HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaalie View Post
Could you remember if the GPS/magneto came loose during the crash, or maybe before? The mounting is still intact.
I think that it became loose under the crash
Stjernefoto is offline Find More Posts by Stjernefoto
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:42 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Hi all,

after a long brake waiting for spare parts today I worked on the flipped S800 again.
I got a replacement IMU since this was supposed to be the cause of the flip, BUT:

I was just desoldering ESC Nr.4 because the arm was broken. Before the soldering iron even touched it, the copper cable for the control signal came off with its soldering pad. You can see it in the second photo, it is the cable in the middle. I think that could also have been the cause for the flip: ESC Nr4. suddenly got no signal while flying.

I think the small soldering pads in combination with the strong and stiff copper wires could be a weak point on all the ESCs, what do you think ?
Maybe everyone whos S800 flipped should check all the ESC cables..
cropter is offline Find More Posts by cropter
Last edited by cropter; Oct 15, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:24 PM
Registered User
Namibia, Khomas, Windhoek
Joined Jul 2012
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cropter View Post
Before the soldering iron even touched it, the copper cable for the control signal came off with its soldering pad. I think that could also have been the cause for the flip: ESC Nr4. suddenly got no signal while flying.
What will happen to the motor if the ESC gets no signal? My guess it will just plain stop. I will strip mine later anyway and will try to take some macro shots. Perhaps a cold solder joint? The quest continues ...
Chilli Paste is offline Find More Posts by Chilli Paste
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:59 PM
Registered User
Aaalie's Avatar
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
584 Posts
I rather think the cables come loose because of vibes.
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:15 PM
Registered User
flytahiti's Avatar
Polynésie française, Îles du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cropter View Post
Hi all,

after a long brake waiting for spare parts today I worked on the flipped S800 again.
I got a replacement IMU since this was supposed to be the cause of the flip, BUT:

I was just desoldering ESC Nr.4 because the arm was broken. Before the soldering iron even touched it, the copper cable for the control signal came off with its soldering pad. You can see it in the second photo, it is the cable in the middle. I think that could also have been the cause for the flip: ESC Nr4. suddenly got no signal while flying.

I think the small soldering pads in combination with the strong and stiff copper wires could be a weak point on all the ESCs, what do you think ?
Maybe everyone whos S800 flipped should check all the ESC cables..
i note on your photo that there is sheathing on copper wires. mine have only varnish. is it V2 arm .

i wonder if signal loss will make motor to go full throttle .
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:29 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
102 Posts
¡¡ We need a solution from DJI !! .. right now this is a DANGEROUS machine , imagine it falling uncontrolled over someone or even yourself with those sharp props spinning at thousands rpm ...
...DJI you will get in trouble....
toberal is offline Find More Posts by toberal
Last edited by toberal; Oct 15, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:44 PM
Registered User
flytahiti's Avatar
Polynésie française, Îles du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
519 Posts
agree, we take a great risk flying this machine. i've got about 30 flight with it but i m a bit scary seeing so many crashes. so i use it as less as i can.
but it's really a fantastic machine. Please DJI find the solution!!!
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:17 PM
AEM
AEMontoya's Avatar
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,039 Posts
Yup, mine's just sitting in its case. I really want a z15, but I have nothing else to fly it with; so, no z15 unless and until DJI, or whoever, finds a fix to the unreliable s800.
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:38 PM
Posting, but should be working
furyphoto's Avatar
Brackendale, BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
251 Posts
Have you guys been cross referencing with the WKM thread? It seems that there are way more FODs with the S800 than with other platforms running the WKM. That would make me think that is is something proprietary to the S800 (like the ESC's) that is causing the problem, as opposed to the flight controller, or the firmware.

It's tough to call since people not using the S800 are running such a variety of motors, esc's etc. There would certainly be some component caused issues. But with the S800 everyone has the same gear, so there is likely something in common that the other platforms do not have. (arms, connectors, esc's motors) that is causing the problems.

A hardware component issue would explain why some S800 have FOD, and other fly fine. (until a physical part fails) Personally, I think that hard mounting esc's to the end of the arms (most likely to vibrate) is asking for a solder connection failure.

Just food for thought.
furyphoto is offline Find More Posts by furyphoto
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:09 PM
Registered User
Namibia, Khomas, Windhoek
Joined Jul 2012
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytahiti View Post
agree, we take a great risk flying this machine. i've got about 30 flight with it but i m a bit scary seeing so many crashes. so i use it as less as i can.
but it's really a fantastic machine. Please DJI find the solution!!!
If only there was a common denominator to all reported crashes. You have 30 flights and no problem. I had (guessing about) 19 flights with teething problems (vibrations etc) then on the +/-20th flight BAM!

I'm sure that DJI will get to the bottom of this (hint hint DJI... give us poor victims machines with dataloggers to beta test ) I'm already contemplating getting another machine as backup/spares. I really like the S800 and its design. Once we/they iron out this "minor " glitch it will be one of the best platforms for AV.

