SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:20 AM
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Discussion
Syma S033G Convert from coaxial to non coaxial

Hi I just Purchased 3 Syma S033G Helicopters. I love RC helicopters a Bunch and Enjoy flying them. This being said I have pretty much mastered Coaxial flight, I know that switching to a single blade offers more of a challenge and the ability to do Oh so much more than a coaxial.
That being said I bought 3 of them a few hours ago due to the size and the price i got for them. One is for my wife and one is for my son. I would like to convert the third one too a single prop. I just forked out a few hundred dollars for the three of these so I was wondering if its possible to do a gear mod or just too remove the extra prop. Any input would be welcome. Im trying to convert it as cost efficiently as possible as i only have around 50-60$ to spare for the next month (Gosh dang my impulse buying haha)
Kenwhite23 is offline Find More Posts by Kenwhite23
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:42 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
I believe you can buy a DH9116 atm for around the $50.00 mark, that would be what I'd do in your position, seeing it fits in your budget. I really can't see any way of converting a co-ax to single rotor FP at all, let alone cheaply. The 9116 flies like a bus compared to a 120 SR or MCPX but would make a good starter for FP. They can be flown in a very light breeze too, unlike a co-ax
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
So an update after browsing around for a while more i ended up canceling the third syma S033g and getting 2 Double Horse 9100 "Hover" 3-Channel Sports R/C Helicopter w/ Built in Gyroscope. So i get 4 for the same price i was going to get 3 but i can also Have coaxial and Single blade flight. Im severly excited. I would still like to convert an S033G to a single blade however just due to the size I love Larger Models.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:01 AM
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Yeah this is me spoiling myself for no reason haha I did one day shipping so im looking forward to having Four helicopters on my front porch tommorow Ill upload pics when i get them. Since it would probably be dificult to convert the s033 do you know about the possibility of buy a control module to fly one with my android phone? I wouldnt mind adding a camera to an s033 when money permits and being able to remote fly it with my phone.
Also is there anything fun i can do to customize a double horse 9100? I was smart enough to buy a couple dozen replacement part sets I have roughly 30-40 that i can spend and am looking to customize one of them just to add a personal touch
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Ken, the addiction really hit you hard.

Be sure to pay attention to the radio frequencies that your helicopters use. They have to be on different radio frequency bands to operate more than one at the same time. Radio frequency bands are 27MHz, 35MHZ, 40MHz, 49MHz as marked on the back of your transmitters and on the helicopters.

Fun idea to think about converting a coaxial to single blade. I agree with Angrydad. The conversion would be equivalent to replacing the coaxial with a complete set of parts from a single blade helicopter.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Thanks the main reason Also is that the s033g is a 700size and i found this REALLY awesome UH-1B Huey Fuselage for a 700Size but i dont think a coaxial would work for it. here is the actual fuselage i want to get someday:

Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
S033G
Main Rotor Diameter: 546mm (21.5 inch)
Tail Rotor Diameter: 152mm (6 inch)
Battery: 11.1V 1100mAh Li-Po

Slightly larger blade diameter than the DH9104 I started with, which is the larger version of the DH9100 and I think the same transmitter.

The 3 channel DH9100 was upgraded as the 4 channel DH9116 and most mechanical parts are the same.

Your helicopters are very rugged and you should go a few months without any crash damage. And relatively safe too due to the low rotor speed.

Be sure to kill throttle before you crash. A stalled rotor will burn up the motors or the electronics. Better to drop 10 meters after killing throttle than to hit something under power.

DH9100 will be harder to fly, so take your time with it. Take off quickly and get it up above the ground effect (1 meter). You can not do a slow lift off with these until you learn the tricks to flying them.
---

Customizing

A larger plastic bottle can be cut and molded in hot water to make your own canopy. They look great and certainly different.

Use the search function to find "bottle" for other canopies.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...l#post21822904

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=895
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Jun 22, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:42 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwhite23 View Post
Thanks the main reason Also is that the s033g is a 700size and i found this REALLY awesome UH-1B Huey Fuselage for a 700Size but i dont think a coaxial would work for it. here is the actual fuselage i want to get someday:

Not sure where you see that the S033g is a "700 size". An Align T-Rex 700 size has a main rotor that's over 5 feet in diameter (1602mm) and uses blades that are each 27 - 28 inches long (690-710mm). The tail rotor is 11 inches in diameter (281mm). Any fuselage for a 700 is going to be 5 to 6 feet long. I don't think that will fit a syma S033g.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
the 700mm size of the Syma S033G is somewhat misleading. First because it is actually 670mm and that is still misleading as it refers to the entire size of the model.
nitewolf is offline Find More Posts by nitewolf
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Well thank you for all your input. Ill probably end up handbuilding the UH-1B huey and just ordering the parts reccomended for it. As far as the DH9100 I ended up going with the 9116. Im also looking into the pop bottle canopy idea as it sounds fun and interesting. Im considering a camera for it too as i found a lightweight Camera mount that can be controlled with my phone so I can monitor it real time or even just hover and use the phone controls to move the camera around. I just need to figure out a good way to counterbalance the extra wight.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:27 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
An interesting proposition converting a coax into a single blade heli, but would it be cost effective, I think not, but it's not my money.

First, you need to upgrade the size of the main motor then integrate the gyro into the tail rotor, then turn the tail rotor on it's side facing against the torque from the main blades. It's do-able, but why would you, unless you really enjoy difficult challenges.

If you do get the DH9116, come and join us in the Double Horse 9116 thread, I'm sure we can help you with any problem or situation you may come across with it.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:38 PM
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Dec 2013
2 Posts
4 channel heli

I to have thought of a conversion, but only because I am looking for a 4 channel single blade helicopter, at least 30 inches long. I don't want a six channel, because I won't be flying crazy, just for realism. And also because a 4 channel has a lot less parts, less to worry about, tune, and less maintainence. Would anyone know where I could find a 30+inch 4 channel heli?
GMatthews is offline Find More Posts by GMatthews
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:04 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Multiplex Funcopter. Tower hobbies sells them. Beyond that, you have a lot of misconceptions about realism, maintenance, parts, etc.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 17, 2014, 04:01 PM
Flying at North Edward's
United States, CA, North Edwards
Joined Jun 2010
111 Posts
Don't mind me, I'm just watching the thread
kgoodone is offline Find More Posts by kgoodone