Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:57 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
511 Posts
@ WiseDuck, I agree with you. Some vibes must not cause such a flip.
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:57 AM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
905 Posts
I have been flying my S800 and Z15 today after trying to make sure the frame is balanced correctly. I have been following this thread closely and am worried about the white flashes I am getting, I have been flying gently and whenever I do superpositional moves ( like yaw / climb / forward same time ) I get lots of white flashes. they stay until I hover again for maybe 10 seconds. I am worried about these crashes. Things seem to be only really happening on the S800.

no " normal " Hex's Octos etc using WKM seem to be FOD 'ing.
No NAZA's seem to be FOD'ing
But we seem to be getting average one per week where someone has spent 5 - 6 K USD maybe 8 - 9 K with Zeiss lens etc.. This is worrying as an owner who has not had a FOD. Do I ground my S800 again ( last time was for 4 weeks after the FOD's started )

Do I remove my Z15 and fly with a weight and video all flights incase something happens? I don't want to do this as I love the S800 and z15 it shoots such incredible video. I am having so much fun making shots that I didnt think were possible with less than 500.000 USD full size Heli's !

But I am so worried now. I just upgraded to 5.14 ( last time I tried 5.14a a month ago my s800 shut an engine down at 4m altitude and I had an hard landing ( only one prop broken ) since then I have been a solid 5.12 fan. seemed to work great on 5.12.

I am starting to think I need to do so many mods to the S800 frame to make it reliable here are my idea's :

1. Denny's prop adaptors and some decent props
2. bypass the "clever " wiring internally and instead rewire the whole thing traditionally using external wires.
3. ditch the DJI ESC's and instead use 40amp blue HK series .
4. re-enforce arms. ( my order of Carbon fiber and epxoy is already on the way )

Basically I plan to turn my S800 into a traditional HEX. I just cant see any reason not to. They seem not nearly reliable enough at present to do anything else..
jetbootz is online now Find More Posts by jetbootz
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsimao222 View Post
In the photo of your Center Plate I see one thing that could be the cause of your S800 Crash.

If you look closer you see that PMU cable have a litlle pinch. This pinch is caused by the spacers of the plates.
Sorry to see this. That carbon will short out anything that has bared wires.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV.Pilot View Post
After seeing Chillies Video I am now having second thoughts of flying mine over people...

Here is a 1 minute shot up high and over water....uh over all kinds of stuff..

flight was LOS...yes it was a pin dot...

watch 720HD

note: is the MOTOR noise Normal? kind of a squeal sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exmO8P6qSSs
Nice footage, I haven't seen London Bridge from the air for a few years. It has certainly changed a lot. That noise sounds to me like the normal Carbon prop. noise. Is that a Gopro. Very wide angle...
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:24 AM
Namibia, Khomas, Windhoek
Joined Jul 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsimao222 View Post
In the photo of your Center Plate I see one thing that could be the cause of your S800 Crash.

If you look closer you see that PMU cable have a litlle pinch. This pinch is caused by the spacers of the plates.
I have inspected it 3 month ago and it is nothing serious. just the outside insulation and not even through. And I have been flying in worse conditions before with lots of vibrations.
Chilli Paste is offline Find More Posts by Chilli Paste
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:28 AM
Namibia, Khomas, Windhoek
Joined Jul 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjernefoto View Post
Sorry guys but our s800 has just been crashed into the ground after about 20 flights, i was in gps mode when it crashed from about 10 meters, it suddenly flipped around in 2 or 3 loops and then hit the ground, we have been fliging with a weight under neath the model, to simulate the weight of the zenmuse an camera, this is a version 2 machine, and only few vibs from the propellers..... bad. bad. bad

Yes of course, we are flying on the lattest version 5,14 and have the same settings as Denny Roland
It just seems that it flipped into 2 and 3 times in loops foreward, not to the side as all the others, but in nick direction
The S800 weight was 6,6 kg when it crashed, with the extra weight under
Oh Nooooooo not Another one!!!!! Now it gets really interesting. So sorry to hear about your crash. I know how you feel. We need a solution fast to this phenomenon.
Chilli Paste is offline Find More Posts by Chilli Paste
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Paste View Post
Oh Nooooooo not Another one!!!!! Now it gets really interesting. So sorry to hear about your crash. I know how you feel. We need a solution fast to this phenomenon.
Absolutely.... we and Dji needs to find whats happend when these machines falls down
Stjernefoto is offline Find More Posts by Stjernefoto
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyrowland@mac View Post
Nice footage, I haven't seen London Bridge from the air for a few years. It has certainly changed a lot. That noise sounds to me like the normal Carbon prop. noise. Is that a Gopro. Very wide angle...
Thanks man, yes it was shot with gopro2 with 720 w/120 FOV.

Chillie looking at your mangled mess now makes me sick! And yes flying that far and high with mine when just 3 weeks ago it flipped is scary, and this is the main reason nothing More than a GOPRO is flown...which my little 450's fly great...the S800 is Overkill for a GP cam...

Im trying to get 50 flights in all conditions carrying the gopro before i risk a more expensive gimbal/camera..

For sure if mine goes in at this kind of altitude, I know I wont be rebuilding...
UAV.Pilot is offline Find More Posts by UAV.Pilot
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:28 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Sorry guys but our s800 has just been crashed into the ground after about 20 flights, i was in gps mode when it crashed from about 10 meters, it suddenly flipped around in 2 or 3 loops and then hit the ground, we have been fliging with a weight under neath the model, to simulate the weight of the zenmuse an camera, this is a version 2 machine, and only few vibs from the propellers..... bad. bad. bad

Yes of course, we are flying on the lattest version 5,14 and have the same settings as Denny Roland
It just seems that it flipped into 2 and 3 times in loops foreward, not to the side as all the others, but in nick direction
The S800 weight was 6,6 kg when it crashed, with the extra weight under
Lars,

Check your email. Being one of our customers we are actively getting you taken care of because of this crash.

I hate seeing this.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
Lars,

Check your email. Being one of our customers we are actively getting you taken care of because of this crash.

I hate seeing this.
Thanks Robert, must we send it all, i meen the S800 and the Wkm ?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Robert, must we send it all, i meen the S800 and the Wkm ?
Yes, per the email sent.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:43 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
511 Posts
@ Robert, did you build this machine?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaalie View Post
@ Robert, did you build this machine?
I don't think we built this.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
I don't think we built this.
Nope we build it
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:10 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
511 Posts
Quote:
Nope we build it
Could you remember if the GPS/magneto came loose during the crash, or maybe before? The mounting is still intact.