SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:09 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehour View Post
Great Chris. I'll then get the 25C one.

BTW, do you run the batteries down to cutoff, or stop at the 20% mark which is about 3.75V per cell?

Are the batteries with connectors fine for offroad use? I mean the ones that have their wires connected to the case by means of connectors.

Thanks you very much,

David
I try to stop my run as soon as I feel the power level drop and before the cutout. You can feel the gyro start to lose balance also so I just stop there. Not much point going right to the cutoff the way I drive lol. I use some batteries with connectors at the case. As long as you have the newer style chassis with the elongated hole for battery wires and you use a spacer lifting the battery they fit. Ideally I find the others with the wires already connected less hassle and they can sit lower in the battery box.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RV Track Pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:36 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Finally some rain overnight made the track prime today. Some more rain made it a little slippery in spots but great in others. Nothing flash just some of my fun.
http://youtu.be/MX_Xph2kLdA
http://youtu.be/Ta5-2SEk0_k
http://youtu.be/HR19n-PljAI
http://youtu.be/LX2LmxDC7Js
Cool you finally got some water in that dust bowl! You've all but convinced me to run silver on the rims now, as its nice to have a little more visual on where the wheels are down the way. Just need some close-up slow motion of that moist berm after you hit it with the rake with those nicely painted rims.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:49 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehour View Post
Guys,

I have a couple of questions about the hard case batteries. I've used mostly non cased Lipo batteries for 600 size helis.

Do you run the batteries down to cutoff, or stop at the 20% mark which is about 3.75V per cell?

Are the batteries with connectors fine for offroad use? I mean the ones that have their wires connected to the case by means of connectors.

I'm buying a 5000mAh battery. Is the Venom 5000 20C ok, or should I go with the 25C?

David
Hey dude, I have a low voltage alarm like this one here.

I connect it to the balance plug and its velcroed to the fuel tank/in Brian's lap.

It's set to 3.5v as its adjustable with a little simple button. I use them on any of my planes and quadcopters and I can hear them from close to 300m away!!!! Soon as I hear it, I bring the bike in. You can also get them from hobby king.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:57 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
According to the documents that came with the bike, the gyro ESC has a lipo low voltage cutoff but I forgot what the voltage is set to cut off at. I just ride until the gyro stops and the bike falls over.
wannabe is online now Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:08 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Hey dude, I have a low voltage alarm like this one here.

I connect it to the balance plug and its velcroed to the fuel tank/in Brian's lap.

It's set to 3.5v as its adjustable with a little simple button. I use them on any of my planes and quadcopters and I can hear them from close to 300m away!!!! Soon as I hear it, I bring the bike in. You can also get them from hobby king.
That's a good idea, save you a walk if the bike runs out across the field from you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Cool you finally got some water in that dust bowl! You've all but convinced me to run silver on the rims now, as its nice to have a little more visual on where the wheels are down the way. Just need some close-up slow motion of that moist berm after you hit it with the rake with those nicely painted rims.
Finally John , the sun is out again today though bummer, the track is drying quickly. Watching TJs bike convinced me as it just looks so much better IMO. When I'm driving any RC vehicle I like to focus on the wheels, with buggies and trucks and the flouro yellow or white wheels make it easy but this with black made it harder. Now I can really see the wheels and suspension action clearer. It also looks more realistic i think. I thought about some slow mos but just enjoyed the track and got some vid with no editing needed, sorry mate.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:17 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,802 Posts
FYI - The radio has both a count down and count up timer. It doesnt beep when time is up which is stupid (if I remember this feature right), but once you know about how long a battery runs, just check the radio once in a while.

No worries CH, just have fun. I know you'll get slow motion in time. Enjoy.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:24 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Quote:
You can thank Wise also John as I wasn't going to do any video and he convinced me to do some lol .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:35 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Good info thanks Chris. Say, can I ask you a random question only you might know for the rear shock spring...I know nothing about springs, but do you have any info on its rating or strength so if we want to look at other brand springs we are not shopping in the dark? Glad you keep in touch around here. Hope your staying warm out there!
John not being smart but why do you think you even need to look at a different spring when you haven't played with the std one really. I'm not sure about TJ but his vids show the bike working well with the stock spring so I presume he's happy with it. I've tried stronger springs but that isn't what the bike needs IMO. It just needs the shock sorted the spring rate is fine moved two holes stiffer from std. I've still got one more position to go but prefer the one second from the rear. By moving the shock along the top holes you can effectively tune that spring to five different rates. This will change the shock action also so you'll have to compensate if moving. Even on hard cornering on grass I find this spring holds the rear up fine through the corners. By fitting a stronger spring you then need stiffer oil to control its energy. I can tell you the only place that may work is smooth grippy surfaces. As my bike doesn't see that stuff I don't bother.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:57 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,802 Posts
Worry not my friend. You've proven its a great setup. I saw gurumods in the setup thread was shopping around, so that got me thinking if at least we had some details on the spring it would be a nice jumping point for those going out shopping. Heck Ive been interested in the rear shock since day 1 of vmx, but never got around to playing with it, plus theres other aspects of shocks that changes behavior too, like progressive springs or pistons with coned shape holes. Im always thinking about these things.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:21 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Worry not my friend. You've proven its a great setup. I saw gurumods in the setup thread was shopping around, so that got me thinking if at least we had some details on the spring it would be a nice jumping point for those going out shopping. Heck Ive been interested in the rear shock since day 1 of vmx, but never got around to playing with it, plus theres other aspects of shocks that changes behavior too, like progressive springs or pistons with coned shape holes. Im always thinking about these things.
No worries John, just trying to save you some time and money that I believe isn't really needed for track work. I can tell you I've done quite some playing and am quite happy with the way my bike handles. It may be nice to play with the sorts of things you are talking about but in my experience I've found this unnecessary for RC vehicles to get them to work well. The technology of pistons with different rate rebound to compression and variable spring rates have been around since I was a boy almost and I've never seen anyone really improve over a stock type piston and spring especially if you aren't too familiar with suspension tuning. I stick to the KISS method lol. I find you can get lost sometimes with too many options. Maybe if you really know what you are doing you could find an improvement or just get lucky.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:46 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
On my first couple of runs the rear seemed just tiny bit too soft. When I had the swingarm off for painting I increased the pre-load on the stock spring by five full turns, but left it in the stock holes. Not a huge difference but it seems perfect for the field where we have been running these. I need to get some video.... These bikes ride pretty good straight out of the box.
wannabe is online now Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:26 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
On my first couple of runs the rear seemed just tiny bit too soft. When I had the swingarm off for painting I increased the pre-load on the stock spring by five full turns, but left it in the stock holes. Not a huge difference but it seems perfect for the field where we have been running these. I need to get some video.... These bikes ride pretty good straight out of the box.
wannabbe if you think the rear is a bit soft its because you are using the std shock no doubt. It has no dampening really. I'm talking about when using a big bore shock. The std shock is pathetic over any sort of bumps really when pushing the bike on a track. The std shock blows through and bottoms off the tiniest jumps and bumps. Also doesn't use full travel. On a smooth flat grassy field the std shock will probably seem ok. I agree they ride pretty good out of the box but once modded a little turn into real performers.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:14 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
I have to say thanks to Chris (chktm) & all his R&D work & set up tips my bike has handled great from day one there is nothing i feel i need to change on the bike i just need to sack Vinnie.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Last edited by Throttlejunkie; Jan 17, 2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:30 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
I have to say thanks to Chris & all his R&D work & set up tips my bike has handled great from day one there is nothing i feel i need to change on the bike i just need to sack Vinnie.
Lol, thanks Chris. Yea definitely give Vinnie the boot haha .
RCG Plus Member