HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:34 AM
Portugal, Faro, Loulé
Joined Jun 2012
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyrowland@mac View Post
We seem to have digressed from the fact that making the arms stiffer is not the answer to this problem. It does not cure the problem at the source. It may help slightly but the source of the vibration is coming from the props. which are a very bad design. Having now conducted quite a few tests it has emerged that the best all round prop. is the Graupner 14x8 for a number of reasons. I am sure that DJI will not be pleased to hear this but we cant all be wrong......

White flashes. never see em.
From where you bought the adaptors for this propellers. I`ll try this to see the vibrations
fsimao222 is offline Find More Posts by fsimao222
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:06 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
963 Posts
@Denny

Do you think you might try out those 15x6 Xoars (CF) by any chance? My guess is that they'd give a lot more thrust than the 14x8's due to larger diameter and less pitch. They might not allow for as high a top speed, but would still be an improvement in that department compared with the original 15x5.5, if considering diameter and pitch as the only factors. It's not like top speed for this type of platform is what most people are looking for, though; although, more thrust seems good.
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI Phantom on 4s with WKM
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:07 AM
France, Pyrénées Orientales
Joined Feb 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
I just got in contact with Xoar, and they said that they do have a CF precision pair of props for multicopters that are 15x6. They also have a wooden pair of 15x5.5's that aren't specifically for multicopters. Any ideas?
Hi

an idea of price

jdm66
jdm66 is offline Find More Posts by jdm66
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:21 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm66 View Post
Hi

an idea of price

jdm66
Not sure; I'm still waiting for a return e-mail from them. I'll post when I find out. However, here is the response I got when I mentioned to them that I'd have to adapt the props to be like the s800 ones, with a hole in the middle and two smaller holes on either side.

"Should be no worries, by learning the sizes, locations of the center hole and two smaller holes, we can pre-drill them on the carbon 15X6 for you. Kindly be noted that please do not drill any holes on our carbons, because it may destroy the prop.

Let us know your preferred center hole diameter, we will custom at your request."

Sounds pretty good, if the price is right. Probably could just use the stock prop adaptor that comes with the s800 by using some longer screws and dealing with the two lips on the top plate.
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AEMontoya; Sep 26, 2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:25 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,057 Posts
Quote:
We seem to have digressed from the fact that making the arms stiffer is not the answer to this problem. It does not cure the problem at the source. It may help slightly but the source of the vibration is coming from the props. which are a very bad design. Having now conducted quite a few tests it has emerged that the best all round prop. is the Graupner 14x8 for a number of reasons. I am sure that DJI will not be pleased to hear this but we cant all be wrong......

White flashes. never see em.
I completely agree, but the arms still need to be rigid.
Even perfect propellers will have blade warps during flight maneuvers. And the temporary vibrations from such warps should be stopped in the arms, never reaching the base plate. Soft arms will not do this, and instead make blade warps more pronounced by allowing the motor/propeller to move around.
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
I am not seeing any arm vibrations now. I don't think you should worry about the standard arms

they are working fine for me. It is the way that the DJI carbon prop' distributes it's lift that is the problem. With the Graupner 14x8 you will have better motor cooling, better stabilisation and no vibration . It is a perfect combination for the S800. you just need these adapters and that is all.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:07 AM
Polynésie française, Îles du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
493 Posts
Quote:
I am not seeing any arm vibrations now. I don't think you should worry about the standard arms

they are working fine for me. It is the way that the DJI carbon prop' distributes it's lift that is the problem. With the Graupner 14x8 you will have better motor cooling, better stabilisation and no vibration . It is a perfect combination for the S800. you just need these adapters and that is all.
and no more white flashes ?
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytahiti View Post
and no more white flashes ?
I flew yesterday two flights of around 14.5 mins. and saw no white flashes anywhere. Very low motor temps. and rock solid stab. (unlike PH.....) It was very strong wind.
Saw a red light briefly when the battery level was warning at the end.

I am sure many people will want to try other props. but I recommend this one because I know how well it works and it is a sure solution to the problem.

With regard to arm flexing, a small amount is necessary. Boeing seem to been doing this for some time now, that is how they keep the engines from falling off......
Last edited by dennyrowland@mac; Sep 26, 2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:56 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Cascais
Joined Mar 2010
327 Posts
Windows 8 and DJI USB driver

For those like me who already use Windows 8, you will find out quickly that the DJI USB driver won't work. While DJI is already aware and making changes, here is a workaround:

Bit locker must be suspended, otherwise, it will require a recovery key.

From the Metro Start Screen, open Settings (move your mouse to the bottom-right-corner of the screen and wait for the pop-out bar to appear, then click the Gear icon).
Click ‘More PC Settings’.
Click ‘General’.
Scroll down, and click ‘Restart now’ under ‘Advanced startup’.
Wait a bit.
Click ‘Troubleshoot’.
Click ‘Advanced Options’
Click ‘Windows Startup Settings’
Click Restart.
Select 7 (disable signature driver verification)
Boot the PC and install the DJI USB driver.

Once those steps are done, we can use the software assistant again.
semich is offline Find More Posts by semich
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:25 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
504 Posts
Like Dennyrowland I do believe the issues are caused by the original props. I do have good results with APC 14*4,7 a while ago, but I do not have such nice propadapters.
Nevertheless I'd like to try with reinforced arms, and want to use carbon cloth for this. Each arm will have 7 grams carbon, and approximately 4 grams resin.
This is before, waiting for the spare arms to reinforce, keep this ones original. But to give an idea:

Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:22 AM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaalie View Post
Like Dennyrowland I do believe the issues are caused by the original props. I do have good results with APC 14*4,7 a while ago, but I do not have such nice propadapters.
Nevertheless I'd like to try with reinforced arms, and want to use carbon cloth for this. Each arm will have 7 grams carbon, and approximately 4 grams resin.
This is before, waiting for the spare arms to reinforce, keep this ones original. But to give an idea:
I am very curios to see your results. At least this way the arms look nice. Better than zip tied rods in my opinion.
Iceman575 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman575
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Don't forget to check the weight as you go, epoxy resin is very heavy. I would prefer to see a top and bottom molding that is very thin and vac bagged. then the two halves could be wrapped and joined. It could also look nice and be very strong.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:44 AM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,388 Posts
"Zip-ties are what gives a MC-Pilot his power. It's an energy field created by all zip-ties. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the multicopter together. "

"do not underestimate the powers of zip-ties"

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:33 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
504 Posts
Quote:
Don't forget to check the weight as you go, epoxy resin is very heavy. I would prefer to see a top and bottom molding that is very thin and vac bagged. then the two halves could be wrapped and joined. It could also look nice and be very strong.
I'll preprag the cloth with 4 grams resin. Then put it over the (light sanded) arm, put a piece of heat shrink over it en shrink the total. During the hardening I'll rotate the arms so the resin (and carbon cloth) is forced to the heat shrink wrap by the centrifugal force. When the resin is hardened, I'll cut away the heat shrink, leaving a slightly glossy surface (7 grams cloth, 4 grams resin and the surface of the heat shrink).

Thats the idea, hoping it will work like that (otherwise I'll have another failure project ).

@ Ferdinand:
Carbon cloth, we use. I feel, great result... we have.

May the Zen be with you.
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Last edited by Aaalie; Sep 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:39 AM
Portugal, Faro, Loulé
Joined Jun 2012
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaalie View Post
I have already thought this solution, but for first test it is too expensive.
fsimao222 is offline Find More Posts by fsimao222
Last edited by fsimao222; Sep 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM.