HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:18 AM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
705 Posts
Hi Chris, Thanks for the tips!....you are complete right about all that correcting, and i know it in my mind, but from all the RC car running and giving cross control out of the turns, i'm still reaction the same way, and i should be doing just the opposite like you are suggesting, this would help me out of the turns, AND keep my front wheel from wagging, as it's trying to correct my cadiwampus inputs!....i am having such a great time with the new MM 450, and for me, this is the most fun i've had with RC!!!
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:19 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Do you guys know why they race ARX bike on grass? So the tires dont wear out. As those tires wear the bikes handling gets worse and worse. The tire compliance is in the stud of the tire. When the studs wear out the tire gets harder and harder. The bike cannot handle as well until it becomes practically undrivable.
That is another advantage of the MM450/VMX MXR tire design. It wears and tunes just like a buggy or truggy tire because it has an insert.
I see where your coming from Chris and yes you don't go racing generally without suspension tuning and upgrades from suspension technicians.
I guess I've been spoilt a little by buying Losi, Associated and other top level racing equipment needing no upgrading out of the box. Only setting tweaks. In truth I had started to look at the ARX bike simply because of the E Gyro. The things that put me off were the rear tyre and compound as I mainly use my bike on hard pack and the steering seems no where near as responsive as the VMX/MM is. Obviously the looks play a big part as well. Boy was I glad when I heard you were bringing out an E Gyro that works well.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:21 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFASTPHIL View Post
Hi Chris, Thanks for the tips!....you are complete right about all that correcting, and i know it in my mind, but from all the RC car running and giving cross control out of the turns, i'm still reaction the same way, and i should be doing just the opposite like you are suggesting, this would help me out of the turns, AND keep my front wheel from wagging, as it's trying to correct my cadiwampus inputs!....i am having such a great time with the new MM 450, and for me, this is the most fun i've had with RC!!!
Hear hear Phil, the most fun easily.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:27 AM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
705 Posts
....i'd like to add that this last weekend i got a chance to show and run my new bike for my good friend Gary, he had never seen an RC bike, and after i ran it for a few minutes, i gave him the controls, and as a complete novice, he was broadsliding and doing wheelies right away, with a giant smile on his face!....i would also like to give a big thumbs up to Venom, who sent me some extra stuff and street tires right away, i like fast service!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:34 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,517 Posts
Here's my fun today. No hospital. Some backflips, crashed attempts and Vinnie thought he'd try a one handed 360. Didn't quite pull it off. The last one is the best. Sorry about delay between jumps. One day I'll sort out a movie app. Sorry Chris not a MM but on its way, this will be even easier with Deegan on board.
VMX450 (3 min 20 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:50 AM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
705 Posts
Hey Chris, that's a nice place to run, and the jump is great!....you had the camera set-up just right to catch that last jump....was that a backflip?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:54 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFASTPHIL View Post
Hey Chris, that's a nice place to run, and the jump is great!....you had the camera set-up just right to catch that last jump....was that a backflip?
Yea it's a good spot that jump is quite steep, there are two back flips after a few warm up jumps and some crashed attempts. Have some footage over a fast big jump looks good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:10 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,517 Posts
Hopefully this should be the big jump. Have got some footage from the stump across in this picture as well. Would love to slow mo this.
VMX450 (1 min 58 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:15 AM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Here's my fun today. No hospital. Some backflips, crashed attempts and Vinnie thought he'd try a one handed 360. Didn't quite pull it off. The last one is the best. Sorry about delay between jumps. One day I'll sort out a movie app. Sorry Chris not a MM but on its way, this will be even easier with Deegan on board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxALH...e_gdata_player
BTW... although I like your videos... you don't need to post the same video in multiple threads... if anything... link back to the video thread from the others if you want to make sure it gets seen....
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:18 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2 View Post
BTW... although I like your videos... you don't need to post the same video in multiple threads... if anything... link back to the video thread from the others if you want to make sure it gets seen....
Will try that thanks for the advice.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:44 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Do you guys know why they race ARX bike on grass? So the tires dont wear out.
Sorry Chris, but you have no Idea.
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:47 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,517 Posts
This one mightn't look that big on video but compare the length to my height, and that's buttoning off not full throttle at all. If I give it too much it flat lands. One of my favorite jumps. I put Vinnie through a lot today. He loves it. You can hear the hard landing on the second jump when I brake and then don't hit the throttle. On the others the landings are good.
VMX450 (1 min 41 sec)

That's my fun for the day.
I think he has an idea, the best.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:28 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,721 Posts
Great vids BUT Vinnie needs to stay in the vinnie thread. Im here for Deegan.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:36 AM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenzwerg View Post
Sorry Chris, but you have no Idea.
??? Umm yes I do. I have tested the ARX and Ricky bikes, 4 total, and many tires. As soon as the tire lugs wear off the bike handles worse, plain and simple. The tire is a rubber band with lugs on it on top of a hard wheel. There is no tire wall compliance. The result is a harder "tire" as the lugs wear down to the carcass/wheel shell.

Unless there has been a recent development in tires for the ARX that I'm not aware of then what Im describing is the typical behavior of the ARX/Ricky tire.

I tested the bikes on dirt, grass and pavement.

Maybe another reason for racing mostly grass is because its easy to make a track or find a location. I know you run on dirt but most of what is shown is grass. Run the bikes on hard pack dirt and you will wear out tires fast.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:32 PM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
try this link in a bit and it should work having problems with my internet connection uploading now

MM450 first run with Egyro UK rc dirt bike action (10 min 45 sec)
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247