HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:40 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b View Post
The metal on ceramics tends to be stainless and I have only used them on the flywheel not the road wheels. On the road wheels I have used SS 2rs bearings and fitted them with flowable silicone sealant including the cable entry. I keep upgrading bits I fitted a high torque HV brake servo today and now had to find an alterative to the cable outer as it was collapsing and concertinaring .
Understood and hopefully any impact will be taken by the two outer bearings .
i presume the outer bearings were standard steel ball with either metal shields or rubber seals .
I looked at ceramic but lost interest after the impact possibility and also was unable to find a pricing for the 21 x 12 x 5 mm .Plenty for skate boards and cycle gears so would be interested to know where you sourced and pricing .
Also interested regarding the make and torque of your replacement brake servo .
Ive got a brake kit with no servo to fit to another Venom I'm rebuilding from a real mess
All the ones I have seen so far to fit into the space available have been less than 3kg torque
Regarding the outer I found that normal antenna tubing did the trick and use PTFE coated stainless fishing trace as the inner .
Slip one of the small brass crimp ferrules over the trace where it is fixed by the grub screw to avoid it cutting into the trace and also round off the sharp points from the end of the screw
I see location is Norfolk where I have friends in the Walcott area just down from the Bacton gas terminal
Nice open beaches there with virtually no dog walkers etc so when visiting nice for playing with the bike undistubed

Cheers Jim
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:58 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimob23 View Post
Understood and hopefully any impact will be taken by the two outer bearings .........

Cheers Jim
The vertical load on the gyro bearing is isolated from the outer axle bearings so the outer bearings can not take any of the vertical load on the gyro.

I have ceramics on the gyro only. We will see if they hold out. I balanced the flywheel but it is still noisier than I think it should be, even with the top-shelf bearings. I believe it is the slop in the races.
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:25 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,275 Posts
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3208578544...84.m1439.l2649

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=29348

I have taken the red wire directly to the battery positive on the esc.
the bearing on the road wheels are stainless steel rubber sealed.
Gaz-b is offline Find More Posts by Gaz-b
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:27 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,754 Posts
Hope Chris Nicastro doesnt mind me quoting him from the rc dirt bike action facebook page, but it was regarding balancing the flywheel and a comment I made about the noisey bearings:

Quote:
Stay away from ceramic bearings in this application. A higher tolerance or tighter bearing will help but if the flywheel pockets are made poorly it wont help. You will ruin the bearings eventually.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:00 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,590 Posts
I use std bearings cleaned and lubed with a good quality tacky bearing lube. I've replaced my originals and am on my second set in my two well used bikes and in my good one have originals. Those two bikes have had countless hours put on them in the last 5 months or so. At $14 for 4 bearings I know which way I'm going. They run much more quietly when cleaned and lubed and last fine. I've never seized one I just replace them when they get too sloppy.
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Tyre Thoughts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:26 PM
Puerto Rico, Guayama, Guayama
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Hi,

I know some are using car antenna tube for the brake cable outer tube but the ones I find are too stiff for the job, and will interfere with the steering. Is there a softer one to use?

David
davehour is offline Find More Posts by davehour
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:37 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehour View Post
Hi,

I know some are using car antenna tube for the brake cable outer tube but the ones I find are too stiff for the job, and will interfere with the steering. Is there a softer one to use?

David
Du-Bro micro pushrod tubes might be good..... In fact, you might be able to use the actual micro pushrod wire for the brake instead of the cable.
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:09 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,754 Posts
Newbee question on bearings, I was looking around and some say they are "6801-2rs" and some are "6801-2TS" Bearings. Whats the difference?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:21 PM
Puerto Rico, Guayama, Guayama
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Du-Bro micro pushrod tubes might be good..... In fact, you might be able to use the actual micro pushrod wire for the brake instead of the cable.
Hmm, looks very interesting. Thanks for the advice.

David
davehour is offline Find More Posts by davehour
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:34 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Newbee question on bearings, I was looking around and some say they are "6801-2rs" and some are "6801-2TS" Bearings. Whats the difference?
RS Rubber seals. TS Teflon seals. Teflon I would assume can cope with higher temps and is probably food safe.
Gaz-b is offline Find More Posts by Gaz-b
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:54 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,754 Posts
Well I've been talking to some nice guys over at RCLargeScale.com and then Ed from FastEddyBearings was like, hey I'll make a bearing kit for the bike. So as Im asking about bearings here, today of all days, I see this pop up...
http://www.fasteddybearings.com/atom...e-bearing-kit/
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Well I've been talking to some nice guys over at RCLargeScale.com and then Ed from FastEddyBearings was like, hey I'll make a bearing kit for the bike. So as Im asking about bearings here, today of all days, I see this pop up...
Who knows a sample pack may be winging its way to you right now
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:19 PM
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
I use std bearings cleaned and lubed with a good quality tacky bearing lube. I've replaced my originals and am on my second set in my two well used bikes and in my good one have originals. Those two bikes have had countless hours put on them in the last 5 months or so. At $14 for 4 bearings I know which way I'm going. They run much more quietly when cleaned and lubed and last fine. I've never seized one I just replace them when they get too sloppy.
Agree. 100%
Even if they do seize the clearances are not that close to lock anything up so will just make a ghastly noise
Not like you are doing the 1/4 mile on full boost and max nitro
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:56 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,590 Posts
Quote:
That is great value John. Good find.
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Tyre Thoughts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:56 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
I dont mind,

The bearings are either going to work or fail. They dont last very long inbetween. At around 11K RPM and 9lbs of force or more in an instant ceramic bearings will not last long. I have had low grade steel bearings shatter so spend some money on good bearings but dont go nuts. Again bearings are not noisy its the pockets in the flywheel and balance of the wheel. When bearings are noisy its because they are very worn out and nearly broken. If you try a CA bushing trick or teflon tape you can tighten up the pocket tolerance temporarily.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro