HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined May 2009
600 Posts
Thank you, SD and Sparks, for the nice comments. The flying (or trying) isn't far off now. Work and other unavoidable obligations will hinder me from putting it up this coming weekend. I can "smell" the end of it, and it drives me nuts to have to leave it undone when it's this close, but "them's the breaks" I guess. Maybe a little piddling time here and there, if I'm lucky.

The rest of the pack is mounting stiff competition. There are some really appealing and nicely done projects going on right now. My inexperience with Brit-kits and new-comer status to this forum keeps me from posting much (thereby showing my ignorance), but pats on the back are due all around! Some very nice work going on here. Keep it up, boys!
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:52 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,901 Posts
You have been a great addition to this build off David and I have thoroughly enjoyed following your build, thanks a lot for taking part. Waiting with bated breath now for the maiden flight and wishing you the best of luck with it - though I'm sure it will be fine.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined May 2009
600 Posts
The End!

Except for the flying part, it's all done. Controls are checked out, CG is possibly a bit nose heavy, battery is secured... I think I've covered it all. Maiden will probably be in 3 or 4 weeks (along with the Terror), as I don't deal very well with temps from 99 to 102, that doesn't include heat indexes of +5 to 6 degrees. Old and soft, I guess. Didn't used to bother me that bad.

I have developed a yearning to do something smaller and less complicated. Free flight is sounding very appealing right now. Bouncing back and forth between a couple or three. I'll get it figured out pretty quickly and be off again on the next one.

The finished photos...
Last edited by cd_webb; Sep 04, 2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:01 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Superb!
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:44 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,901 Posts
Cracking job David, you have really done Phil Smith's classic full justice. Will be waiting eagerly for news of the first flights, but I am confident it will fly like a bird. Thnaks for an enjoyable build thread too.

Something simple and free-flight eh? Is it going to be another Britkit???
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:50 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,687 Posts
That is simply exceptional!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:12 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Very Nice! love those Trexlers.
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:38 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom View Post
Very Nice! love those Trexlers.
Yes me too! I love this little plane. Cute as a button, smart as you like. And I like the colour scheme and finish too.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Last edited by sparks59; Aug 06, 2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typo!
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined May 2009
600 Posts
Thank you kindly, gentlemen! I've certainly had a lot of fun doing it. I forgot to mention in my last post the finished weight. Wound up at 30.3 oz - and that's including a 3s 2200 lipo. Looks like a 480 would have carried it just fine, but there's plenty of punkin' up front now in power and weight.

I've long had the plans printed up for the Frog Moth Minor, just never did hit me right to start it. I sat down last night and in an hour had all the parts cut out. Most of the time, once that's done, I'm committed.

And so I am... It'll be the Moth Minor, so yes, SD, another BritKit.

David
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:02 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,901 Posts
Good-o David, I'll enter it and look forward to the build log!! Should be a nice relaxing build.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:22 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,901 Posts
Hi David. Just bumping your thread up and wondering if you are any closer to the Deacon's maiden flight yet?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined May 2009
600 Posts
OK, I've delayed the sad truth for longer than I should have. For anyone who was, or is interested, the Deacon is no more.

For reasons which included nerves, a marginally windy day and knows what else, I chose to let the club "expert" do the maiden. A 5 second run downwind (with lots of wing flutter), and a 3 second run upwind was all it took to literally fly the wings off of it. Half throttle should have been the max this plane ever saw. The larger motor (for weight up front) was just too much. I suppose that a warning to the test pilot would have been wise thing, but you would think an experienced pilot would have seen the frail nature of the model.

Oh well, obviously no video or pictures, as the 8 seconds of flight were of the "white knuckle" variety! Ultimately, the demise of the Deacon can only be my fault, and good, bad, right or wrong, the deed is done.

I really appreciate all of the encouragement and help offered in this thread (you know who you are). Absolutely great bunch of guys here! Qualifications for the contest were not met, so, "Out I go!"
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:12 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,901 Posts
Oh heck, that's really sad. You obviously chose the wrong test pilot, he must clearly have been one of the type who thinks that throttles only have one position, wide open! And he obviously had zero appreciation of the fact that this was a vintage FREE FLIGHT design which should have been flown as such, not batted around the sky like a pattern or 3D model - even so, he must have been b****y hamfisted to pull the wings off. Even in my very early days of radio flying I NEVER had anyone else test fly my models, I reckoned that I had built them and if anyone was going to crash 'em it was going to be me!

However - just a little bit of good news to offset against the tragedy, as with last year's FROG build off, I specified that the model had to be finished, but not necessarily flown to qualify for the final poll, so your late and very lamented Deacon will be in.

Hope this won't put you off the idea of build offs, or of vintage models, and I hope you are going to finish your Moth Minor.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined May 2009
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
I reckoned that I had built them and if anyone was going to crash 'em it was going to be me!

Not a bad way of looking at it. In hindsight, I could hardly have done worse. It does make me feel better that I at least did comply with the rules of the contest and have one legitimate entry.
Last edited by cd_webb; Sep 15, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,687 Posts
I take it that it's not repairable????
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink