HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:00 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,831 Posts
New Product
Hobby King 64mm EDF NASA Global Hawk

Back in 2003, I had an opportunity to be a Crew Chief on an Air Force Block 10 Global Hawk (Ship 6). Several years ago, Ship 6 went to the NASA Dryden Flight Research Center here at Edwards AFB, CA , so... I couldn't resist the new 64mm NASA Global Hawk from Hobby King.

Assembly was easy with the two issues being: no manual included and the main gear installation. The main gear plastic mount plate holes need to be slightly enlarged to prevent cracking when installing the mount screws. An option is to replace the plastic mount plates with light ply, coated with epoxy. I painted all the hardware white and added pitot tubes to the verticals. Planning to fly the maiden this weekend. I'm using the 1/3 rule back from the leading edge for the initial CG. Once I get it fine tuned, I'll post my CG with a 14.8v 2200mAh battery.

More photos on our blog:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Here's the specs and a few photos:

Specs:
Wingspan: 2360mm (92.9 inches)
Length: 850mm
Wing Area: 23.6dm2
Wing Loading: 42.4g/dm2
Flying Weight: 1000g
EDF: 64mm with Brushless Outrunner Motor
ESC: 50A w/BEC
Servo: 9g x 5

Requires:
Your own 4~6 Channel TX/RX
1800mAh 4s Lipoly Battery

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:21 AM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
how did the maiden go, any other flights, any video?
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,463 Posts
What??

It's made by Haoye, not Hobby King.

Every time these pop up, people call it "New" when in fact, It's been around for quite some time. Hobby City used to sell this years ago. I still have and extra one sitting in the box from 3 years ago. They do fly best as a pusher prop though. They can be made to fly well, a little pitchy so programming the rates is essential.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=global+hawk

RC Global Hawk maiden flights ! With a bonus crash! (6 min 17 sec)
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Last edited by Joe 1320; Aug 16, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
needed some power on the landing! Youtwoba FTW!!! Big fan of that guy!
I am thinking of getting one of these.....
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:16 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,831 Posts
Hey Joe 1320,

Good to see you on the thread.

Believe or not, this Hobby King version is NOT the Haoye Global Hawk. I have the Haoye GH also. This is in fact a new version produced by Hobby King. IMHO, a better version of the Global Hawk than the Haoye. The maiden went OK! No CG info due to no manual, so....I guessed where to put the battery. Takeoff roll was long with what I later discovered was to much aft CG. I went with the one third rule without a manual. Once in the air, it flew great. The first landing attempt was slow but didn't have enough elevator with it so nose heavy. The second approach was faster but with rigid gear and not enough elevator to dampen the bouncy touch down on a rough dry lakebed, the main landing gear ripped out of the wing. Eventually, I'll move the battery back and get it back in the air....too many other projects lately. She's a sweet flier!

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
Hey Joe 1320,

Good to see you on the thread.

Believe or not, this Hobby King version is NOT the Haoye Global Hawk. I have the Haoye GH also. This is in fact a new version produced by Hobby King. IMHO, a better version of the Global Hawk than the Haoye.
Best,
Tony
Ok tony, I'll bite. Hobby king is not a plane manufacturer so I would be really curious as to what is different about this vs the Haoye. Evidently it's a little larger? Who is the manufacturer? HK certainly doesn't mold their own stuff, it's all farmed out. Hextronic does electronics.

It does look like there are some improvements, I would really like a rundown....
Last edited by Joe 1320; Aug 16, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:51 AM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,831 Posts
My guess is the airframe is produced by FMS or Starmax for Hobby King. HK uses the name Durafly yet their 1100mm warbirds are produced by FMS.

Major differences with the Hobby King Global Hawk include longer/narrow wing 2360mm verses Haoye 2000mm wingspan. HK GH fuselage length is 850mm verses Haoye fuselage length of 768mm. Large ventral fins on the HK GH. The HK aircraft is far more scale with smaller intake for 64mm fan verses larger/wide Haoye intake for the 68mm fan.

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Aug 17, 2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,463 Posts
I stand corrected then, it's not the Haoye. Any flight report other than what you originally posted?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:28 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,831 Posts
Hey Joe,

I initially thought the HK Global Hawk was the Haoye until it arrived at the house. The stock power is very good and it's a very nice flying powered glider. It looks awesome in the air. Well worth the $100.

Regards,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
Hey Joe,

I initially thought the HK Global Hawk was the Haoye until it arrived at the house. The stock power is very good and it's a very nice flying powered glider. It looks awesome in the air. Well worth the $100.

Regards,
Tony
I'm going wait until I can find it from a different source. Been burned too many times from there.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:58 AM
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Valkeakoski
Joined Sep 2012
498 Posts
I got the PNF RQ-4 a short while ago and on the first spin-up after assembly, the spinner of the EDF disintegrated and did a bit damage to the foam. Everything still works though. Haven't had the chance to maiden it yet (weather...).
However, I wonder if anybody had a closer look at the internals and knows the performance data of the stock EDF. I was thinking of putting another one - maybe a little bit more powerful - in.
Stefan_Go is offline Find More Posts by Stefan_Go
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:09 PM
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Valkeakoski
Joined Sep 2012
498 Posts
I'd like to renew my question here. Anybody knows the data of the stock EDF? My RQ-4 never really made it off the ground, so I guess, the EDF is broken. What would be a suitable replacement - maybe a bit better in power and quality?
Stefan_Go is offline Find More Posts by Stefan_Go