HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:14 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2008
654 Posts
Discussion
1/760 USS Enterprise (2 servo powered)

Hi guys, I've just started a project to convert a Revell USS Enterprise to two channel RC. The model is 48cm in length and the hull displaces approximately 250ml of water up to a reasonable waterline. This doesn't leave me much weight to use on components in addition to the weight of the superstructure :/
Does anybody think this will work if I use two 9g servos modified to continous rotation using differential steering?
Pictures to come
James
-james- is offline Find More Posts by -james-
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:09 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
934 Posts
With a long narrow hull like that, you may be better off trying a single drive function and a steering servo.
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:07 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2008
654 Posts
Will just a single servo driving the boat suffice? I have got to the stage of the hull being watertight and started to lighten the ridiculously heavy top deck
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:15 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
it will if the rudder is not far behind the prop, that way the prop "blows over" the rudder and gives more control
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:16 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2008
654 Posts
Ah yeah, same as prop wash with aircraft (i'm usually an aircraft guy :P )
How would you recommend powering this,I was thinking 4 AAA cells?
What angle do I need the prop shaft to be relative to the waterline too?
Thanks
James
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:33 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
depending on your receiver, you could get away with a single lipo cell. but if the receiver needs a higher voltage, you may need to go to 5 nimh cells. just be sure if you use a servo marked as single cell, you reduce the voltage with a diode on the positive lead of the servo.
why dont you list exactly what gear your thinking of using on it so we can help ya plan out what else you'll need
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:08 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2008
654 Posts
Thanks, I was thinking of using two 9g servos (either differential steering or one to power, one to steer), a 4ch 35mhz rx I have lying about, 4 AAA cells and that's about it really
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:36 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
you could probably go either way, the differential steering will make for tighter turns, but isn't as scale. its also less complicated but it might be harder to get both servo drivers to be quiet at the same time because of the mixing. i'd recommend leaving the potentiometers on the drivers for a manual sub trim.

for a battery, you could likely get away with using a single lipo cell, most cheap 9g servos work fine at those voltages, and from what i have seen, most older fm receivers do as well.

using a lighter battery lets you add keel weight where needed to help make it stay upright
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:25 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2008
654 Posts
Hey guys, been a while since I posted on this thread, just to let you know I have continued a bit further with it today. I opted for a single servo driving it and a servo operating a rudder via pull-pull wires running the length of the hull in order to distribute weight more evenly.
Is it recommended to add some sort of mass below the standard hull bottom, as is seen on yachts etc in order to provide more stability?
Pictures to come
James
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:02 AM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
That is the usual fashion as converted aircraft carriers tend to be more top heavy. You could experiment with taping a few coins to the bottom to promote stability and then create some kind of keel.

This thread is useless without pics...
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member