HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:17 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehour View Post
Hi guys,

Yesterday, I spent some hours changing the oil mixture in order to have a softer rebound. First, I did try AE 80 (1,000 CST) alone with the 1.3 pistons and it went too soft. Then I started mixing AE 80 with the Ofna 5,000 (unknown CST) and had a hard time getting what I wanted; sometimes ending too soft and sometimes ending too hard. Well, I ended fair I believe but will wait for the 1.2 pistons so no more mixing for now. In addition, I'll probably order a bottle of AE 2,000 & 3,000 CST Diff oil to have on hand for future experiments so I can know real CST numbers of mixtures. These oils will also help in a pinch letting me going thicker when the shock start to get leaky.

Now, I have a question about chain lubrication. How the chain lubrication should be in this kind of dirt bikes knowing we will have them in dirty conditions many times?
When should I remove the chain to clean it and lube it?

Thanks.

David
Yea its hard really mixing different amounts of oils and then when you do find the sweet spot you find it hard to replicate. I use the same chain lube I use on my big dirt bike which is a wax spray on type called Bellray Super Clean Chain Lube. There are other brands you could use but make sure it says for dirt bikes and will not attract dirt. I just lube mine every 5 to 10 runs or when i remember and the lube works sort of like a o ring chain by not allowing the grime to get into the chain. I never wash mine and run in shocking dust. If i washed it I'd have to do it every run lol. Then it would wash out the sealing wax also. so then I'd be lubing every run also haha. The chain looks dirty but inside its clean and smooth. Chain life is greatly extended using the correct lube.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Tyre Thoughts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:24 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Hey Chris,

That place definitely look like real moto shop, LOL.
Lol, plenty to keep me busy. By the way the local RC club president and his son came over today after I rang him and told him about these bikes. He was keen to get racing going with the VMX but this was almost an impossibility. Rod had a go on the track and started pulling a few half decent medium paced laps. His son had a go as well on the road and gravel and had a ball drifting. They had about three or four batteries between them. Although a little heavy handed to start with they both smoothed out well. They have gone home to put an order in today. They are already talking of a backyard track and tomorrow he's going to the local track to do some changes and widening. Now he has the bikes in mind he knows what they need and is keen to accommodate them. We will start with a semi oval around the outside of the track and he's going to put a jump or two in for us. How cool is that. We can think of at least 20 people that may be keen. If we could even get half of them and run two heats of five each I think it would be great. He's going to look at where we can cut in and use some of the main track that's not too technical also in time. Hopefully in a few months we will have some good racing happening.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:25 AM
Puerto Rico, Guayama, Guayama
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Lol, plenty to keep me busy. By the way the local RC club president and his son came over today after I rang him and told him about these bikes. He was keen to get racing going with the VMX but this was almost an impossibility. Rod had a go on the track and started pulling a few half decent medium paced laps. His son had a go as well on the road and gravel and had a ball drifting. They had about three or four batteries between them. Although a little heavy handed to start with they both smoothed out well. They have gone home to put an order in today. They are already talking of a backyard track and tomorrow he's going to the local track to do some changes and widening. Now he has the bikes in mind he knows what they need and is keen to accommodate them. We will start with a semi oval around the outside of the track and he's going to put a jump or two in for us. How cool is that. We can think of at least 20 people that may be keen. If we could even get half of them and run two heats of five each I think it would be great. He's going to look at where we can cut in and use some of the main track that's not too technical also in time. Hopefully in a few months we will have some good racing happening.
That's amazing Chris. I can imagine how nice will be having a race with more bikes in a track like that. I have some friends that I know will get the bike as soon as they see it.

BTW, how many bikes and batteries do you have?

What brand of hard case batteries are ok to use?

I hope I can get that chain lube or something equivalent. The street I run on is somewhat dusty, specially in the intersections. The street is like a letter "T".

David
davehour is offline Find More Posts by davehour
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:11 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,613 Posts
Quote:
That's amazing Chris. I can imagine how nice will be having a race with more bikes in a track like that. I have some friends that I know will get the bike as soon as they see it.

BTW, how many bikes and batteries do you have?

What brand of hard case batteries are ok to use?

I hope I can get that chain lube or something equivalent. The street I run on is somewhat dusty, specially in the intersections. The street is like a letter "T".

David
Can't wait David, very cool. I have another mate who has been slack and hasn't even got his bike going and he's had a e gyro for at least a few months. I talked to him and he sounds like he may even get some motivation to race. That'd be four straight up. I hope your friends buy a bike and start bashing with you.
I have had 9 bikes over time including VMXs. I've got 3 bikes that haven't been used, 3 that get used regularly and I'm doing up another one out of the others. The rest are used as parts. How many batteries, hang on I'll have to count them lol. Ok sit down David haha, 23 batteries lol. ten 5000s, two 5200s, two 5800s, six 6000s and the three 3200s that came with the bikes. You don't want to know how many I've used over time haha.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:51 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,756 Posts
Wow, you really would need one of these if racing gets going "just in case" a bike isnt working you got your spares handy haha...
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:55 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Wow, you really would need one of these if racing gets going "just in case" a bike isnt working you got your spares handy haha...
Lol, could be handy John. Sorry David I forgot in all the battery counting and adding up on my fingers and toes haha. I use a few brands but like the Turnigy ones best then Zippy. I have heard Gens Ace ones are good but find them hard to get here.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:03 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Yea what I do is I have a bike in spot on condition and well maintained etc. This bike I pull out on special occasions haha. It will end up being my race bike. Then I have my paddock home track practice bike which gets the crap flogged out of it and only maintained when broken. The other bike with the big Tenshock I leave for doing insane jumps and stupid things with this way if I do break it it's no real drama I've still got my others.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:44 PM
Iowa City Iowa
Joined Jun 2000
417 Posts
Quote:
Once you get rid of the back wheel you loose the egyro too and this bike doesnt have a low cog so I have my doubts of it working. Not trying to stop you, just some things to consider. I never delt with treads so no comment on them.
Yeah, no.
I know I need the rim and egyro. Just trying to envision how to drive a track with a modified tire or rim. Then build a swing arm with a extension and pulley wheel out back. Front ski would be easy..
GiantScale is offline Find More Posts by GiantScale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:44 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,756 Posts
Well, Im getting another rear shock shaft so I can have 2 big bore shocks with slight differences to see how each react. Oh and a second set of front/back tire/inserts. Thats it so I'll be riding up to the races in this privateer truck
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:58 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Well, Im getting another rear shock shaft so I can have 2 big bore shocks with slight differences to see how each react. Oh and a second set of front/back tire/inserts. Thats it so I'll be riding up to the races in this privateer truck
Lol .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:41 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Can't wait David, very cool. I have another mate who has been slack and hasn't even got his bike going and he's had a e gyro for at least a few months. I talked to him and he sounds like he may even get some motivation to race. That'd be four straight up. I hope your friends buy a bike and start bashing with you.
I have had 9 bikes over time including VMXs. I've got 3 bikes that haven't been used, 3 that get used regularly and I'm doing up another one out of the others. The rest are used as parts. How many batteries, hang on I'll have to count them lol. Ok sit down David haha, 23 batteries lol. ten 5000s, two 5200s, two 5800s, six 6000s and the three 3200s that came with the bikes. You don't want to know how many I've used over time haha.
Chris,

As I expected, LOL. I knew this knowledge had to came from somewhere.... Nice to have that number of bikes and batteries.

David
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:38 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Chris,

As I expected, LOL. I knew this knowledge had to came from somewhere.... Nice to have that number of bikes and batteries.

David
It's an addiction David .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:41 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Hello guys,

Hope all are well.

I've noticed the chain tension varies at different positions while rotating the wheel. The layshaft isn't bent. The rear wheel sprocket wobbles about 0.75mm. It's not perfectly concentric. The front sprocket seem not to wobble but it might not be concentric neither. This explains why the chain tension varies but I want to know if your bikes have the same issue.

I also have noticed the front sprocket has develop radial play on the layshaft. I know the pin/slot design joint of the sprocket and layshaft, plus the fact the sprocket is bronze, will develop such radial play as it's used. How long the front sprocket is lasting in your bikes?

Thanks,

David
Last edited by davehour; Jan 20, 2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:34 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Hello guys,

Hope all are well.

I've noticed the chain tension varies at different positions while rotating the wheel. The layshaft isn't bent. The rear wheel sprocket wobbles about 0.75mm. It's not perfectly concentric. The front sprocket seem not to wobble but it might not be concentric neither. This explains why the chain tension varies but I want to know if your bikes have the same issue.

I also have noticed the front sprocket has develop radial play on the layshaft. I know the pin/slot design joint of the sprocket and layshaft, plus the fact the sprocket is bronze, will develop such radial play as it's used. How long the front sprocket is lasting in your bikes?

Thanks,

David
Hi David, it seems some sprockets are slightly out of round causing this issue. I have just put a front sprocket on my bike that is the cause. I haven't seen a rear one with an issue, only fronts. Some are good some aren't. I just tighten my chain up in the tightest spot and spin the wheel to make sure of no binding. The front sprocket developing slop on the pin has happened to me but I've been able to completely wear out the teeth still with no issues apart from some slop.
If you want to spend some money you could always try the Alleven micro drive.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
If you want to spend some money you could always try the Alleven micro drive.
LOL, no, I'm trying to not spend so much money. That was good, LOL.

The Alleven Microdrive is very good and makes a remarkable difference. I installed it in the two 1/5 Ducati Nitro bikes I had.

David