HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:31 PM
New York City
Joined May 2008
81 Posts
Discussion
Need advice on my next helicopter

I currently fly the blade msR and mastered it. I now want to move ahead to collective pitch helis. What is the best micro collective pitch heli that is good for indoors?
Phenom01 is offline Find More Posts by Phenom01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom01 View Post
I currently fly the blade msR and mastered it. I now want to move ahead to collective pitch helis. What is the best micro collective pitch heli that is good for indoors?
Blade mCPX. If you have a DX6i transmitter to make it more dossel indoors. Others might suggest the Genius cp.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:13 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,465 Posts
mCPX is fine, Genius CP another good choice and also Solo-pro 100D. Want a better bird Solo-pro 180D.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The Solo Pro 180D is a nice package for the money. If I didn't already have a DX6i, I'd buy one.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:16 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,465 Posts
I am trying to decide on a 6ch CP. Either the SP 180D or Genius CP aka;XH 100
Nitro has then for $140.00/ SP 180D $145.00/ or another SP 100D $80.00. I need more flying time and backround before 6ch but it will not be that long. 3D is not for me but like ability to do some stunts that F/P can not do.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I had the Genius and sold it. It's a nice little heli, but the Devo 7 is a pain in the ass to program. Lack of removable landing gear (which is fragile) is a pain point. But the worst is the short flight times. The Walkera batteries are poor and don't hold a charge well. After about 6 recharges, you are down to 2 - 3 minute flights. Aftermarket batteries are hard to find and usually need the connectors changed. The best fix for short flight times is a brushless upgrade. There's too many other choices out there now to deal with the hassle.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:52 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
I would leave the Solo Pro 180D alone as it has some of the worse user feedbacks around, even from committed Nine Eagles fanboys. It was not that it did not fly well, but there were so many quality issues. At one stage, HobbyKing was giving it away for free if you bought over $100 of other products. The V120D02S is a much more reliable product but it is not really suitable either as an indoor heli. The Blade 130X looks interesting but it is quite expensive and appears to be targeted at advanced fliers.

Right now, the 100 sized CPs to consider are the MCPx, Genius CP, Mini CP and possibly Solo Pro 125A and the Mini CP. My experience is that the MIni CP is on a completely higher level, being much more stable yet offers a higher performance at the same time. However, its battery life is shorter than the others. I have also been having problems with receiver damage recently but this had also occurred with the Genius CP and MCPx.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:26 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
The 6 channel heli flies differently from a 4 channel. You'll need to relearn how to fly.

In a 6 channel, when you push forward and release the right stick briefly, the heli will move forward and continue moving forward until you move back the right stick. If you do the same thing with a 4 channel, the heli will move forward, then hover.

With the Genius CP or X100, you have the option of flying either way. The 6 axis gyro allows you to fly the heli as if it were a 4 channel flybared heli. Whenever you're ready, you could flip it to the 3 axis gyro mode, where the heli will fly like a normal 6 channel heli. At this time, I have no desire to fly in the 3 axis mode.

