HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:32 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,692 Posts
Yeah, I love the zip-tie method, easier than the gaff-tape for sure.

Tried to use the iphone as a accelerometer, but it kept falling off the bad arm. guess that is a good indication something is not right there.

It seems there is enough play in the prop mount that S800 have to be balanced assembled. I did never get everything entirely smooth and could feel a few little vibrations in the finger, but that seems to be well within tolerances for the gimbal. meaning the rig can really fly pretty dirty. *** There is far far smarter and more knowledgable guys than me on RCgroups, just saying it worked for me.

@Robert. there probably is a market for conical head prop screws. to center the prop when screwed down. ?
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Sep 2012
60 Posts
Whitch app you use with the iphone?? =)
What kind of tape you use to balance the Motor after finding the right spot.

My first atampt for strenght the test arm with carbone was not so good i used to less epoxy but next try will be better.

Marown
Marown is offline Find More Posts by Marown
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marown View Post

My first atampt for strenght the test arm with carbone was not so good i used to less epoxy but next try will be better.

Marown
There is a tape that is make of aluminum I believe (silver colored, shinny). It is often used to tape metal ducting parts together. You can get it at Home Depot or automotive parts stores. It is VERY sticky and has good weight to it. If you apply it after cleaning your motor with alcohol the tape will stay on until you want to take it of. It also sticks to itself very well so you can build it up upon itself.
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,692 Posts
@Marown the app I tried is called "Seismograph" and have a accelerometer mode, but in the end I did go with the touching the finger to the side of the arm under the motor. totally unscientific but surprisingly accurate.
I will probably try the laser method, and ziptie a little laser to the bottom of the arm next time to get a feeling of how much the dot moves on the wall.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
@Marown the app I tried is called "Seismograph" and have a accelerometer mode, but in the end I did go with the touching the finger to the side of the arm under the motor. totally unscientific but surprisingly accurate.
I will probably try the laser method, and ziptie a little laser to the bottom of the arm next time to get a feeling of how much the dot moves on the wall.
Bo: Check this out. You may already know this stuff about balancing the hub but I think that a lot of guys will find this very useful. It gets into the hub balancing a little ways into the video. I confess that I have never balanced my hubs but I will now. Check it out.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:33 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Ranch,

Did you possibly forget to put the Link in.....?
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli001 View Post
Ranch,

Did you possibly forget to put the Link in.....?
Wow, you guys are so demanding! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=N02NHYrpA0g

Sorry about that
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Nov 2012
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marown View Post

Marown
No tape use more , i add the tape only for test , the best way is remove little material with dremel from the opposite side from spot .

Christian
consoleworld is online now Find More Posts by consoleworld
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:21 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,692 Posts
@Christian, Im not entirely sure about milling a bit of material from the motor with a dremmel tool. mostly because if I pull the prop and then put it back, it seems the balance changes, and my balance job did not longer work, in my experience the motor-prop need to be balanced whenever you take them appart.. So personally im probably sticking to fixing a bit of tape on the rig for now. ;-)
....at least until I understand this a good deal better than I do now.

Bo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Nov 2012
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
@Christian, Im not entirely sure about milling a bit of material from the motor with a dremmel tool. mostly because if I pull the prop and then put it back, it seems the balance changes, and my balance job did not longer work, in my experience the motor-prop need to be balanced whenever you take them appart.. So personally im probably sticking to fixing a bit of tape on the rig for now. ;-)
....at least until I understand this a good deal better than I do now.

Bo
Bo, i dont make to my S800 yet , but i make to my F450 for test ( is my experimental animal ) .

MOTOR VIBRATION BALANCER (1 min 28 sec)

MOTOR VIBRATION BALANCER PART2 (2 min 50 sec)

Christian
consoleworld is online now Find More Posts by consoleworld
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:29 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
421 Posts
That's pretty quick! Haven't taken mine up to that speed yet but can't wait! I believe top speed is 18m/s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Cobb View Post
Just wanted to check the speed of the S800 and this is a full speed pass it's a lot faster than I thought it was going to be. However I am losing altitude during the pass with the copter at mid throttle. Listen as it passes and let me know if this is the standard sound of the motors or if it appears to be skipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV_qG-HVffc
apvxtreme is offline Find More Posts by apvxtreme
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:13 PM
Australia, SA, Verran
Joined Dec 2012
79 Posts
Finally No Flashing White Lights (Bad Atti)

So I flew today. Didn't push it but didn't take it easy either. Finally flew the entire time without any Bad Atti 3 Flash White Lights. So Excited. I had to reposition my IMU. It appeared to be touching the top plate and I'm sure that the extra vibration was causing all of the problems. Here is some video that I'm sure you'll love. It's of a Vacant Lot, a Portalet and my home. Practice makes perfect.

DJI S800 - Flight Practice - Vacant Lot, a Portalet, and a House. (2 min 36 sec)
Stacy Cobb is offline Find More Posts by Stacy Cobb
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:17 PM
Australia, SA, Verran
Joined Dec 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvxtreme View Post
That's pretty quick! Haven't taken mine up to that speed yet but can't wait! I believe top speed is 18m/s
Yeah I will not be going that fast again. Was very surprised out how fast it was and I didn't realize it till I got back and put the footage on the computer and watched it back. It was moving and definitely more speed than I see myself ever needing. Still nice to know it's there if I'm ever do.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:29 PM
Australia, SA, Verran
Joined Dec 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherpete View Post
Mike, this video looks great. Thanks for posting. I had the same thought as you regarding all of the props intermittently lining up for the 'perfect storm of vibration'. It comes and goes and this has to be the reason why. Look at this little video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T96CFVokqZc . This would be great for what you are doing (or did the other day). I just used this method to balance my motors on the S800 and it worked very well, and saves time. I found that 3 out of 6 of my S800 motors were actually very well balanced already, 2 were pretty good and the remaining one was WAY OUT. I was also thinking of re-balancing the entire assembly like you did so now that you have suggested it I may have to give it a try. Thanks again.
This is promising. However when I take off all the arms but one. I have a hard time getting it to spin up full speed, especially if I'm trying with a prop. It seems the EMU tries to adjust for the changes. I was very happy today that I was able to get away from the white lights. I am looking forward to getting these props off and using some others. Would love any info you can give on the props to use. Will I need to purchase any prop adaptors. By the way here is some footage from around my home. It's not very exciting but it is raw no stabilization what so ever. Bigger thing then that is NO WHITE LIGHTS. Blood pressure actually stayed down:

So I flew today. Didn't push it but didn't take it easy either. Finally flew the entire time without any Bad Atti 3 Flash White Lights. So Excited. I had to reposition my IMU. It appeared to be touching the top plate and I'm sure that the extra vibration was causing all of the problems. Here is some video that I'm sure you'll love. It's of a Vacant Lot, a Portalet and my home. Practice makes perfect.

DJI S800 - Flight Practice - Vacant Lot, a Portalet, and a House. (2 min 36 sec)
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:33 PM
Australia, SA, Verran
Joined Dec 2012
79 Posts
Thanks

I just wanted to take a moment and say thanks for all the input. It's nice to know that there is a great community out there to help with things. Any knowledge I have or gain I will gladly share it's this that will definitely make the S800 world better. White Lights gone, now on to getting rid of the JelloCam.

What are the steps to get these apc props that everyone is talking about. Prop Adaptors? What size and pitch are people having good results from?