HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:08 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,689 Posts
He's bent the starboard one forward to match it........
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:32 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
The first landing will change that!
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:48 AM
Joined May 2009
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
He's bent the starboard one forward to match it........
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom View Post
The first landing will change that!
Wow! Tough crowd! Actually, no, I didn't bend the starboard one forward, but that was Sparks' fault. He didn't mention the "starboard" one, so I didn't mess with the "starboard" one. kk's right though, it'll all get sorted out pretty quickly - no matter which one's a little bit out!

Have a good day (or night, as the case may be), boys!

David
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:15 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Hey David,
The crowd are definately tough, you certainly couldn't eat a full one of 'em
The starboard leg looked fine to me, only the port seemed to be toe'd in a bit, you may of course like a bit of toe-in to keep things straight on the runway, but I can't get away with that on the sand
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,689 Posts
...and I can't tell port from starboard, nor talk from mutter........

Just ignore me - I find that usually works!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
C'mon guys, give the man a break. Let him amongst us who has never had a cockeyed wire undercarriage cast the first stone - that lets me out! And I am sure that the Deacon will fly so well and land so gently that once it's straight the undercarriage will stay that way
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:43 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Yes, I'm out too.
So please don't take any of our teases seriously David, we are looking forward to the next progress update.
sparks
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined May 2009
600 Posts
No offense taken guys. It just amuses me the way some of your thought processes go. Seriously, I don't see half of the witty responses in this forum coming. Sometimes it takes a while for me to get it. A little slow, I guess. Must be my southern drawl being manifest in areas other than speech.
Last edited by cd_webb; Jul 11, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:20 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,689 Posts
Indeed, it was pure banter - no aspersions were intentionally cast in the making of these posts. And as one who only ever managed to 'square the circle' a good 3/8" away from the noseblock, I fully expect to be ripped into when the Ajax undercarry-arge gets the Blink pliers treatment.

And that time is rapidly approaching!!!!!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:15 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Ajax undercarry-arge gets the Blink pliers treatment.

And that time is rapidly approaching!!!!!
And we will all be watching...Mwahahaaaaa!
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:54 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
Being serious for a moment folks (hard to do when Colonel Blink is involved); this business of trying to get wire undercarts right is why, in my latest spell of building vintage type models with wire undercarriages, I have adopted a standardised procedure which goes like this: build two tubes into the fuselage, rear one at the normal u/c location is for the main leg, front one for the supporting leg. Then bend up two identical rear and two identical front leg halves, much easier to do than trying to bend a full undercarriage in one piece. Also easier as, using this method, thinner wire can be used for the front and rear legs than would be the case with a single leg version (eg 18swg rear, 20 swg front on the Witch and Sportster, 16 and 18 swg on the Zephyr). Insert one front and one rear leg into their tubes, adjust to optimum position, bind together with a thin strip of masking tape to hold position, then bind with fuse wire, solder. Repeat for the other side. Remove legs and only re-insert secured with a spot of CA AFTER covering - it is MUCH easier to cover the fuselage with no wires sticking out. If your binding/soldering is a bit messy, slip a length of heat shrink tube over the joint and shrink it up.

Providing you anchor the tubes in well with ply gussets etc, this is very strong.

Plugging into pre-installed tubes is also useful on scale models for other wire work such as rigging supports etc as on the Eastbourne - would have been a nightmare to cover around all the wire.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Nice examples George, I think i'll try the method myself.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined May 2009
600 Posts
Except for situating wires and nailing down the battery location, the fuse is done. I think the .015 thickness acetate was just a bit too thick for the bend around the top of the cabin. Most of yesterday and pretty much all of today is what it took to get it done. I'm just not good at the canopy/windshield thing. The .015 was all I had and I finally made it work with a few stress marks being the result. Even with a little heat it was just plain tough! I'll order some thinner stuff next time.

Wing is built and should be able to start it tomorrow. Don't foresee any problems there - except that I'm running on empty for black covering. Should have [I]just[I] enough. Which brings me to another matter.

I do envy you guys who make nice covering jobs out of Mylar and tissue. I tried it again and STILL made a mess of it. I don't know. I thought I could read and follow instructions, but apparently that's not the case.
Last edited by cd_webb; Sep 04, 2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:54 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
That looks great David, a really nice and crisp colour scheme. I am the opposite to you - absolutely no problems with mylar/tissue, but I can't cover with film to save my life. Flying soon!!!???
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:37 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
I would not worry too much about the covering, the fus and tailsurfaces look great in the shiney black and cream, set off really well with the red trim too. Nicely done David.
sparks