse and the copter rises rapidly about 10 or 20 meters until I drop the throttle right down. I just dont know what to do next with it? I flew my Octo that I built myself... in the latter part of the day in 20kmh winds and it doesn`t even move an inch it is absolutely glued in the sky.. I have been in this game a long time, and I can honestly say I do not know what is wrong and don`t know what to do next?

Just clutching at straws here but there was an issue before when people that used traditional receiver instead of S-BUS had some issues with the firmware... Is there a pattern with stability problems and the setup people have? I am using a traditional Futaba reciever.
Last edited by Aviator1; Jan 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Nov 2012
174 Posts
Finally after some modifications to the S800 , balanced motors , balanced original props , reinforced the arms with carbon the vibratrion lost at 70% (before the modification never i have white light just one time with 40 klm/hours wind ) .

Here one small video ( the wind is 17km/h ) before buy the Zenmuse ( i order today , i just sell one of my Jet and i got the 3500.00 usd )

12 (4 min 19 sec)

Christian
consoleworld is offline Find More Posts by consoleworld
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:52 PM
Hovering my 85" Katana
Austin, Texas
Joined Mar 2006
932 Posts
Since your clutching at straws. I have been asked to help several times by people that are having problems that they couldn't explain. I first give the aircraft a once over, check the proper setup of all component locations and orientations, next check the system for vibrations, next adjust each gain individually to obtain optimal setting, then check the proximity of control systems to RF sources, and finding that everything else is setup correctly, I do this. Reset the electronic compass. Then while at a safe altitude I add a small command for forward flight directly away from me. On most occasions, I find that the aircraft is drifting either right or left. By turning the electronic compass (GPS Antenna) away from the drift, left or right, I finally arrive at a setting where straight flight is accomplished.

If drift is occurring, I have found that it is causes a range of seemingly unexplained complications.

So there is another straw to grasp, I hope you get it figured out soon.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1 View Post
O.K I finally got out today and tested my S800, and it still flys like a bag of S**T I have been messing around with it now for over a month and got nowhere, apart from getting constant triple white flashes every other 30 seconds it doesn`t hold position well and when I go into forward flight the motors twitch and sometimes pulse and the copter rises rapidly about 10 or 20 meters until I drop the throttle right down. I just dont know what to do next with it? I flew my Octo that I built myself... in the latter part of the day in 20kmh winds and it doesn`t even move an inch it is absolutely glued in the sky.. I have been in this game a long time, and I can honestly say I do not know what is wrong and don`t know what to do next?

Just clutching at straws here but there was an issue before when people that used traditional receiver instead of S-BUS had some issues with the firmware... Is there a pattern with stability problems and the setup people have? I am using a traditional Futaba reciever.
Robert Youens is offline Find More Posts by Robert Youens
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:44 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Across the US, there is a declination/variation of about 20 degrees East in the Pacific Northwest to 20 degrees West on the Northeast. That constitutes about 40 degrees of compass adjustment. While it may not seem important, it does have an affect on the tracking of the compass. Try it as you may like it.........YMMV...!

Here is a map showing the varing differences:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...8/Mv-world.jpg
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
429 Posts
In regards to RF sources the whole upper plate of the S800 is in theory an RF source along with the arms? I know I keep refering to my octo, but it is the only other big machine I have, and my receiver is sat next to the IMU actually touching it with the FC just below separated by a carbon plate then below that are 8 ESC`s under another carbon plate. If it isn`t a hardware fault on the S800? and I am 99% certain it is not the settings or install.. I can only assume some kind of interference issue? My other machine uses Frsky module and receiver with a Futaba 10CG. Never had an issue perfect everytime. The S800 I use a Futaba 8FG Super with Futaba SB reciever, so that is the only real difference in terms of basics? So to satisfy myself I have stripped the S800 down switched to Serial Bus instead of traditional reciever that I have been running and moved the reciever from the main body out onto one of the arms so it is as far away as possible from anything else. I will test tomorrow weather depending. If nothing has changed then I will speak to my dealer about sorting something out with it as there must be an issue... If it does work it can only be one of two things, the switch to Serial Bus or moving the receiver away from everything, as the two systems I use have different channel hopping technology it may be that one interferes with the IMU and the other doesn`t?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:12 PM
Switzerland, GR, St. Moritz
Joined Nov 2012
35 Posts
Secraft Retracts-pro

I received today the new Secraft Retracts-pro for the S800 and they looks great!
They are very well build and the mechanism is pretty smart! I couldn't resist and had to mount them immediately on the S800. The movement is very smooth in both directions and they never start to wobble. And in the down-position everything is very stiff.

