HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:20 PM
AEM
AEMontoya's Avatar
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koptercam View Post
Hey guys,
Really happy to report that my s800 is flying more stable than ever with the arm mods & Graupner 14x8 props. Still just waiting on a replacement GPS unit.
I the mean time, i was wondering if there was anyone out there using 2x GR16 RX and MX20 setups?
I've just recently switched the GR16 unit on the WKM to use PPM so I can get more distance between the zenmuse and WKM receivers as i was getting some signal loss, which according to Graupner was because they were situated too close.
I was having major issues setting up the GR16 on PPM. I actually own 6x GR16 units and only ONE works using PPM, and it was from an older MK quad. I am at a loss to why. Could it be the newer receiver firmware is not compatible with the WKM?
Also, in an attempt to position the receivers as far away from each other as possible, my PPM cable to the WKM is about 30cm long. Is there any reason why this shouldnt be ok?

Cheers!
Did you fly the s800 with reinforced arms + original props
and/or
non-reinforced arms with Graupner 14x8 props?

Just curious to see which has the large anti-vibration effects, the reinforced arms or the Graupner props.
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Custom Futaba 12z Monitor Mount
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:13 AM
Registered User
koptercam's Avatar
Finland, Helsinki
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
Did you fly the s800 with reinforced arms + original props
and/or
non-reinforced arms with Graupner 14x8 props?

Just curious to see which has the large anti-vibration effects, the reinforced arms or the Graupner props.
Yea, like many of us here, I first tried 11mm aluminium rods only zip tied to the arms and using original props (balanced as best i could). I really couldn't notice much difference and was still getting many white flashes. when hovering quite close i could still see vibration.
Actually, a good test i found to see how much vibration was going to the center plate was to loosen one of the rubbers on the bottom of the landing gear so that the horizontal rod had a little movement.
I then tried using silicon to fasten the rods to the arms, and after letting the silicon set well for 24 hours, i attached zip ties again. This time i noticed a much bigger difference and i could really feel an improvement in flight.
I flew like this for about 15-20 flights (still on old GPS and before the recall).
After receiving Denny's props adapters, i transfered all the props to Graupner 14x8's. I did spend a good few hours attaching each prop individually, making sure that the 6-8mm insert was perfectly centered and a good fit and tested each arm one by one for vibration at idle speed and at full throttle. Im glad i did this because one arm i noticed gave quite a bit of vibration at 3/4 throttle because the insert had the tiniest (probably 0.1-0.2mm) bit of movement on the shaft.

Happy to say, The first flight with the new props was very successful. I had to up the gains a bit, particularly the altitude gain went from 135 to 195. There was, from what i could tell, no vibration and in turn no white flashes. These props are also much quieter! However...using these props did cut my battery time down by about 1-2min, now getting only 12min (2x 5000mah), and i also noticed a bit of loss in speed which is not really a major factor when doing AP...and then the recall happened :/

I have mixed feelings about the recall, part of me is happy that they are really looking into the FOD problem and (apparently) came up with a solution, but on the other hand after about 50-60 successful flights, and reading about every FOD i could, i really couldnt see a pattern to tie it to the GPS, so i was a little reluctant to send it back...
koptercam is offline Find More Posts by koptercam
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:39 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Sid3ways's Avatar
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,072 Posts
I have a random question I wanted to ask you guys. I'm contemplating moving to Anderson Power Poles. Do you guys use the 45A version or are people moving up to the larger sized connectors for these applications?

I currently use EC5 connectors but haven't been happy with how difficult it has been to remove those.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:38 AM
Registered User
Portugal, Lisbon, Cascais
Joined Mar 2010
332 Posts
Fod

Hello Guru's,

did anybody has run new tests since the recall?
semich is offline Find More Posts by semich
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:04 AM
Registered User
rruiz's Avatar
Joined Oct 2012
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
Did you fly the s800 with reinforced arms + original props
and/or
non-reinforced arms with Graupner 14x8 props?

Just curious to see which has the large anti-vibration effects, the reinforced arms or the Graupner props.
At what SEA LEVEL all of you are flying? Could be interesting to know (I am at 4200 meters): I updated the Google Doc:
http://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/c...XSjBxdGc#gid=1


Regards

Roberto
Still waiting to Fly with new GPS...
rruiz is offline Find More Posts by rruiz
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:17 AM
AEM
AEMontoya's Avatar
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koptercam View Post
I flew like this for about 15-20 flights (still on old GPS and before the recall).

