HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:01 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV.Pilot View Post
THANK YOU, i have tried several sd cards, all class 10, now the latest one i just bought 32GB 45mbs class 10 Extreme, i was able to get 16 minutes before it got the over heat icon and shut down. This was in outside temps of 70 degrees F.

I just did the mod of removing the back sticker to reveal the vent holes behind the screen, it helped but still

My camera is a Brand New Nex 5N with the latest revision firmware.

I am ready to buy the z-15 gimbal but for this camera I am really concerned and would like to get this 5N figured out before i go any further...even tried calling sony..they were no help and just said send it in..
Too be fair you will never shoot more than 16 min of video in one go. The battery life on the S800 is just to short for that. The most i stayed in the air so far was 15 min. Don't think you will get more with everything mounted on the copter...
Iceman575 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman575
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
i have close to 100 flights with my S800 in all types of configs, with 2x8000 packs i can and have been 24mins, also when flying action sports such as a race lasting more than 4 hours it was very important to us to get the longest flights possible, but the over heat keeped us from that goal.
We would have to come back after only 10 mins of filming to reset the camera, let it cool down and get it back flying...ultimately i ended up flying my friends camcorder just to get footage, it was crap but i had to get something...

So if people are experiencing problems with the Nex5n please speak up how you resolved this over heat issue.

Also how hard/time consuming is it to swap out the camera in the Z-15, is it something i could buy a couple nex5's and just keep swapping them out thus allowing me to allow proper cooling to the camera over heated?

just looking for peoples real life experiences, and solutions to a problem i see in my future.
UAV.Pilot is offline Find More Posts by UAV.Pilot
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:56 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Well you seem to be using a light gimbal as with the Zen, OSD vTx and so on i am at 6.93KG with 2 x 6100 packs. And with this i get 13 min of safe flying...
Changing the camera takes about 30 seconds once you get used to the procedure. So it's not that bad. So far i only had the camera overheat once in summer. I fly 3 packs back to back. So cooling is just while it is landed and i exchange packs... maybe 2 minutes. So far no problems on mine...
Iceman575 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman575
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman575 View Post
Well you seem to be using a light gimbal as with the Zen, OSD vTx and so on i am at 6.93KG with 2 x 6100 packs. And with this i get 13 min of safe flying...
Changing the camera takes about 30 seconds once you get used to the procedure. So it's not that bad. So far i only had the camera overheat once in summer. I fly 3 packs back to back. So cooling is just while it is landed and i exchange packs... maybe 2 minutes. So far no problems on mine...
Ok finely some real world data i can use, Thank you.

I agree i have a light gimbal persay, but I also flew the cnchelicopter POS gimbal with the NEX plus FPV camera, and a Fixed GoPro to gear, with all batteries for everything and the homemade crap on my rig it was over 6.2kg and flew 24mins with the 2x8000 packs...

I have been reading a ton and I mean a Ton of reports from people that have the Over Heat issue with the Nex cameras, there is a fix by placing a small electric fan on the back...Is there any way this is possible with the Zen?

Thanks again!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
I use my NEX 5n on a tripod for various recordings and found that it overheats in about 15 or so minutes, but I've yet to have the problem while flying attached to my multi (S800 with Z15). Before I started using it on my Z15, I made this modifacation for my tripod, that I found on YouTube. I think the reason I haven't had an overheat while flying is because I removed the back plate and fly with the screen slightly pulled off the camera body. My flight times are around 12-15 minutes, so I'm not sure what would happen if I pushed it. Maybe the tripod modification from this link below, that I'm using will inspire someone to come up with something for the Z15 and S800.

Over heating Sony NEX 5N Fan Mod TFX TV # 9 (10 min 57 sec)
piscaj is offline Find More Posts by piscaj
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piscaj View Post
I use my NEX 5n on a tripod for various recordings and found that it overheats in about 15 or so minutes, but I've yet to have the problem while flying attached to my multi (S800 with Z15). Before I started using it on my Z15, I made this modifacation for my tripod, that I found on YouTube. I think the reason I haven't had an overheat while flying is because I removed the back plate and fly with the screen slightly pulled off the camera body. My flight times are around 12-15 minutes, so I'm not sure what would happen if I pushed it. Maybe the tripod modification from this link below, that I'm using will inspire someone to come up with something for the Z15 and S800.

http://youtu.be/lhW1dbeGIaE
YES this is exactly what I have been wondering if someone has done this and applied it to our multis.

I am going to the electronics store later and will pick up a fan for mine and look for some heat sinks as well...

BTW I live in AZ, even in the winter its hotter than most places in the world...this camera over heats on my other birds as well
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:21 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV.Pilot View Post
YES this is exactly what I have been wondering if someone has done this and applied it to our multis.

I am going to the electronics store later and will pick up a fan for mine and look for some heat sinks as well...

BTW I live in AZ, even in the winter its hotter than most places in the world...this camera over heats on my other birds as well
Nice!
piscaj is offline Find More Posts by piscaj
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Sep 2012
60 Posts
Guys just wondering did those of you that got s S800 z15 replacement a after a crash caused by the FOD due to the GPS bug, receive a new S800 and Z15 or a repaired one with used parts ? Especially interest of you got a new s800 or a repaired one with used parts.

Thanks
Marown
Marown is offline Find More Posts by Marown
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:26 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marown View Post
Especially interest of you got a new s800 or a repaired one with used parts.
I'm curious why you want to know?

A repaired one should be as good as a new one, isn't it?
And what to do with all the old parts IF the machine's would have been replaced, throw them away? That would be strange, would it not?

Yes, by now I'm also curious .
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:32 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Guys just wondering did those of you that got s S800 z15 replacement a after a crash caused by the FOD due to the GPS bug, receive a new S800 and Z15 or a repaired one with used parts ? Especially interest of you got a new s800 or a repaired one with used parts.

Thanks
Marown
They just repaired my one.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:43 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Cascais
Joined Mar 2010
336 Posts
In my case, a new, but the damage were.. very ugly so it made sense change by a new one then repair it....
semich is offline Find More Posts by semich
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Sep 2012
60 Posts
Mine was really ugly too
Marown is offline Find More Posts by Marown
Last edited by Marown; Nov 21, 2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:33 AM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Jan 2012
98 Posts
Quote:
How ugly was it do you know my video i posted was it as ugly as mine ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqhwSX6VXf4
if you exchange essential parts of a complete system like you did with different props and mountings I personal count it as very accommodating that DJI and/or the reseller is taking care about your Flip. Are the repaired parts from less quality/function?
Topper_MUC is offline Find More Posts by Topper_MUC
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:54 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Cascais
Joined Mar 2010
336 Posts
oooh it's you! damn, your crash was one of the most impressive recorded, you are a legend :P but yes, mine was much worst and full of sand.
semich is offline Find More Posts by semich
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:20 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jun 2011
101 Posts
We just did couple of flights with 3x 10200mah batteries and get heavy vibrations with the recommended gains. Roll and nick have to be around 110, the last value is about 180. Especially with relative strong winds (around 15km h). The landing skids are vibrating heavier then everything else, flying is impossible with recommended gains
Button2011 is offline Find More Posts by Button2011