Regarding flight times, you get the best flight times if you don't set the pitch curve too far positive from default (as a beginner, you should eliminate the negative pitch default setting).
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:35 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,465 Posts
I have read whats posted about SP 180D and some good /some bad. Just about every heli has some sort of hangup. Some have problems and just attack product. I have Solo-pro 260A/270A/280A/328. The 280A[100D] is still new in box. 260A/270A/328 have been flown and only problem was 260A very fragile L/G and replaced with Extreme set. Guess what.?. I like Nine Eagles. Why would there top line Mico's be defective or quality issues?? I buy complete RTF.
Only bnf is a V911. Lots of TX's. My local drug store has specials on AA batteries every week. Bought 40 for $13.00 I use usb port for some charging, and have several ac chargers. Volt meter lets me knoe what condition batteries are in. Blade heli's are fine but expensive. Maybe just get a quad.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:39 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,465 Posts
P/I thanks for info and that sounds what I would like to do is use it like 4ch bird but ability to go 6ch flying. Right on Bro !!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I have read whats posted about SP 180D and some good /some bad. Just about every heli has some sort of hangup. Some have problems and just attack product. I have Solo-pro 260A/270A/280A/328. The 280A[100D] is still new in box. 260A/270A/328 have been flown and only problem was 260A very fragile L/G and replaced with Extreme set. Guess what.?. I like Nine Eagles. Why would there top line Mico's be defective or quality issues?? I buy complete RTF.
Only bnf is a V911. Lots of TX's. My local drug store has specials on AA batteries every week. Bought 40 for $13.00 I use usb port for some charging, and have several ac chargers. Volt meter lets me knoe what condition batteries are in. Blade heli's are fine but expensive. Maybe just get a quad.
The 180D was Nine Eagles' first ever CP and their first FBL heli. The extra channel adds a completely new level of complexity. By and large, Walkera's FPs such as the 4#6s and V120D01 were alright. But when they added an extra servo, everything started to go wrong with the 4G6s and V120D02. It is only recently that they started getting their smaller CPs right. Club Heli, which is a well respected vendor, stated on record here that they will not sell the Solo Pro 180D because of numerous problem. When HobbyKing literally gives away the heli for free, you really have to ask some questions about it.

If you must buy a Nine Eagles CP, then it should be the 125A. The 100D has quite a lot of problems as well but not as much as the 180D.
Last edited by zadaw; Jun 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:32 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Thanks, Zadaw. I rarely buy anything until I hear what you have to say. You've saved me a lot of money in the past!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:28 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Thanks, Zadaw. I rarely buy anything until I hear what you have to say. You've saved me a lot of money in the past!
I read your posts and take your advice as well! Mind you though, I am extremely sloppy so that I quite often get problems that others don't get.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Genius CP vs Solo Pro 100D

Folks,
I have to say that The Genius CP far superior to the NE Solo Pro100D. I bought the Genius CP about 2 months ago from XHeli for $128 RTF (with Devo 7) and had trouble at first. But then once I fine tuned it a little bit with some help from the forums, I was able to to do basic stuff in the 6-Axis mode. Once I got the hang of that, I have switched to 3-axis mode for the real CP experience. I bought two more this month from Xheli for the same price, and they are sold out now.

All I had so far was a small crack in the canopy where it hooks on to the bottom of the landing skids and a nick on one of the blades. The replacements were cheap - about $15 for both the canopy and the replacement blades from WowHobbies. I have even built some paper canopies from the designs on the web and they to be more durable than the stock canopies. Didn't have an issue with the landing skid, so far (touch wood!!). And the spares are pretty easy to find from US distributors. But, it's a great little heli for a CP beginner like me.

But, the NE Solo Pro 100D was a different story. It's so hard to even get it off the ground. I am reasonably patient. Tried messing with various settings and stuff. But, every time I flew it I broke something. The exposed on the board servos are a real pain and the durability and quality of the Solo Pro is questionable at best. I guess for $80, that's what you get. But, you'll find that you are spending more time fixing something or the other, instead of flying the heli.

I would really recommend the Genius CP. I would like to get a Mini CP, but will wait for a little bit to see if the prices come down.

I have the Walkera QR ladybird and it's a cool real micro-quad and I can use the Devo-7 with that.

However, I found that, with the Solo Pro, the J6 that comes in one box won't bind the Solo Pro that came in another box (I had bought two of the Solo Pros btw.).

The $128 that I paid for the Genius is well worth it. At least I spend most of my time flying and getting better and learning new things every day.
gkrangan is offline Find More Posts by gkrangan
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Apr 2010
873 Posts
If you want to spend more time flying outdoors in the backyard, then consider the Walkera V120D02S. Blade has finally come out with a similar size heli with the 130x, but from what I've read there are less problems with the V120...

I've had the MCPx and agree it is a pretty nice and durable bird for 100 size, but I just don't like birds *that* small. It is too fast to fly indoors really, and outside it is hard to track. I actually have been thru 2 of them before the V120D02S, now the 120 is my favorite backyard flyer. If you don't want to deal with yet another proprietary TX with Walkera, then maybe go with the 130 anyway...

Chief
BHChieftain is online now Find More Posts by BHChieftain