HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined May 2009
77 Posts
Help!
How to trim/configure my first Quad

Hi everybody,

Two days ago I built my first quad. Here are the parts I used:
Trying to fly it but had no luck so far. The quad is not balanced at all. It does not raise parallel to the ground. I tried to trim it but it does not help much, since it is always unbalanced in at least 1-2 axis. Originally used XCopter 4.7 firmware, then swapped to Quadcopter 4.6 in "+" configuration. Also turned the board so that arrows point in the direction of the flight.

One thing I noticed with Quadcopter 4.6 firmware is that first when i give a little bit throttle my motors spin slowly. Then withing 20 seconds their RPM slow raise a lot and it wants to lift. I tiny down throttle immediately turns off fast spinning motors. Did ESCs/board calibration.

Also, motors 1 and 2 are spinning much slower than 3 and 4 motors.

Please help to fly this bird. I don't know where to start with. Also which configuration is preferable for a complete quad beginner "X" or "+"?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Ruben
rubenhak is offline Find More Posts by rubenhak
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:56 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,632 Posts
Start by calibrating the throttle end points of each ESC one at a time while connected to the rc receiver. This will correct a lot of what you are seeing here.

AKA: "Also, motors 1 and 2 are spinning much slower than 3 and 4 motors." and the rig not being level.
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined May 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansAuf View Post
Start by calibrating the throttle end points of each ESC one at a time while connected to the rc receiver. This will correct a lot of what you are seeing here.
I did calibrate each ESC individually with the receiver before. Then I did calibrate them with the mutirotor control board. Should I do it once again after reflashing board firmware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansAuf View Post
AKA: "Also, motors 1 and 2 are spinning much slower than 3 and 4 motors." and the rig not being level.
What does that mean? My quad is level on the ground. This is easily visible even without props. So what should I do to fix that?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:36 PM
KK Tri Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
If you have flashed the KK board firmware, then you should recalibrate the ESCs again through the board.

The HK KK board only has gyros so it does not need to be level when you take off, but it makes it easier to control. The gyros are calibrated/zeroed when you raise the throttle on the KK firmware, so your quad needs to be motionless just before you throttle up.

It sounds like you might just need to use more trim. Trim your TX towards the fast motors, until you get them running about the same speed when you throttle up a bit.
mattcro is offline Find More Posts by mattcro
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined May 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcro View Post
If you have flashed the KK board firmware, then you should recalibrate the ESCs again through the board.
Already did that, it makes no difference.

Quote:
It sounds like you might just need to use more trim. Trim your TX towards the fast motors, until you get them running about the same speed when you throttle up a bit.
Will try to do that. Do you have any idea why do the motors start to spin faster on themselves even on the lowest throttle setting?

What is the best firmware for quadcopter you would recommend to use?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined May 2009
77 Posts
Surprisingly I flashed XXcontrol_KR_QuadCopter_v2_5 firmware on the board and everything gets to normal. I could left the copter. Trims very very close to 0. Now need to learn how to fly that thing. Maybe other firmwares I used were not very well compatible with the HK v3.0 board.

One more question. With my radio, can i configure mixer so that the copter would be in "X" configuration, instead of the "+" which is currently running on it.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:43 PM
United States, AZ, Seligman
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenhak View Post
Surprisingly I flashed XXcontrol_KR_QuadCopter_v2_5 firmware on the board and everything gets to normal. I could left the copter. Trims very very close to 0. Now need to learn how to fly that thing. Maybe other firmwares I used were not very well compatible with the HK v3.0 board.

One more question. With my radio, can i configure mixer so that the copter would be in "X" configuration, instead of the "+" which is currently running on it.
Do you have Delta mixing on your radio? Read this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...50&highlight=x
Dave8888 is offline Find More Posts by Dave8888
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
You could also flash it with XXcontrol_KR_XCopter_v2_5 firmware
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:09 AM
Joined May 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave8888 View Post
Do you have Delta mixing on your radio? Read this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...50&highlight=x
Yes, my radio supports delta mixing. I kind of got lost. When I do delta mix, should I rotate the board 45 degrees so that it matches flight direction or I should keep it just like in the + config?

I'm just afraid that it will go bad again with other firmware...
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:12 AM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
when using delta mix you can leave the board like + config.
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
Do not rotate board. Keep it like + mode
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:43 AM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,071 Posts
do you use the suggested prop? it seems 750kv is usualy suggested to use 11" prop
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined May 2009
77 Posts
I tried the XCopter KR v2.5 firmware and it works great as well. So I rotated the board and now it works great. No need to use delta mix. One other difference I noticed that with this firmware motor number 2 is front right, but previously I was using it for left rear. Maybe that was the cause why it didn't fly with other firmwares.

I got 11" props as well, just wanted to test with smaller ones.

Thanks to everybody. This problem is solved.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:14 AM
KK Tri Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
The KK XCopter 4.7 firmware includes PI control, and that gives you heading-hold behaviour. If the trims are slightly off, then any small command input due to trimming will be accumulated and the copter will try harder and harder to move in the commanded direction... causing one or more motors speed up.
mattcro is offline Find More Posts by mattcro
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined May 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
The KK XCopter 4.7 firmware includes PI control, and that gives you heading-hold behaviour. If the trims are slightly off, then any small command input due to trimming will be accumulated and the copter will try harder and harder to move in the commanded direction... causing one or more motors speed up.
Where can I read more about this? What does PI stand for?