SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:46 PM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Jan 2012
429 Posts
Why not combine the two and post the footage?
Aviator1 is offline Find More Posts by Aviator1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1 View Post
Why not combine the two and post the footage?

How did I know that another tail-hound (or three) would chime in so quickly!? Let's all remember that there really is more to life than Multirotors! That said... the Multirotor is the ultimate way to get the perfect cleavage shot.
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
Portugal, Faro, Loulé
Joined Jun 2012
362 Posts
Hi,
I'm having too much vibrations on S800+Z15N with nex7
Before using zenmuse I havent seen so much vibrations.
In flight the Nonslip Damper comes of and the bipod Base Pipe start to vibrate too much. see this vid:
Vibration (0 min 21 sec)

See here the vibration on zenmuze:
vibração youtube (1 min 37 sec)
fsimao222 is online now Find More Posts by fsimao222
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:56 PM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Jan 2012
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherpete View Post
How did I know that another tail-hound (or three) would chime in so quickly!? Let's all remember that there really is more to life than Multirotors! That said... the Multirotor is the ultimate way to get the perfect cleavage shot.
Look up the DIY Drones UK Ardupilot group and you will see by the avatar that I totally agree with that
Aviator1 is offline Find More Posts by Aviator1
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:46 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsimao222 View Post
Hi,
I'm having too much vibrations on S800+Z15N with nex7
Before using zenmuse I havent seen so much vibrations.
In flight the Nonslip Damper comes of and the bipod Base Pipe start to vibrate too much. see this vid:
http://youtu.be/uwEMDluSoFw

See here the vibration on zenmuze:
http://youtu.be/6LRSCGMlU1o
One the first clip i don't see much. Can't really tell how bad it is vibrating.
The second one i know all to well. I had these kind of problems. Well not quite as bad but i had vibrations in the image. Probably because i use a Nex5 and that is lighter than a nex7 so the vibes are not as bad. Anyway the problem for me where the HORRIBLE stock props and the flimsy arms. I balanced the carbon props as good as possible. And it would work very well up to about 60% throttle. After that the arms would vibe like crazy. I still think the reason is that the props are to thin and weak and deform under load. that is why an empty S800 has little to no vibes. The same S800 with a Zen and camera has huge vibes.

Solution for me was the reinforce the arms. For now with square 10x10 carbon tube mounted with silicone !!! (very important). And i got the prop adapters from Denny and tried a few different props. The best by far are the XOAR 15x5 props. These are the only props that would not deform under load and if balanced properly (it is very important to balance the hub on these props) they have very very little vibration at and load.

So i short i would recomand you reinforce your arms (i will laminate them with braided carbon fiber sleeves next) and get some decent props on your S800. Also shutter on the camera is important. I usually set it to 1/80 this way i can switch of video in flight and also take some pics.

Hope it helps
Iceman575 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman575
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman575 View Post
I usually set it to 1/80 this way i can switch of video in flight and also take some pics.

Hope it helps
You can switch to/from video to photo in flight?
In the Z15 manual (p16) it says this about Shutter control:
"Current version can only enable capturing photo, but not for video."

I have ordered a module from another company to allow switching from photo to video, but if it works with the stock hardware please share how you did it
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:32 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3d76 View Post
You can switch to/from video to photo in flight?
In the Z15 manual (p16) it says this about Shutter control:
"Current version can only enable capturing photo, but not for video."

I have ordered a module from another company to allow switching from photo to video, but if it works with the stock hardware please share how you did it
It's quite easy. You take apart the HDMI converter, find the microprocessor and upload a new bootloader and firmware. There is a 50% chance to brick it but hey no risk no fun.

PS. Just kidding. I got this from rcshutter:
http://www.rcshutter.com/index.php?r...&product_id=55
Mounted it on top of the plate of the zenmuse so it is facing down in the direction of the camera. I just switch to fpv mode and flick the switch. When the camera is oriented in front you can switch modes easy

The funny part about all this is that this shutter works better when taking pictures than the shutter of the Zen. Quite often mine just doesn't take a pic. I am on Manual Focus. The IR Led is right in front of the receiver of the nex and still sometimes it does not work. This shutter is mounted 25-30 cm away facing at an angle and it works every time. However i can only use it when the camera is facing straight ahead and level or up.
I don't know why the original shutter from the Zen is so bad but it sucks. No video and quite often it just doesn't work...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
One the first clip i don't see much. Can't really tell how bad it is vibrating.
The second one i know all to well. I had these kind of problems. Well not quite as bad but i had vibrations in the image. Probably because i use a Nex5 and that is lighter than a nex7 so the vibes are not as bad. Anyway the problem for me where the HORRIBLE stock props and the flimsy arms. I balanced the carbon props as good as possible. And it would work very well up to about 60% throttle. After that the arms would vibe like crazy. I still think the reason is that the props are to thin and weak and deform under load. that is why an empty S800 has little to no vibes. The same S800 with a Zen and camera has huge vibes.

Solution for me was the reinforce the arms. For now with square 10x10 carbon tube mounted with silicone !!! (very important). And i got the prop adapters from Denny and tried a few different props. The best by far are the XOAR 15x5 props. These are the only props that would not deform under load and if balanced properly (it is very important to balance the hub on these props) they have very very little vibration at and load.

So i short i would recomand you reinforce your arms (i will laminate them with braided carbon fiber sleeves next) and get some decent props on your S800. Also shutter on the camera is important. I usually set it to 1/80 this way i can switch of video in flight and also take some pics.

