HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined May 2009
595 Posts
Colonel, it would mean rebuilding the fuse entirely. That would be the worst of it. I've been pondering the possibility for a week now and I'm just not sure. If I do, this time it will sport an OS .20 up front.
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:38 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,961 Posts
That was one of the smartest colour schemes I've ever seen.....
I've saved the photos for future reference.....

HOW SAD...!!!:

Hmm, to me, even an OS 20 feels a bit much....speaking 2-strokes, a .10 would be more suitable for a Deacon...
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:06 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
Hi David, sorry to hear the bad news, your Deacon looked really neat. I hope you do rebuild & get it flying successfully.
It does sound like it was overpowered & I think an OS20 would be even more so. My Deacon is only about 3.5oz lighter than yours & is moderately overpowered with a motor that weighs 2oz with a 3s 1300 lipo driving an 8x4 at 118Watts max . I think the E-flite 10 motor you used is 4.3oz so depending on what size prop used will be way over this power level.
If you do go for an ic a 1 - 1.5cc old type diesel or glow engine should be about right. A modern .10 glow engine with a relatively large dia & low pitch prop - say 9x4 - running at part throttle should make a reasonable compromise.
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:17 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,783 Posts
David, I agree entirely with the above sentiments re power level - it was designed to fly with a 1.5 cc diesel. Your electric set up was certainly more than the model needed, but that is no excuse for the pilot pulling the wings off, he had the throttle under his thumb and the model would have flown beautifully with proper control of the power output. I have a 140 watt motor in my 16 ounce Tom Tit bipe, the same in my 15 ounce Mars and 250 watts in the 24 ounce Mamba. It doesn't mean to say you have to use all that power. When it comes to I.C. motors though, I think it is better to have the optimum size and a .20 is definitely too much fr the Deacon.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined May 2009
595 Posts
OK guys, I hear you. I have 2 OS .10s One is stock, the other is a diesel conversion. Is there one of the two that has an advantage over the other for this plane in particular? The diesel maybe?
BTW, I've begun an attempt to put Humpty-Dumpty back together again. We'll see how it goes.
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Last edited by cd_webb; Sep 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:47 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,783 Posts
I guess either of the OS .10's would be OK. But I have to ask; what in particular has put you off electric power for this model? As an "electric only" flier these days I know that electric can provide the ideal power source for any type of model, and it is particularly suited to vintage models.

Looking back through the thread, I see you mention "wing flutter". I wonder if you have fallen victim to a problem with vintage models which some people do not appreciate. Vintage air frames were designed to be covered in tissue (or silk) and dope; these coverings, properly applied, provide excellent TORSIONAL STIFFNESS. Very often these days the same structures are covered in heat shrink films which do not produce such stiff structures. This is the reason why I use tissue over mylar or tissue over doculam. To use film covering, many vintage models require some structural stiffening in the flying surfaces, especially as, with radio, we tend to make them fly outside their normal free-flight speed envelopes. Clearly your model was being flown too fast, but it should not have fluttered even so. I can force any of my very light vintage models to fly really fast without suffering any flutter or flexing of the flying surfaces.

I know of one example which shows the importance of the covering on some structures. Back in my thermal soaring contest days a UK modeller developed a "new" type of wing structure comprising hot wire cut blue foam sections with spar, leading and trailing edge covered in varnished wrapping paper. His 100 inch "standard class" model was very good and was kitted and built in hundreds. Unfortunately many of the builders failed to appreciate the importance of the varnished wrapping paper covering in providing torsional stiffness and simply covered the wings in Solarfilm or other heat shrink film. When pushed to fly quickly flutter followed by spectacular wing failure occurred, and until the importance of the covering was realised the air was full of shredded blue foam for a while!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:54 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Argghh. So sorry to read of the Deacon's fate David. It was a great looking model too. I do hope that you are able to repair / rebuild and enjoy more success next time.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59