SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:47 AM
Finland
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
Help!
Updating an old Nikko boat

Hey there,

I have an old 27 mHz Nikko boat that I 'd like to bring up to date with some new parts. Even though it's a twin-motor construction, it doesn't go all that well. Each of motors spin at roughly twice the normal speed when turning, so if I could use both of the motors' full potential, the speed of the boat would probably be more acceptable.

The boat currently uses 6x1.5V batteries for the motors plus one 9V battery for the receiver, and I'm planning to either keep it battery-operated or use a 8.4V battery pack from my other boat.

I already have a Hobbyking T4A-V2 radio and I'm hoping that I could use the left stick to control the left engine and vice versa. So what I think I need are a new receiver (T6A-V2) plus TWO speed controllers. Does this sound correct to you? I will be removing all of the original electronics.

What ESC's do you think I should buy? The amps will probably be rather low, so I need something reliable and low-priced. Thanks.

kormoran is offline Find More Posts by kormoran
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:28 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,902 Posts
You could use a single ESC if you added a rudder and didn't use the throttle to turn at all.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:16 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
im belive that even though its a bit more work is to remove everything including the drive units . and re position for one brushless motor possably using one of the old drive units not nessarly for speed mind you but for reliability . depending on lengh and weight of the boat will determin how much battery you will need . i say this because of adding the extra weight of the reciver and two esc" not counting in the batteries it will be much heavier and may end up slower than before or not much better you would need to make sure its balanced . i agree with parsons as to add a rudder .
like i said a bit more work but you will end up with the boat your wanting .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,292 Posts
I agree with the above posts, what is the length of the boat?
boaterguy is online now Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:23 AM
Finland
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy View Post
I agree with the above posts, what is the length of the boat?
Hey there,

LOA is ~20" and the hull itself 17 1/2".

I'm not planning to make this a serious effort and therefore fitting a rudder etc. is out of the question. I want to keep the changes to an absolute minimum. As for the weight, I can scrap the existing circuit board, wires, the switch and the 22" steel antenna, so I think that I would actually be saving weight with the new stuff.

I'm only looking for a small improvement in speed and handling, I'm not trying to make this into something that it isn't (a racing boat that is).
kormoran is offline Find More Posts by kormoran
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:33 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,292 Posts
You would need some complex mixing or a servo controlled switch system to have it run one motor to turn, I'm sure it's not too difficult but you need a radio that has mixing, which aren't cheap. (100$+) On the other hand, you could pick up or build a rudder for 10 bucks and pay about the same for a 12g servo, hook it up to a 20-30$ radio with one ESC controlling both motors, and save some money.
boaterguy is online now Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kormoran View Post
What ESC's do you think I should buy? The amps will probably be rather low, so I need something reliable and low-priced. Thanks.
Hi Kormoran,

Two of these should do the trick:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9090
To be sure the two BEC's don't interfere with eachother, pull the red wire from one ESC by lifting the plastic tab on the connector, pull out the red wire and tape it back (for future use).

Figure out which channel corresponds with the two vertical moving sticks and connect the ESC's to thoce receiver channels.
Running on 8,4V should be no problem.

The old receiverboard should be removed as well as all obsolete wiring.

Keep us posted of your progress.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:12 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,171 Posts
The easiest fix to make it a better boat and a true fully proportional RC is to add a simple center rudder(you can get one for 10 bucks on ebay). Then add an inexpensive speed contoller to control both motors. A Futaba 3003 servo for steering is $9.99 on Tower Hobbies site. Run it with one 7 cell(8.4v) nimh cell and you will have a solid better handling boat with a bit more speed too.

This ESC will run those two smaller motors just fine: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=dh-prb2314

Here's a cheap rudder from OSE: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80048

and the servo: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVW84&P=ML
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1