Hope it helps
I second this! I installed Denny's prop adapters and it smoothed out my S800 significantly. I also siliconed 16MM tubes under all 6 arms. I ended up going with the APC 14 X 4.7 props and I am very happy with my setup now. I use a Sony NEX5N on an AV200 gimbal and I get very smooth video since making these changes. It was worthless before. I can now re-prop the whole thing for the cost of one DJI prop. Go figure.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, PA
Joined Nov 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
It's quite easy. You take apart the HDMI converter, find the microprocessor and upload a new bootloader and firmware. There is a 50% chance to brick it but hey no risk no fun.

PS. Just kidding. I got this from rcshutter:
http://www.rcshutter.com/index.php?r...&product_id=55
Mounted it on top of the plate of the zenmuse so it is facing down in the direction of the camera. I just switch to fpv mode and flick the switch. When the camera is oriented in front you can switch modes easy

The funny part about all this is that this shutter works better when taking pictures than the shutter of the Zen. Quite often mine just doesn't take a pic. I am on Manual Focus. The IR Led is right in front of the receiver of the nex and still sometimes it does not work. This shutter is mounted 25-30 cm away facing at an angle and it works every time. However i can only use it when the camera is facing straight ahead and level or up.
I don't know why the original shutter from the Zen is so bad but it sucks. No video and quite often it just doesn't work...
Just a heads up this one is cheaper.
http://www.flytron.com/rc-shutters/2...c-shutter.html
jayare is offline Find More Posts by jayare
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Hahaha, awesome

But you're right, the Zen shutter control doesn't work well on mine either. I think I'll just bypass it completely and mount the aftermarket one next to it...
I ordered the same one from RCshutter by the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare View Post
Just a heads up this one is cheaper.
http://www.flytron.com/rc-shutters/2...c-shutter.html
Wow, that is cheap ^^
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Wow, that is cheap ^^
More like the true value for such a simple electronics device. The current trend is to put a "multicopter" label on and markup like crazy.
jab is online now Find More Posts by jab
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
More like the true value for such a simple electronics device. The current trend is to put a "multicopter" label on and markup like crazy.
For what it's worth: After shooting photography for all of my adult life (and I'm pushing 60) it was a bit of a hard sell when my friend Bill tried to convince me to use an Intervalometer (like the one from Gentled for roughly $50 U.S.). I wanted to do what I had always done: click the shutter when the shot was just right. After all, I'm supposed to be the photographer. I ordered one of these things from Gentled and I love it. My friend was right: along with getting the shot you want you also get a lot of additional shots and it never ceases to surprise me how many great shots I get that are a total surprise, ones that I would ever have thought of shooting. It also comes in handy for time lapse work which the Sony's do not have a setting for. I have captured some amazing sunrises and sunsets with this setup. It's tiny and fool proof and your auto focus works with it. With digital "film" being free these days who cares how many images you have on a card. At 2 second intervals you will get a lot of them but as I said there are always some great surprises.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:24 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Hahaha, awesome

But you're right, the Zen shutter control doesn't work well on mine either. I think I'll just bypass it completely and mount the aftermarket one next to it...
I ordered the same one from RCshutter by the way

Wow, that is cheap ^^
Problem with bypassing it is that you lose the 360 degree freedom of motion. Unless you plan to take apart all of the Gimbal and solder some additional wires to all the slip rings... doable but not really an option for me

Intervalometer are useful but the problem i see while flying is that you won't see much. The camera keeps on taking pictures so you don't really get much of a live downlink. I tried something like that with the Camremote 2A for my Canon 550D and while it did work i was seeing a black screen most of the time. While the Nex is a bit faster to display the image after taking a photo than the Canon it is still an inconvenience in my opinion...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:35 PM
Stay airborne my friends
USA, TN, Dickson
Joined Nov 2004
998 Posts
I just did something incredibly dumb. I was testing different settings on my S800 and when I went to land I backed it under the deck onto the pavement. When I sat it down I instinctively hit the switch which I normally have for throttle hold on my helicopters. Well, as you probably guessed already, I set that switch up as the "Go Home" switch. Before I could switch the switch off and flip the modes to cancel it it went up into the bottom of the deck and fell back down to the ground in a bunch of pieces. Broke 3 arms and 4 props.
I was thinking of getting some of those prop adapters and switching props anyway. I see some people using APC 14x4.7 props. Are they the slowflier props? They sure are a lot cheaper than DJI props!

Also, does anyone know of anywhere that has the "O" arms in stock in the US? UAV products seems to be out of them.
rc-mike is offline Find More Posts by rc-mike
Last edited by rc-mike; Nov 13, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:01 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-mike View Post
I just did something incredibly dumb. I was testing different settings on my S800 and when I went to land I backed it under the deck onto the pavement. When I sat it down I instinctively hit the switch which I normally have for throttle hold on my helicopters. Well, as you probably guessed already, I set that switch up as the "Go Home" switch. Before I could switch the switch off and flip the modes to cancel it it went up into the bottom of the deck and fell back down to the ground in a bunch of pieces. Broke 3 arms and 4 props.
I was thinking of getting some of those prop adapters and switching props anyway. I see some people using APC 14x4.7 props. Are they the slowflier props? They sure are a lot cheaper than DJI props!

Also, does anyone know of anywhere that has the "O" arms in stock in the US? UAV products seems to be out of them.
That sucks... A good idea would be to land in atti mode. That way you cannot start return to home even if you flip the switch...

As for the arms they should be the same. You could get the X arms and just remove the plate and put the plate from one of your O arms. The difference is how the motor is soldered to the esc.