Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:14 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
963 Posts
It's interesting how DJI will say that non-DJI adhesive tape was the cause of one of the crashes. I understand that no one wants to have a reason for DJI to proclaim user error; so, it's best to use their tape. It seems a little strange, however, that DJI would say the above in light of what they have said below:

"Thanks for your effort on the potential improvement of S800. I repeat my point again: the vibration will NOT result in so called FOD. We have sold innumerable S800, limited white blinking issues comparing with the sales volume. And another reference for you, we have similar solution for heli, named WKH, if the S800 vibration causes IMU crazy, how could heli system keep stable!? If you have interest, you could measure the vibration level of heli with your App.

Paul Guo"
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI Phantom on 4s with WKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:53 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
I know I know I sound like a broken record. However, the crash % of S800's is very low.

I do think one aspect that is over looked is the power dist. board. Something keeps telling me that "could" be an issue. I have had M6 spool up on me doing firmware upgrades on the bench (not full throttle). I have never had that on any other frame doing firmware upgrades. Also, 98% of the S800's never do it either.

Just throwing it out there for discussion.

I'm going to go and beat on our S800 some more today. I can't break it no matter how hard I try.
How about mine, how are you making out with this one, anu progress?

Bill
bcollydas is online now Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:16 PM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
So when are you going into production and opening your web shop?
It's a lot of work, but if there are people interested, I can make a few sets.
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:54 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaalie View Post
It's a lot of work, but if there are people interested, I can make a few sets.
How about a core swap out system. Purchase the modified arms from you for full price, then you give us a refund of the cores when you receive them. This way we aren't down from flying.

Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
How about mine, how are you making out with this one, anu progress?

Bill
I'll contact you Monday afternoon.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Oct 2012
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
Dealers, and customers who sent email to S800@dji-innovations.com are being notified of our findings. I believe we identified the source of the problem. This is the reason behind some S-800 owners don't have any issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfu-R58ERo
I am in the building process. I review the Wooking and all the readings of F1 ... M6 have the same value, 44.7 ? Is it correct?

Regards
rruiz is offline Find More Posts by rruiz
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
449 Posts
For the DJI tape, I am not saying DJI is wrong I still believe you have to use their tape as recommended on the manual. I have found out that using soft or thicker pad/tape would really affect the flight characteristic. Those soft tape that you would normally use on heli gyro. Like most guys said the WKM IMU wants to be hard mounted. I think TC or another guy opened this IMU and they have their own dampening inside. Having said that I am using a 3M Heavy duty tape, even on my S800 (but its only few flight old so nothing definite) but I have used the same on the x650 and ADX8 so far no issue. The only time I got white flashes was when I upgraded to 5.12 and 5.14 (lesser on 5.4). On software 4.0 I only had white flashes when I used a different tape.

Now going back to FOD, it is not just DJI that got plagued with this issue but due to the volume of guys who bought them it becomes more infamous. Last time when I first get to know FOD was on Arducopter, most guys get them cause they are slowly taking off and someone the MC is getting confused. I got a multi that flight for a long time suddenly after upgrade and 3 flights later it FOD mid air

2_0_50.mp4 (0 min 16 sec)

No one can conclude on the debug not even weird gyro reading on graph. Going back to S800 Denny I think has the closes theory, the IMU/MC is getting confused somehow. now if it was due to vibration thats another thing. But of course we can rule out esc/motor/PDB the problem is it can be recreated on the fly.

So I guess we just fly and I see. I plan to fly my s800 with added weight for sometime before I put the z15. I am also still waiting for Denny's prop adapter. crossing fingers
TruckBasher is offline Find More Posts by TruckBasher
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:27 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruiz View Post
I am in the building process. I review the Wooking and all the readings of F1 ... M6 have the same value, 44.7 ? Is it correct?

Regards
Yes, as long as all of the resistance readings are the same (in your case, 44.7) the WKM is the newer version.
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI Phantom on 4s with WKM
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Oct 2012
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
Yes, as long as all of the resistance readings are the same (in your case, 44.7) the WKM is the newer version.
Thanks AEM ...
rruiz is offline Find More Posts by rruiz
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:36 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Well guys a lot of feedback from around the world since using the adapters and nobody has yet to report a FOD. so I guess we are on the right track.
Got loads of alum. 6 to 8mm inserts BTW.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:54 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,041 Posts
Good to hear Denny. What is the consensus then, APC 14x4.7 or Gruapner 14x8?
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:00 AM
Joined Oct 2011
449 Posts
I too and interested to see more on this results. I have adapters coming in and I will try graupners on them but would be nice to get the comparison with APC or xoars
TruckBasher is offline Find More Posts by TruckBasher
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:52 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Denny, you are huge help to the S800 and its customers. I personally appreciate everything you have done. Yes, I'll do the best I can to help you on your next purchase.
Can't wait for the adapters so I can try many different props also. 14" graupners will be here today it looks like.

Waiting for the custom drilled Xoars to arrive in a week or so.

Here is a sneak peak.
Thanks AEM for the help.

Okay, I have to get to work and get orders out. Monday's are busy.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
slightly off current subjects, but could anyone advise on a suitable solution for mounting an AV130 to an S800.

my purchasing power is limiting me to just the S800 initially and then a zenmuse at a later date, so i plan to use the AV130 i already have as a stop gapů
plingboot is offline Find More Posts by plingboot
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
Denny, you are huge help to the S800 and its customers. I personally appreciate everything you have done. Yes, I'll do the best I can to help you on your next purchase.
Can't wait for the adapters so I can try many different props also. 14" graupners will be here today it looks like.

Waiting for the custom drilled Xoars to arrive in a week or so.

Here is a sneak peak.
Thanks AEM for the help.

Okay, I have to get to work and get orders out. Monday's are busy.
Thanks Robert
I have only run the Graupners and the APC and I liked them both. Others are saying that the Xoars are even better. Just be careful not to use too much pitch angle at the tips. 14" dia will probably be the best for stability in strong winds.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac