SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by xplaneguy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:46 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,509 Posts
New Product
Hobby King 64mm RQ-4B NASA Global Hawk

Back in 2003, I had an opportunity to be a Crew Chief on an Air Force Block 10 Global Hawk (Ship 6). Several years ago, Ship 6 went to the NASA Dryden Flight Research Center here at Edwards AFB, CA , so... I couldn't resist the new 64mm NASA Global Hawk from Hobby King.

Assembly was easy with the two issues being: no manual included and the main gear installation. The main gear plastic mount plate holes need to be slightly enlarged to prevent cracking when installing the mount screws. An option is to replace the plastic mount plates with light ply, coated with epoxy. I painted all the hardware white and added pitot tubes to the verticals. Planning to fly the maiden this weekend. I'm using the 1/3 rule back from the leading edge for the initial CG. Once I get it fine tuned, I'll post my CG with a 14.8v 2200mAh battery.

Here's the specs and some photos:

Specs:
Wingspan: 2360mm (92.9 inches)
Length: 850mm
Wing Area: 23.6dm2
Wing Loading: 42.4g/dm2
Flying Weight: 1000g
EDF: 64mm with Brushless Outrunner Motor
ESC: 50A w/BEC
Servo: 9g x 5

Requires:
Your own 4~6 Channel TX/RX
1800mAh 4s Lipoly Battery

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:13 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,022 Posts
Great stuff Tony - loved the pics.

I have one of these too, unfortunately it was packageed with two starboard stabilisers only. Went through the mill with HK and then found a chap in Aussie who had received one with two port stabs, so we are doing swapsies at the moment.

Would be relly keen to hear your thoughts and tips on this model - thanks.

ps Evelyn is growing up to be quite the young lady - has she found "boys" yet??
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ModelAero Polaris Ultra
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:29 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,509 Posts
Kiwikid-Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear about the vertical stabilizer problem.

The only boy Evelyn likes is Harry Potter.....thank God! She's read all the books and owns the movies.

Best regards,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:02 PM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
hi im thinking of buying this EDF is the PNF version right? does the edf work well or you think i might change ir for this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._750w_4s_.html
ara25demayo is offline Find More Posts by ara25demayo
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:07 AM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,509 Posts
The stock fan works well with more than enough thrust but it could use some balancing. I have one flight on mine and will be moving the battery aft to the back edge of the battery mount plate

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member