HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:22 PM
zzr
DEAF-POWER
United States, CA, Los Gatos
Joined Feb 2006
293 Posts
+1 Just wondering does Camera's SD memory recorded working?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
That vid's been posted already. Great example of the s800's flipping at its best.
zzr is offline Find More Posts by zzr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:53 AM
France, Pyrénées Orientales
Joined Feb 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Easy to find if a video has been posted already, just take the id for example your video QZ1MdK41UhQ and put it into RCG search.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=881
Hi

sorry for the duplicate

jdm66
jdm66 is offline Find More Posts by jdm66
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Aug 2011
190 Posts
I wrapped arm into the carbon fiber with epoxy. It has no flex, very strong.
I forgot to weight arm before. Anyone knows how much is arm without esc and motor?
miza is offline Find More Posts by miza
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined May 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miza View Post
I wrapped arm into the carbon fiber with epoxy. It has no flex, very strong.
I forgot to weight arm before. Anyone knows how much is arm without esc and motor?
I've just checked one arm that survived the FOD that I experienced last week - it is 304 gr fully assembled - ESC+Motor+stock prop. How much your modified arm weights? How did you apply the fibreglass? Can you post some pics?

Thank you!
a1ik is offline Find More Posts by a1ik
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyrowland@mac View Post
Guys I want to say that I have been flying with 5.14 with no problems at all. My experiment was to see if the MC was capable of creating the scenario of FOD by giving it some confusing commands and That it did. I saw full power on some motors even with the throttle shut.
It is really nothing to worry about unless you are planning to fly like that. I just wanted to prove that the MC alone can create the FOD.

My personal findings would indicate that the FOD was limited to the 5.12 version.
My second flip was with 5.14a.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1253
azure is offline Find More Posts by azure
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Aug 2011
190 Posts
I found this info: Weight: 0.130 kg
my weight is 146g, but it is arm from RC timer, it is not original DJI.

I have to sand it first a little bit, because it just doesn't look good. It was my first carbon operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1ik View Post
I've just checked one arm that survived the FOD that I experienced last week - it is 304 gr fully assembled - ESC+Motor+stock prop. How much your modified arm weights? How did you apply the fibreglass? Can you post some pics?

Thank you!
Last edited by miza; Oct 04, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:59 PM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
482 Posts
Also started lamination. But first I've added an other wire for the ESC signal, and paralleled the two separate wires, just like the other two wires. This way it's not a problem if the insulation from the thick (high current) and thin (signal) wire wears down. The new Signal wire is flexibel.
Now there are two pair wires for the higher currents.

Aaalie is online now Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Aug 2011
190 Posts
Where did you get this material for wrapping?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:54 PM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytahiti View Post
very good idea . and look nice !
where did you find the carbon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaalie View Post
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:49 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miza View Post
I found this info: Weight: 0.130 kg
my weight is 146g, but it is arm from RC timer, it is not original DJI.

I have to sand it first a little bit, because it just doesn't look good. It was my first carbon operation
Is the carbon fiber arm from RC Timer exactly the same as the original DJI arms you have? I almost bought a pair, but didn't want to take the risk.

Also, could you provide a picture of the work you did?

Thanks,
AEM
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI Phantom on 4s with WKM
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
375 Posts
GPS Mount

Just to share with you how I mounted my GPS.I used the 2 screws that are on the top tray. Only a little cut to the cover.
Regards
rruiz is offline Find More Posts by rruiz
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:32 AM
AMA 905510
United States, NY, New York
Joined Aug 2009
150 Posts
Hey Guys! Been following most of the posts in this thread and decided to finally be a part of this thread help. I haven't read all 120 pages of posts but i been reading from time to time most, so maybe some of the points i want to point out might already be covered...

