HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Jun 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
Quadcopter to Tricopter

Hi guys, I would like to make a quadcopter eject 1 of its "arm" just in case the motor fails and orientate the remaining 3 arms into a tricopter setup. Do you guys think its possible to do so?
FullMetal312 is offline Find More Posts by FullMetal312
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:12 PM
I am what I teach
Tucson AZ
Joined Mar 2007
476 Posts
By the time you realzed what was happening, figgured out which motor to eject, re-orintated the machine, started the tricopter program, got the gyros centered (while falling through the air) then started flying it again - your quad woud be about 30 feet underground.

It's called catastrophic failure for a reason.
moparren is offline Find More Posts by moparren
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,099 Posts
I agree with moparren. It would be difficult to do just as an intentional trick let alone as a fail safe system. Not worth the effort. Some type of octocopter configuration would offer better redundancy. I've seen those fly with a motor or two out.

Or just buy better electronics than what the HobbyKings of the world provide.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!