HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:03 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyf1 View Post
So, I've read this entire thread and more over the last week. Looks like the S800 has had quite a few issues since its introduction. What would some of you more experienced guys recommend? I'm sitting here on the sidelines, done the quad and the hex, I've got the money, and I'm ready to pull the trigger for a heavy lift with a serious camera on it. But I'm having a little anxiety hearing that after paying thousands of dollars for a ship, everyone is now having to strengthen the arms on their own. Any word if DJI is listening and will do a redesign on the arms? Should I take a serious look at Cinestar or something else? Undecided....
You should seriously look at the Vulcan multi frames
If you are in the U.S check out UAVproducts http://www.uavproducts.com/category.php?id_category=32

If you are in Europe. Check out UAVshop. http://www.uavshop.co.uk/catalog/ind...hu6tgeaokaopa0
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:03 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Cobb View Post
@rancherpete incredibly my S800 continues to get more and more stable with every flight. Nearly zero white lights yesterday. I currently have gel tape holding it but that is what was holding it initially. I think that my main problem was the fact that my IMU was hitting against the top plate. I moved it and that took care of 90% of the white lights. I got a flash yesterday along with a single red flash but the S800 stayed rock solid. When I got in from flying yesterday I checked the IMU and noticed it had started working it's way against the top plate again. The tolerance is so low with that it's hard to get it in their without touching the sides.

My main issue now is the Jello Cam. If I'm doing pretty little moves here and there with little motion it is not very noticeable. Here some footage of me flying around my church yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEST5GDbzcM

I'm wondering if it is my autofocus system on the GH2, which it well could be. I haven't had the chance to fly without it being in autofocus and I will report back as soon as I can.
You have to line the IMU exactly in the middle, some folks have added a small piece of foam around the edge so there is a little dampening between the IMU and top plate. Try that if your concerned about it hitting the top plate.

Also the gel on the bottom of the IMU is going to have some give to it, its best to use the adhesive that came with the WKM, that way it doesn't move at all.
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:11 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
AEM......

Outstanding Post and I 100% Agree.....

Having purchased the S800 as being "Billed" as the best Platform out there...WE, as users have had to do the R qnd D for their products, at a very High Cost.....Another Issue is communications from DJI, as they only communicate if a sale is in the picture....For the amount of investment...it has been a very dissapointing experience....
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:39 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
412 Posts
Haha, that was me. Glad to know you like them too, I've been flying the CNC props for a couple months now and love them. Posted them when I originally found them. The only thing is they take awhile to come in, cnc has to pre-order them. I have another set coming shortly as back up (duh should have ordered two sets to begin with) Personally highly recommended. I haven't tried Denny's yet but don't need to (no offence Denny, I know your work is top notch!). They even sound so much better and I have found they improve stability quite abit. I can't say much about elevation as I am pretty much sea level but glad to hear someone else really likes them too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherpete View Post
GSOBERG: Thanks for this tip. I am at the same elevation as you, 6-7K MSL and sometimes higher, and my S800 is very weak at this elevation. I have posted many complaints about this and your comment is the first I have read about another person trying to make their S800 function properly. I have had to strip my S800 down to bare-bones; smallest possible camera, ONE 5,000 lipo, etc. Do you have any additional comments you can make about these props that would be worth knowing about? My CF props from DJI were so bad that I went to Denny's props adapters and APC 14 X 4.7 so that is where I am right now but I am still looking for improvement because it is far from perfect. My lift is still significantly diminished due to density altitude. Any improvement over what I presently have would be welcomed. I look forward to learning more if you have any additional details.
apvxtreme is offline Find More Posts by apvxtreme
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:52 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
961 Posts
Given Bo's excellent work with the standard Zen and Go Pro Hero, it looks like there may be minimal need for the so-called Hero Zenmuse.

http://quadcopters.co.uk/dji-zenmuse...o-hd-553-p.asp
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI Phantom on 4s with WKM
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:08 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
Given Bo's excellent work with the standard Zen and Go Pro Hero, it looks like there may be minimal need for the so-called Hero Zenmuse.

http://quadcopters.co.uk/dji-zenmuse...o-hd-553-p.asp
The price is awesome. I will back order 2 just to have one as a backup...
Iceman575 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman575
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:12 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman575 View Post
The price is awesome. I will back order 2 just to have one as a backup...
Yeah, given some of the other DJI prices, the Go Pro Zen is a steal.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:14 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,329 Posts
@Iceman - That 10.000 BP seems just a bit steep

@AEMontoya - modding a S800+Zenmuse to carry a GoPro is kind of wasteful. Im thinking the HeroZenmuse might be quite appropriate on a much smaller setup.?
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post

@AEMontoya - modding a S800+Zenmuse to carry a GoPro is kind of wasteful. Im thinking the HeroZenmuse might be quite appropriate on a much smaller setup.?
How much does this thing cost???
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:28 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
961 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, I agree. I confess to just throwing that comment out there without too much thought; I was in the middle of keeping an eye on students of mine as they were turning in their final examinations. And all the students probably thought that I was behind my computer working hard grading their assignments and such ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:13 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Quote:

I know how much that is like 13.000 euro or about 15.000$. It's an awesome price. It might be just like the Retracts from DJI. The Go Pro Zen comes with a S800+WKM+OSD+Retracts+Z15(Nex Edition)+Z15(GH2 Edition). So all in all it makes sense too get 2 pieces
Iceman575 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman575
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:21 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman575 View Post
i know how much that is like 13.000 euro or about 15.000$. It's an awesome price. It might be just like the retracts from dji. The go pro zen comes with a s800+wkm+osd+retracts+z15(nex edition)+z15(gh2 edition). So all in all it makes sense too get 2 pieces
lol!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
fellas, i think you're over thinking the zen gopro price at quadcopters.

i think geoff has just added a "place holder" item to the store and that's just a place holder price until the product is officially announced with pricing.
plingboot is offline Find More Posts by plingboot
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:23 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,329 Posts
Im not used to being accused of "over-thinking" anything really.

My GF would argue to the contrary.!
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:51 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
961 Posts
Well I'll be ... Looks like DJI has caught wind of all this talk and forced Quadcopters to change their price to reflect MSRP. Take a look below.
RCG Plus Member