HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:14 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
I simply took an appropriate length of the multi-wire cable you can get from any computer spares shop......[etc]
Inspirational! And an idea that may be appearing in a certain Louis Heath KK design near you before long....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
......for the two elevator servos you only need one signal wire with both servo signal wires connected to it at the back and the three wires just soldered to the appropriate three wires on the connector cut from one of the servos and this plugged into the elevator channel..
I think that David's Deacon has the two servos operating rudder and elevator, rather than both doing invididual elevators - so seperate signal wires would be the order of the day....
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:08 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I think that David's Deacon has the two servos operating rudder and elevator, rather than both doing invididual elevators - so seperate signal wires would be the order of the day....
Ooops, yes, of course! I did vaguely think two elevator servos was a bit of a luxery!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States
Joined May 2009
557 Posts
Work continues on the Deacon. More bits and pieces have been added to the fuselage and I am nearly ready to add the balsa sides. The motor is mounted and the next thing on the agenda is to determine what size lipo and how far forward I can fit it. Then placement of the esc and receiver and method of securing those and I can sheet the sides. Still a long way to go but so far I'm happy with it.

I still can not seem to help myself as far as beefing up the structure. Not sure if any of these pics show it, but I added gussets inside the fuse at every vertical and horizontal member. I can be rough and/or careless when building and felt that I needed the insurance. I also was not wild about the top stringers butt joining the cabin. I made the butt joint, but I also pegged the joint with a glued in round toothpick. The whole thing now feels very strong.

David
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Last edited by cd_webb; Jun 29, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:36 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Nice work David. As you have added the gussets to the fuse members, why not do the firewall area where there is a lot of weight and forces acting on the structure?
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:43 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,280 Posts
Looking really good David. A few well placed gussets are a good idea and will hardly be noticed in the overall weight. As Sparks says a couple behind the firewall might be worthwhile, it never hurts to have a bit of extra stiffness in the motor mount area.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States
Joined May 2009
557 Posts
Advise heard and taken guys. Gussets are installed backing the firewall. I don't know about the rest of you, but my brain gets going in all directions on these plan builds and things sometimes get overlooked. Thanks for seeing what I didn't!

Can some of you boys that that are familiar with wire sizes tell me what American size corresponds with 12 swg? It looks to be like 3/32 maybe?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:04 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,398 Posts
American I thought the Brits invented feet & inches

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States
Joined May 2009
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
American I thought the Brits invented feet & inches

Ray
Well maybe THAT'S where we got it from. It works pretty well, and I'm much to old to learn anything else!

Thank you very much, Ray. That one gets added to the other "useful charts" stashed in a file of the same name.

David
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,280 Posts
I got worried when you talked about 'beefing up the structure' because my intention (when I get a round tuit) on any vintage i/c to electric conversion would be to go down a size on the wood sizes - especially for the fuz (though probably not on wing spar, LE & TE) on the grounds that the structure would not be subjected to the horrendous shaking from a single cyl 1950s motor...........

Then I realised that you were referring to gussetry, and all was well with my world

Looking good!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:01 PM
United States
Joined May 2009
557 Posts
Well, I wasn't all that happy with the LG sewn onto 16th ply, but I figured if it worked for FF, it should work on one of my semi-controlled landings. Besides, I needed something else to beef up. Anyway, landing gear bent, attached and beefed!

After that, I spent the rest of the day pondering on,and building a battery box. I've not lit on a way to secure it in one particular spot yet, but I'll have easy access with a bottom hatch and a large range of movement. I can shove it as far forward as right underneath the motor if I need to.

Colonel, you mustn't get too worked up over my ramblings. I'm fairly confident that most everyone else here (including you) has way more experience than I do at IC to electric conversions. This is only my second and the first is still unfinished.

Good night all!
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_webb View Post
Colonel, you mustn't get too worked up over my ramblings. I'm fairly confident that most everyone else here (including you) has way more experience than I do at IC to electric conversions. This is only my second and the first is still unfinished. Good night all!
Nope - never done one! I'm just full of 'fertilizer'

In fact, the Ajax is my first rubber to RC electric conversion....so you have more than twice my experience!!
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:25 PM
United States
Joined May 2009
557 Posts
Hey everybody! Done very little except try to keep my day job up to snuff and cut, glue and sand balsa. My wife thinks I need to expand my horizons (the list of Mrs. CD's honey-do's is getting noticeably longer)! She's really gonna flip when I finally finish and then leave to fly it, or try to at any rate.

I don't think that this will be my last Veron plan build. Every pattern I've cut has been practically perfect with little or no adjustments. Pretty impressive compared to some plans I've tried.

As you can see, the build is winding down. All that remains is installing the receiver, the sub fin, and the rear rubber band dowel blocks, along with a little sanding. Then I'm back into the unknown...tissue over Doculam. I made a mess of my first try, but this time I'm determined to get it right. I've got a brand new can of WBP and I'm not afraid to use it.

At the point you see it in the pics, I'm at 18 oz. I have no idea how much the covering will add, but I will find out.

I knew the first time I saw this one on paper that it was a nice looking plane and the 3d version is certainly not disappointing. Hope it flies like it looks!

David
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:54 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,280 Posts
That is a lovely framework, looks absolutely great. Yes, Phil Smith was a terrific designer and all the Veron kits I ever built were of excellent quality. You need have no fears about the flying performance, Deacons ALWAYS fly well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:01 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Nice work David.
Is it my eyes, or an optical Ilyushin, or is the portside UC leg a tad out of line?
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:01 PM
United States
Joined May 2009
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
... is the portside UC leg a tad out of line?
sparks
Yep, that it was! All better now...