HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:49 AM
Polynésie française, Îles du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
491 Posts
could you be more precise . you mean we can remove black and red cables and only keep the signal.
so what are the 4 wire in the arms . Power +, power - ,signal and ?
flytahiti is online now Find More Posts by flytahiti
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:59 AM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,381 Posts
and -
(-,s,+.-)

As I already wrote, please do only change something if you are sure about what you do, if not, stay with the manual.

I am only talking about the cables from the WKM to the centerplate-connector.

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:32 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
496 Posts
Ferdinand, is it a picture of your S800? Do you still use a S800? Because the Zen you've mounted under another platform.
Have you flown the S800 this way?
Aaalie is online now Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
I have also done it this way. To avoid multiple grounds.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,381 Posts
All of my copters are build in this way (only with the signal to the WKM) so yes I have flown the S800 from the very first day in this was (as all of my other copter). All the videos below are made with only the ESC signal connected to the WKM, I did not change this as I build like this from the very first day.
DJI Zenmuse Z15 first test (6 min 16 sec)

DJI S800 test-flight (5 min 8 sec)

DJI S800+Z15 Motors and ESCs Temperature Test (6 min 10 sec)

Z15 video-blog: out in the fields (3 min 46 sec)

S800 Payload-Test (2 min 55 sec)

S800 with pneumatic retracts (5 min 18 sec)

best regards

Ferdinand
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:26 AM
Joined Oct 2011
441 Posts
Interesting retracts....

Interested in trying this signal only connection to wkm...tho I havent done it in the past...
TruckBasher is offline Find More Posts by TruckBasher
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:35 AM
AMA 905510
United States, NY, New York
Joined Aug 2009
150 Posts
Ferdinand is right. Only do this if you know what your doing! If not, stick to the manual!

Ferdinand! Check with a multimeter the ground if you have a closed circuit. I have check that the point where the ground in closing the circuit is in the arm at the connector pin. Why did DJI have two ground cable separated running in the arm to the esc when they are as one? Seems to me that if the esc has any noise or interference it could let it pass through the ground and towards the MC and the PMU would eliminate the noise before going to the electronics
Polishchris is offline Find More Posts by Polishchris
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Polishchris; Oct 05, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:38 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfDays View Post
and -
(-,s,+.-)

As I already wrote, please do only change something if you are sure about what you do, if not, stay with the manual.

I am only talking about the cables from the WKM to the centerplate-connector.

best regards

Ferdinand
Actually its a strange one since the GND in the arms is connected to each other if you do a continuity test. It would be like doing a traditional build were your ESC signal GND is connected to the Main power ESC GND and than split of again to the ESC.

Boris

Boris
BorisSA is offline Find More Posts by BorisSA
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:53 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,381 Posts
I have no idea why this is done in that way, you have to ask this DJI.

But since I am doing what I would call "long range fpv" I cannot afford even the possibility of such noise-emitters, and as I am too lazy to search for those, I try to eliminate all possible ground loops from the very beginning, and yes, I have learned this the hard way.

best regards

Ferdinand
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:13 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,055 Posts
Just be aware that if you use OPTO ESC's with proper power and signal isolation, you must run signal and black (GND) wire from all ESC's to the autopilot.
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Last edited by jab; Oct 05, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,381 Posts
@jab

This is easy to check, it simply is not working when it is a "real" opto, there are very few "real optos" on the market.

best regards
Ferdinand
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:02 AM
AMA 905510
Joined Aug 2009
150 Posts
Ferdinard, do you get alot of white flashes with your s800 or any when you have the ground loop eliminated? How often and when do you have the white flashes? Have you ever added any gel between the gyro and center plate for mounting?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,381 Posts
@Polishchris
I do not care about white flashes. Most of my WKM IMUs are mounted with thin double sided tape ,some are glued with Pattex. On the S800 I added a line of glue on the top plate, to fill up the small gap there.

best regards

Ferdinand
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:29 AM
AMA 905510
Joined Aug 2009
150 Posts
@Ferdinand
I would totally agree with you and not care about the white flashes! But when I am flying and have 2 and 3 white flashes while carrying my z15 (total take off weight at 6kg) my s800 is falling out of the sky at full throttle after a maneuver! Almost as if my s800 blades are in a stall and somehow recover within a few feet from hitting the ground
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
Some good posts guys...very interesting indeed

Ferdinand sweet landing gear mod! I have the same thing in mind, would you share pics and possibly a build list of parts?

I got a lot of white flashed right before mine flipped as seen on my vid, now that I have been in communications with DJI directly they are certain that in my case I did not use their supplied double sided sticky tape with the installation of the IMU, causing vibrations and making the IMU erratic.

Im not buying it completely because its the same tape we have used in all of our other builds for tens of years 3m adhesive foam core 1mm tape, very stout...now this WKM is susceptible to vibrations unlike other similar systems...just dont sound right to me. but possibly so? I did not notice any vibrations in my flights. in fact i think i even made a comment how smooth it actually flew.

DJI has stated that the IMU must be installed using their double sided sticky tape provided in the Kit, and in no way should any substitute be used. including Gel ext...

Having said that, DJI did take care of me and spent a good amount of time with my ship, and dialed it in! It's on its way back ready to work, and for this I am Thankful! They did back up their product better than other companies I have seen. For me Customer Service is #1 on my list, over performance, in any product I buy if I cant get good service if and when i need it, then its worthless!

I ordered Props from Robert the other day and I gotta say he also took very good care of me! His customer support is right on par

All of this adds up to Great Customer Service from DJI, and this alone is what I look for when I invest my hard earned money in any company. Had I been treated differently it would have been my Last DJI purchase and many other's that are peering onto me and my flying machines.

We are a UAV University now established in conjunction with ASU and plan to have a fleet of UAV systems, this S800 was purchased to do the safety trials for the school. It has yet to fly in front of anyone and this delay almost made us go to another well known platform.

Once I get this S800 back I will report what I received and how it flies, looking forward to it! With any luck this thing will be right and we will be using it for our flight school.
Unmanned University
UAV.Pilot is offline Find More Posts by UAV.Pilot