chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More bike fun
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:19 AM
MCY
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Egyro Problem

Hi, I'm new in here. I have a problem with my egyro esc. I already have 2 esc problem(no function) in 3months. So can i know how to prevent this esc faulty again?
MCY is offline Find More Posts by MCY
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:24 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,702 Posts
Even though I'm pretty happy with the handling of my bike, with racing starting this year I thought I'd try and improve a few things. I have some of those fast Eddie bearings coming, a couple of micro drive sets to reduce weight and rotating mass. I also thought I'd try some of these shorty batteries. They weigh over 100 grams lighter than a 5200 and the weight is lower down also. A few changes hopefully the bike will be better again.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newat...anageattach&p=
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:16 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCY View Post
Hi, I'm new in here. I have a problem with my egyro esc. I already have 2 esc problem(no function) in 3months. So can i know how to prevent this esc faulty again?
Some guys have had gyro ESC problems when they have had wires rub through around the brake calliper area and sometimes where the wire exits the bearing. I've used my bikes for many hours and never seen an issue yet cross fingers. I do remove excessive side play in the rear rim by using a drop of CA glue in the small bearing housing and letting it run around and dry with the face down. There are the odd faulty ones I guess also but it may pay to check your wiring.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Some guys have had gyro ESC problems when they have had wires rub through around the brake calliper area and sometimes where the wire exits the bearing. I've used my bikes for many hours and never seen an issue yet cross fingers. I do remove excessive side play in the rear rim by using a drop of CA glue in the small bearing housing and letting it run around and dry with the face down. There are the odd faulty ones I guess also but it may pay to check your wiring.
Second that and you also need to check the the inner of the bearing race where the gyro wires exit is not turning on the anodised red shaft .
If the bearing is faulty the race can tighten up and with inner possibly turning can wear through the insulation
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:50 AM
Puerto Rico, Guayama, Guayama
Joined Jun 2006
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Had some more fun this arvy after the rain watered the track for me. I secured the camera better also this time. Good fun.
http://youtu.be/fRUD7K-yICQ
http://youtu.be/ViyijlkPbLE
Nice Chris! Enjoyed the videos very much. Good stuff.

David
davehour is offline Find More Posts by davehour
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:20 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehour View Post
Nice Chris! Enjoyed the videos very much. Good stuff.

David
Thanks David, gives a great view from a different angle. I'll be doing some HD videos in the next week or two. I'm probably going to the local track this weekend if the weather is fine so I'd like to get some video of that track. Maybe I'll try looking forward also but I have to make up some arms onto the bars to make it not look funny.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:32 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,789 Posts
Quote:
Even though I'm pretty happy with the handling of my bike, with racing starting this year I thought I'd try and improve a few things. I have some of those fast Eddie bearings coming, a couple of micro drive sets to reduce weight and rotating mass. I also thought I'd try some of these shorty batteries. They weigh over 100 grams lighter than a 5200 and the weight is lower down also. A few changes hopefully the bike will be better again.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newat...anageattach&p=
If anyone does not need to get faster for a race it would be you lol. It would be like Milsaps racing against rookie 250 guys, go easy on them or you will scare them off. Anyways, looking forward to your experience with the micro drive after a lot of abuse. Finally, same goes for those shorty packs as I've been wanting to get some like those which will be way cheaper than TopDave's custom packs made here by US company. Biggest problem is the ESC as I bet those plugs will exit right where esc sits. Have you checked that out yet?
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:22 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
If anyone does not need to get faster for a race it would be you lol. It would be like Milsaps racing against rookie 250 guys, go easy on them or you will scare them off. Anyways, looking forward to your experience with the micro drive after a lot of abuse. Finally, same goes for those shorty packs as I've been wanting to get some like those which will be way cheaper than TopDave's custom packs made here by US company. Biggest problem is the ESC as I bet those plugs will exit right where esc sits. Have you checked that out yet?
Should be easy to fit the wires JMc. Take the male battery plugs and file / grind the wire soldering cup off the top of the plug leaving the bottom of the cup to solder to. Solder the wires perpendicular to the plug so the wires are parallel with the length of the battery and cut the wires to the required lengths.....Done! The balance tap should work the same. You can feel the lower CG with the short packs for sure.
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Last edited by TopDave; Feb 16, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:03 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,789 Posts
Yeah I rigged up some plugs that way too and snipped the balance cable as this cable stays on bike. I have another cable with balance plug only for charging. I keep my standard 2s batts as low as possible but its not much so I got maybe a half inch out of it. I moved the esc down to bottom of radiator protector, but I still had to drill 2 access holes to get the plugs in. Maybe I wasnt aggressive enough with the plugs, but even with the short posts it wasnt enough to allow batt to slide in. Definately would get the shorty 4000mah packs if I started racing though. Wonder how much runtime a ~4000 pack gives.

Probably what I would do is just grind into the pack where the females are at and solder hardwire out wire going out the top of the case with favorite connector. Done.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Last edited by JohnnyMc; Feb 15, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:29 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,702 Posts
Quote:
That's what racing is all about John, getting you and your bike to go as fast and consistent as possible. Of course I'll go easy on them to start with and even slow down for some fun racing but in the end I want to get my bike performing the best it possibly can and I can also pass those tips onto the newer guys. Most of the people I know that may be keen can already drive RC buggies and trucks very well and may not take that long to get quick hopefully. I looked at the position the wires can exit for the shorty packs and they actually come out under the ESC its that short so I'm just going to drill two holes in the side to push the wires through and cut the top off the dummy engine on that side. The balance plug doesn't have to be hooked up during use and I can still use it once the battery is out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:17 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,816 Posts
Race face
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:42 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I rigged up some plugs that way too and snipped the balance cable as this cable stays on bike. I have another cable with balance plug only for charging. I keep my standard 2s batts as low as possible but its not much so I got maybe a half inch out of it. I moved the esc down to bottom of radiator protector, but I still had to drill 2 access holes to get the plugs in. Maybe I wasnt aggressive enough with the plugs, but even with the short posts it wasnt enough to allow batt to slide in. Definately would get the shorty 4000mah packs if I started racing though. Wonder how much runtime a ~4000 pack gives.

Probably what I would do is just grind into the pack where the females are at and solder hardwire out wire going out the top of the case with favorite connector. Done.
Wonder how much runtime a ~4000 pack gives.

I'm betting you'll get 15 minutes unless you're running in sand. Mine would run 18+ minutes on carpet on my mini track in the basement.

PS Thanks for the bearing receipt John!
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Last edited by TopDave; Feb 15, 2013 at 06:49 PM.