Euphoric flights
United States, NY, Fredonia
Joined Aug 2011
583 Posts
Discussion
Hollow channel spars, how to fabricate?

OK so here is how I envisioned that these hollow spars would be made:

Channels are cut with a mighty knife

Then carbon matting of some sort is bedded down on the channels which are then slathered in some sort of epoxy.

Then a "plug" is pressed in to get the nice shape.

The process finishes, dries and plug is released.

But... would this spar be strong enough to be depended upon? Also what type of matting / layers would be needed as well as resin? Can someone list specific sites?

Gratzi, Gratzi.
GreenAce92_v2 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92_v2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:31 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,320 Posts
In the book "Radio Control Foam Modelling" the author showed a spar which was a half circle cut out and glass or carbon was laid into the kerf and then the half circle was pressed back in. Seemed like a good idea...I haven't ever tried it though.

Do you need the channel to be hollow? or could you use the foam for the "plug?"
Ward Hagaman is offline Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:46 AM
Euphoric flights
United States, NY, Fredonia
Joined Aug 2011
583 Posts
Well the channel ideally is to be for dual use, not only for structural reinforcement but to house the wires going to servos on the wings...

Sort of like an "easy to get to" solution for long wires. Though it isn't necessary that they be hollow. However most likely the channels will be hollow since I "pick" out the the foam channel with a flat head screw driver.
GreenAce92_v2 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92_v2