So I had crashes of my own s800 twice (lucky without my z15 mounted), my first crash was with the av200 (gimbal survived) cause the battery died in flight and second crash cause of some glitch (no gimbal mounted). Landing gear is falling apart but it still stands my s800 even after two crashes

I am having the same problem with my WKM as everyone else with the white flashes. Haven't had FOD yet but had many flights already +30. My S800 has v2 WKM MC and v4 ESC now (replaced to the latest when notified about the recalls). So after each flight (+10min) the motors and escs are cool to the touch. But the white flashes are always constant from 2 to 3 flashes and I am having a very hard time flying in atti with +5kg total takeoff weight. I can not achieve the 16min at 6kg 10000mah like DJI has specified. From reading this thread and learned about the vibrations could be the blades. So I bought blades from cnchelicopter and they fly nice and are really stiff (unlike the flexiable stock blades). Just giving a heads up, the core is wood wrapped in carbon fiber and need to drill the screw holes larger. So far the Zeal Gel has done its magic to eliminate the white flashes. Only would have a white flash when i do hard flying or have a heavier take offweight +5kg. But I am still trying to eliminate the white flashes for good. So my next conclusion would be the big motors. Has any tested what frequency the motors give off? Maybe the motors vibration frequency might be passing the dampening in the IMU...

I have considered buying the motor adapter to try other brand props, but most of you guy seem that you prefer to stick with the stock blades, as would I because they are light weight and seem the s800 feels better on the sticks even after I only tried two different CF blades.

I haven't seen anyone try this or haven't seen in the thread, I decided to wrap the wires in choke core between the s800 and MC. Since in a rc helicopter esc you would have a choke core on the cable, why not on the s800?
Also why not remove the red power cable? The power cable is useless, there is no connection with the power cable between the esc and the MC (you can check for yourself). The arms only has 1x Main Power, 1x Signal, and the 2x Grounds are together. The power cable from the MC has no purpose and might cause interference if the voltage is noisy as the signal and ground are wrapped around the power cable. I am thinking of removing the ground between the S800 and MC to prevent a ground loop. Maybe leaving the ground between the s800 and MC might eliminate any noise in the ground coming from the battery.

I might be going over board but I have added choke core on the IMU and PMU cable as well. Maybe try eliminate as much interference in the electrics as possible...

And last but not least the Futaba SBE-1 with spektrum rx. I read online most people doing it, so I wanted to stand out that I am doing it as well and added a picture of it. I fly with spektrum DX18 and the 18-channels are useful when using the S800 with the z15. So I am using the futaba SBE-1 with my spektrum rx and so far so good it works great! I don't see in the configuration of the RX channels twitching like it did in traditional wiring. With the sbus, the channels are solid!

I'm not considering to reinforce the arms. I have done tests like hanging 6s 5000mah packs from different locations throwing the CG off and flying the s800 the fastest it can fly. So far it handles good to an extend where its controllable with the white flashes and manages to stay in the air. The arms are really easy to break if you hit the ground. Had to replace a few of the arms already....

And its always good to keep those connectors clean between the socket of the center frame and the arms. I use some connector cleaning solvent to remove any residue

Hope this helps...
Ill add more after my next flights with the choke cores and the zeal gel. Maybe will decide to change the motor mount plates with my own custom and replace the brushless motors with some other motors when I get the budget for new motors
Polishchris is offline Find More Posts by Polishchris
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:49 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
482 Posts
Good post, PolishChris!

I'm also going to remove the plus cables between MC en center plate. And probably ad one klapferriet.
It's like 6 antennes going straigt into the MC in a RF polluted environment .
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:05 AM
Polynésie française, Îles du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
487 Posts
hope you will post good feed back
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:29 AM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,350 Posts
Guys, the red cable stops at the connector, since the pins are dead there. The important cables to remove are the black lines (from the plate to the WKM), this avoids the "ground loops" (six of them). So (like you should do on every multicopter) only connect the esc´s via the signal lines. (the most easy way to do so is use only two kable to connect the WKM to the plate, and place this two kables "sidewards").

Please only try this if you know what you are doing, furthermore this is not recommended by DJI, so better position the cables as shown in the manual.

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Last edited by EndOfDays; Oct 05, 2012 at 03:40 AM.