I've been looking all day and starring at the set-up and components...One thing that tickles me is the USB port..... how susceptible is it to interference? The reason I'm questioning it is because as I said earlier that every now and then there was a twitch in the motors while connected to the assistant. Could a USB cable pick up strange noise and confuse/re-boot the FC? Just a thought as I see on Stjernefoto's pic he had the USB cable (looks like) "permanently?" connected.
Your thoughts?
Anyway... the quest continues...
Chilli Paste is offline Find More Posts by Chilli Paste
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:54 PM
Registered User
Griffo's Avatar
Australia
Joined Oct 2003
899 Posts
I bit the bullet and purchased the S800/WKM/Zenmuse early last week. Eager to get things moving I decided to venture into the forums to get some info on construction only to find this string of FOD crashes.

My heart goes out to those who have had their copters crash in such a violent and random manner. What a terrbile feeling, especially given that there is no known cause or solution. The one positive I find is that nobody has been hurt... yet.

So until we get some feedback from DJI the S800/WKM has effectively become an expensive brick. The risk of having the FOD bringing not only the S800, but more so the expensive Zenmuse and camera equipment plummeting to earth, and god forbid someone's head, is just too much.

So what to do? Wait for DJI to acknowledge and (maybe) identify the cause/solution or cut losses and look at getting my money back. I can't be the only one thinking along these lines.
Griffo is offline Find More Posts by Griffo
Last edited by Griffo; Oct 15, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:57 PM
Registered User
rruiz's Avatar
Joined Oct 2012
405 Posts
Google Docs, etc

Is there a Google Doc, SkyDrive, a place, etc file where we can put our name in order to give dji real numbers of the people with problems?

On the columns we could put all the actions that have been done like: M1... M6 values, Props used, arms reinforced, soldering issues, pins, temperatures, aprox how many flights, etc ... so we could do some stats

A tab with names of guys with crashes
A tab with names of guys without crashes
( in bouth tabs the same actions we have taken )

Well it is an idea to give dji some stats...
Ed : you did this file to share Nex5 settings " Nex5N settings for Z15.docx " ... what you think aboyt this new file ??? Or there is a file I don´t know if exists ?

I don´t know... but I am as afraid as all of you hurting someone with the S800 (and a lot of $ to the trash)

Regards

Roberto
rruiz is offline Find More Posts by rruiz
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:01 PM
Registered User
jetbootz's Avatar
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
Mines grounded again until this is sorted. Can't afford a crash...
jetbootz is offline Find More Posts by jetbootz
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:28 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,225 Posts
I sent mine back to Robert over at UAVProducts.
He went through the whole setup, relocated all the electronics and did a complete setup with my radio.

He said is flying very stable he even sent me a video from his Iphone.

It looks very stable even in the wind, BUT once I get it back it will sit in the box till a solution has been found.
I can't risk a crash to take over.


Cheers

PS in the mean time I'll fly my F550 and my MK Octo.
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:31 PM
Registered User
flytahiti's Avatar
Polynésie française, Îles du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyphoto View Post
Have you guys been cross referencing with the WKM thread? It seems that there are way more FODs with the S800 than with other platforms running the WKM. That would make me think that is is something proprietary to the S800 (like the ESC's) that is causing the problem, as opposed to the flight controller, or the firmware.

It's tough to call since people not using the S800 are running such a variety of motors, esc's etc. There would certainly be some component caused issues. But with the S800 everyone has the same gear, so there is likely something in common that the other platforms do not have. (arms, connectors, esc's motors) that is causing the problems.

A hardware component issue would explain why some S800 have FOD, and other fly fine. (until a physical part fails) Personally, I think that hard mounting esc's to the end of the arms (most likely to vibrate) is asking for a solder connection failure.

Just food for thought.
it makes sense for me that the most probable cause of FOD is a solder failure on ESC because the end of arm is the place of strongest vibration. Moreover, it seems that all the FOD i have seen happened on hovering when there is more vibrations than in forward fly
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion My DJI Spreading Wings S800 just came in the mail and I think I'm in trouble jasper7821 Multirotor Talk 219 Oct 16, 2012 06:11 PM
New Product DJI Spreading Wings S-800 Hexa multi-rotor sidneyw Multirotor Talk 930 Jun 22, 2012 11:14 AM
Discussion DJI Spread Wings S800 and Zenmuse Z15 prices are out! tpnitro Multirotor Talk 120 Jun 19, 2012 02:27 AM
Discussion DJI S800 Spreading Wings has landed at Quadcopters UK Headquarters QuadcoptersUk Multirotor Talk 8 May 14, 2012 02:27 PM
Discussion Dji Spreading Wings (S800) coming Huluhulu Multirotor Talk 7 Apr 27, 2012 04:11 AM