Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:03 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
412 Posts
Are you flying with the old compass? Just curious, I sent mine in last week. Just waiting for a second bipod so I don't have to risk the Z15 without GPS...

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV.Pilot View Post
Still getting bad vibrations in wind of 5 kts and above, this weekend I flew 9 flights throughout the day over water, people ext...the DJI S800 did well, but the vibs causing Jello is frustrating to say the least...

Looking at another gimbal for it...

As far as the mechanics I feel 98% in it... with over 75 flights now..

Still have white flashes and occasional red.

D
apvxtreme is offline Find More Posts by apvxtreme
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:08 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
412 Posts
This is why I'm prototyping a raincoat for the centre plate. I'll post pics as soon as I get anywhere with it. Going to the dollar store today for supplies! (hah, $25k in and yes I still go to the dollar store...) As for ESC's on the S800, why not just run a strip of hot glue around the edges where the plate screws on? Or am I missing something? I saw a video awhile back where DJI was at a convention and told a UK reporter that the motors were completely weatherproof but the center plate wasn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Button2011 View Post
Completely different question:
Would you fly your s800 when snow is falling?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvxtreme View Post
Are you flying with the old compass? Just curious, I sent mine in last week. Just waiting for a second bipod so I don't have to risk the Z15 without GPS...

Jay

Yes, here is what mine looks like...

Looking at investing in a real camera gimbal to fly one of my Nex5's

Name: DSC01082.JPG
Views: 256
Size: 186.6 KB
Description:
UAV.Pilot is offline Find More Posts by UAV.Pilot
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:36 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
The esc are glued down 2 sided tape works like gasket.
So the esc is kind of water proof from the bottom.
Spinning Props will prevent water snow from the motor top.
Pluss the esc looks like they where submerged in silicon.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:50 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,039 Posts
Quote:
Yes, here is what mine looks like...

Looking at investing in a real camera gimbal to fly one of my Nex5's
If only DJI had a real camera gimbal solution for the Nex5.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:58 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
249 Posts
Finally had my first flight with the Z15n attached.

DJI S800 + Z15n First Flight (2 min 33 sec)

Had some white flashes so was being very cautious!

Got some info from DJI to try to reduce the white flashes.

Need to adjust the COG also... think that caused the twitchy banking about 20 secs into the flight.
Huddo is offline Find More Posts by Huddo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:22 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
496 Posts
Nice! You look happy .
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
If only DJI had a real camera gimbal solution for the Nex5.
I was not referring to the Zen, everyone and their grandma could buy the zen and make a video, "what I was talking about" is up until this weekend I wouldn't invest another RED cent into something I am not 100% confident would last, but now I am feeling a bit better about it, meaning I am trusting it a little bit more.

I would love a Zen, I do think it is the ultimate gimbal for the NEX ext. , but once again I want to get to the bottom of my vibration issues first, not just mask them with a 3500 dollar gimbal, In forward flight and descends "ALL" of my footage is not usable, and for me this blows because this same little gopro gimbal on my witespy 450 takes AMAZING footage...

I filmed a 4 hour long boat race this weekend over water and the S800 did well in regards to Not spinning out of control and crashing and impressing everyone that saw it, which is no less than 1000 people, but most of the S800 video is just not up to par. cause=vibrations

I am going to try to load it with more battery weight, this might help I was told

and Yes I am saving my pennies for a Zen, in a few months from now none of this will matter anyhow. Looks like I am headed back to kicking a s s e s and filming from FL180+
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:01 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyde View Post
Just fly between the snowflakes ;-).
I have clients with different types of resorts that would love to get aerial footage during winter, ski hills, trails, winter festivals, real estate... I would love to be a hobbyist but when looking for ROI after so much invested I can't let a few snowflakes get in the way.

That being said the trick is to fly as safely as possible so visibility has to be fair at the least, pre-warm lipos for best performance but the biggest trick for me is keeping the electronics in the centre plate dry.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:14 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,919 Posts
I have flown in the snow many times. In a blizzard, no. But most of the time the snow falls and the wind is light. Perfect flying. The big issue is the cold. Flight times are shorter and sometimes the escs don't want to arm. Time in the car and lipos next to the body to keep them warm solve most of the issues.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lightbridge set up
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I have flown in the snow many times. In a blizzard, no. But most of the time the snow falls and the wind is light. Perfect flying. The big issue is the cold. Flight times are shorter and sometimes the escs don't want to arm. Time in the car and lipos next to the body to keep them warm solve most of the issues.

This is the best advise to fly in the cold, we have been flying elec foamys in the mountains of afghan for years. I just used my pocket warmers in my jacket pockets along side my lipos and had no issues except shorter flight times.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Apr 2012
482 Posts
Quote:
I was not referring to the Zen, everyone and their grandma could buy the zen and make a video, "
I filmed a 4 hour long boat race this weekend over water and the S800 did well in regards to Not spinning out of control and crashing and impressing everyone that saw it, which is no less than 1000 people, but most of the S800 video is just not up to par. cause=vibrations

I am going to try to load it with more battery weight, this might help I was told

and Yes I am saving my pennies for a Zen, in a few months from now none of this will matter anyhow. Looks like I am headed back to kicking a s s e s and filming from FL180+
That was exactly my experience with a hard mounted go pro, jello caused by vibration, not the best place for an aerial platform to start from. It's hard to recommend it without a good passive vibration reduction system. Of course the z15 has that with the rubber grommets, a simple but critical part of the system, and of course the camera needs to be heavy enough to make the rubber gromets work.
Good luck with your flights
flyingbiscuit1 is online now Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
482 Posts
Green Flash

Does anyone have experince with getting a green flash during flight, it says it;s no IMU data, but the aircraft seems to fly. It seems to happen more in bumpy conditions, white flashes I can deal with Green ones make me nervous, anyone any ideas what might cause them. I read somewhere it could be a canbus issue? thoughts?

thanks
FB
flyingbiscuit1 is online now Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
66 Posts
Hi yesterday i have seen some green flash light, but i continue to fly. Don t have problem.wonder what it does mean...maybe due to the vibration?
jukusa is offline Find More Posts by jukusa
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Mar 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbiscuit1 View Post
Does anyone have experince with getting a green flash during flight, it says it;s no IMU data, but the aircraft seems to fly. It seems to happen more in bumpy conditions, white flashes I can deal with Green ones make me nervous, anyone any ideas what might cause them. I read somewhere it could be a canbus issue? thoughts?
It sounds like you have a connection issue. Can you tell if the GPS is still working when in gps/atti when flashing?
TioDave is offline Find More Posts by TioDave