Secraft recommends to cut the tube of the T frame about 40 - 50 mm. For test purposes i did try to mount them without cutting the tube. But now in my opinion the whole bi-pod is way to high…

Does anybody know, if the length of the retracts has influence on the flight characteristics?

Cheers
Charly
Gbox is offline Find More Posts by Gbox
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:14 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbox View Post
I received today the new Secraft Retracts-pro for the S800 and they looks great!
They are very well build and the mechanism is pretty smart! I couldn't resist and had to mount them immediately on the S800. The movement is very smooth in both directions and they never start to wobble. And in the down-position everything is very stiff.

Secraft recommends to cut the tube of the T frame about 40 - 50 mm. For test purposes i did try to mount them without cutting the tube. But now in my opinion the whole bi-pod is way to high…

Does anybody know, if the length of the retracts has influence on the flight characteristics?

Cheers
Charly
Hi Charly,

I received mine also, but I'm going to wait for a few week until Secraft comes up with a fix for the occasional start up problem, that could lead to the retracts moving when you power them up. Apparently they are working on a circuit that will fix it and it will be available in a week or so. For now they recommend to power the retracts up before the transmitter. I'm flying with the SE retract and I don't notice any flight differences, I'm assuming the pro would be the same with 40mm removed from the legs.

Jason
piscaj is offline Find More Posts by piscaj
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Mar 2007
234 Posts
My s800 with z15 drops!

Hello my name is Juan, I have an s800 with the z15 I purchased in october which I haven't been able to fly, initially I had to wait for the new gps to arrive, and now I seem to be hving terrible issues with the alt hold! It just won't hold.
In gps mode, It will suddenly drop and I have to give it full throttle to compenste, if I try to fly a straight line in atti or gps it will also suddendly drop, maybe a meter or more, so I compensate then it drops again...... It's a nice coaster ride, motors sound like they are getting mixed signals all the time, like they are quiting and starting constantly (all at the same time)

All settings are ok I've double checked everything, latest firmware installed...

In normal mode (not atti or gps) it flies great, super smooth.

Am I missing something? Has anyone else had something like this happen?
Could it be a bad IMU?

I would apprciate any help, Ive been trying to get this thing to fly for three months!

Thanks!!!!
Craneman is offline Find More Posts by Craneman
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:47 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneman View Post
Hello my name is Juan, I have an s800 with the z15 I purchased in october which I haven't been able to fly, initially I had to wait for the new gps to arrive, and now I seem to be hving terrible issues with the alt hold! It just won't hold.
In gps mode, It will suddenly drop and I have to give it full throttle to compenste, if I try to fly a straight line in atti or gps it will also suddendly drop, maybe a meter or more, so I compensate then it drops again...... It's a nice coaster ride, motors sound like they are getting mixed signals all the time, like they are quiting and starting constantly (all at the same time)

All settings are ok I've double checked everything, latest firmware installed...

In normal mode (not atti or gps) it flies great, super smooth.

Am I missing something? Has anyone else had something like this happen?
Could it be a bad IMU?

I would apprciate any help, Ive been trying to get this thing to fly for three months!

Thanks!!!!
What gains are you using?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:28 AM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,464 Posts
@Craneman

Take a ( small) piece of foam (2x2x2cm) and put it in front of the IMU (to cover the small hole there), and see if that helps.

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfDays View Post
@Craneman

Take a ( small) piece of foam (2x2x2cm) and put it in front of the IMU (to cover the small hole there), and see if that helps.

best regards

Ferdinand
Hey Ferdinand I tried that thinking it may solve some issues I have been getting? but it didn`t make any difference.. I thought maybe in forward flight a draft was getting to the barometer and affecting air pressure.. But it would appear not, it would surprise me if they hadn`t already put some kind of foam over the barometric sensor inside the IMU?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:51 AM
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
What gains are you using?
This is exatly what mine S800 also do, it flies like a dream in manual mode, but in atti and gps it drops up to 5 meters
Stjernefoto is offline Find More Posts by Stjernefoto
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:02 AM
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjernefoto View Post
This is exatly what mine S800 also do, it flies like a dream in manual mode, but in atti and gps it drops up to 5 meters
Not completed my S800 build yet, but with my other wkm installations, increasing vertical gain has always fixed this problem.
plingboot is offline Find More Posts by plingboot