I have mixed feelings about the recall, part of me is happy that they are really looking into the FOD problem and (apparently) came up with a solution, but on the other hand after about 50-60 successful flights, and reading about every FOD i could, i really couldnt see a pattern to tie it to the GPS, so i was a little reluctant to send it back...
When you say that you still had the old GPS, and you sent back the old GPS for replacement, do you mean the V1 GPS with the black tabs on the sides that is alleged to be just fine? I'm just wondering, because that is the GPS I have, and I've been wondering if perhaps it would be prudent to have that replaced with the newest version, just to be safe. However, DJI sent me a somewhat ambiguous message about whether they'd replace it or not.
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Custom Futaba 12z Monitor Mount
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:24 AM
Stay airborne my friends
rc-mike's Avatar
USA, TN, Dickson
Joined Nov 2004
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruiz View Post
At what SEA LEVEL all of you are flying? Could be interesting to know (I am at 4200 meters): I updated the Google Doc:
http://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/c...XSjBxdGc#gid=1


Regards

Roberto
Still waiting to Fly with new GPS...
Just a quick observation on the spreadsheet. The gains of the people who had a FOD were quite a bit higher than the ones that didn't have a FOD. I haven't experimented with my WKM much but on my Naza I noticed it was much more likely to act up when the gains were higher. Might be nothing but I thought it was curious.
rc-mike is offline Find More Posts by rc-mike
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:34 AM
Registered User
Aaalie's Avatar
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
564 Posts
Newest hardware does not always mean it is the best. The new GPS/magneto does not ad anything to the functionality of the platform.

Sometimes a new piece of hardware can also mean:
-cheaper ways to produce
-cheaper components with the same function
-redesigned with other components because of components that are no longer available (combined with new firmware)
-etc.etc.

It also does not mean that the new GPS/magneto is not as good as the old one, or better than the old one, it's just a new model.
I for sure am happy with the "old" model with the black tabs at the side.
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:44 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
123 Posts
I have to agree. I have a WKM from the very first batch made and not one issue so far.
If something is working they try to find a cheaper way to produce and this is were the
trouble begins. I bet the first one WKM´s are better made than the stuff you get now.
Hypam is offline Find More Posts by Hypam
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:45 AM
Registered User
koptercam's Avatar
Finland, Helsinki
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-mike View Post
Just a quick observation on the spreadsheet. The gains of the people who had a FOD were quite a bit higher than the ones that didn't have a FOD. I haven't experimented with my WKM much but on my Naza I noticed it was much more likely to act up when the gains were higher. Might be nothing but I thought it was curious.
I know Denny noted in a previous post long ago in this thread that he upped his gains until the s800 was vibrating and toilet bowling to test if high gains would result in FOD...but it didn't.
koptercam is offline Find More Posts by koptercam
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:48 AM
Registered User
koptercam's Avatar
Finland, Helsinki
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
When you say that you still had the old GPS, and you sent back the old GPS for replacement, do you mean the V1 GPS with the black tabs on the sides that is alleged to be just fine? I'm just wondering, because that is the GPS I have, and I've been wondering if perhaps it would be prudent to have that replaced with the newest version, just to be safe. However, DJI sent me a somewhat ambiguous message about whether they'd replace it or not.
ah yes, to clarify i was using the V2 GPS without the tabs and everything seemed to be fine. you never know... these replacements they are providing could actually be V1 old stock i guess theres no real way to know without taking it apart and having another to compare with.
koptercam is offline Find More Posts by koptercam
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:36 PM
Registered User
rruiz's Avatar
Joined Oct 2012
404 Posts
GoPro Hero 2 vs Hero 3

I love this web page (always good things)... take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZvPB...digest-newavtr

Regards

Roberto
rruiz is offline Find More Posts by rruiz
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:00 AM
Registered User
Portugal, Lisbon, Cascais
Joined Mar 2010
332 Posts
This went on TV last night, seems it was filmed 10 months ago. This is in Chinese only so you might not understand anything or nothing at all, but images you might understand part of by watching The guy that speak the most is the owner/creator of DJI...

http://tv.cntv.cn/video/C22786/20121108100068

Hope to see this published on youtube soon, with translation
semich is offline Find More Posts by semich
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:08 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
483 Posts
I bet he has grey hair by now.....
flyingbiscuit1 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:06 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,937 Posts
It is my understanding that there is more than one partner. I wonder which one this is?
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion My DJI Spreading Wings S800 just came in the mail and I think I'm in trouble jasper7821 Multirotor Talk 219 Oct 16, 2012 05:11 PM
New Product DJI Spreading Wings S-800 Hexa multi-rotor sidneyw Multirotor Talk 930 Jun 22, 2012 10:14 AM
Discussion DJI Spread Wings S800 and Zenmuse Z15 prices are out! tpnitro Multirotor Talk 120 Jun 19, 2012 01:27 AM
Discussion DJI S800 Spreading Wings has landed at Quadcopters UK Headquarters QuadcoptersUk Multirotor Talk 8 May 14, 2012 01:27 PM
Discussion Dji Spreading Wings (S800) coming Huluhulu Multirotor Talk 7 Apr 27, 2012 03:11 AM