HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2001, 01:36 PM
Homer Glen, Illinois, United States
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
Tiger Moth Questions

Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me? I tried my Tiger Moth last night and it flew very well except for the hard landing into a gymnasium wall which destroyed my cowl. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement. My local hobby shop doesn't have any and they checked with Horizon and they are out of them also. I found that when I hit the wall the battery pack went forward and down, punching through the cowl.
My next question is I bought a heat sink for the motor. What purpose does the heat sink past serve. I put it on dry and it seems OK. Do I need the paste?
Does anyone have any info on the new GWS Stearman. I am chomping at the bit for one. Is it going to happen, when, and how much?
Thanks to all.
Pete
T6Junkie is offline Find More Posts by T6Junkie
Last edited by T6Junkie; Nov 09, 2001 at 01:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2001, 04:48 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Pete, Welcome to EZone! As far as I know Horizon is the only source for parts like a cowl. Unfortunately due to Typhoon Nari all GWS products are in short supply for now. According to rumor the shipments hopefully will resume by the end of the month.

I glued and used tape on the inside of my cowl to hold it together, but if it's beyond hope you could always make one.
Be sure to use enough cooling intake.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

It's good that the battery ejected, reduces damage to everything else.

You should use the paste with the heatsink. If it doesn't have perfect contact it won't be effective without paste.

For the latest on the GWS Stearman check out this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1
BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Nov 09, 2001, 06:23 PM
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
Hi Basketcase,
Thanks for your quick response to my questions. Unfortunately there isn't enough left to my cowl to even tape together. It literally exploded. I can still fly without it and get a lot more cooling to the motor. I'll just have to wait till they are available again. I just came back from Radio Shack and got the Heat Sink Grease so I will put it on the motor. I was amazed at how well it flies. It turns just like it has ailerons. I was very impressed. I have been flying giant scale models for over 20 years now and this is a real hoot. I made the mistake of flying my TM in a school gym that was very small. In Illinois it has gotten very cold and windy. All I could do was fly around in circles. When I landed the tires came off and I slid sideways into the wall. Oh well! I made the opening in the bottom a little larger to fit a 7.2V 280MA battery pack. What keeps the pack in the plane besides friction. Should I put a small piece of wood across the bottom so it won't come out. I noticed in your picture that you don't have anything on yours. Thanks again.
Pete
Old Nov 09, 2001, 07:06 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear your cowl is past hope but it's very easy to make one from balsa. I sorta like the fake Jenny look of mine.

The thermal paste should help. If you only use 7.2v batteries you shouldn't have any motor problems. They mostly seem to burn up at 9.6v. Speaking of burning up motors you might want to risk it by trying a 280 or 300 mah 7 cell pack for more power, the moth really likes it. The 7 cell 280's are 2.05 oz and the 300's are 1.83. I use the 300's and get about 17 or 18 minutes per pack.

Flying indoors sounds like a real challenge. Like to try it sometime. We have too many days when it's too windy to fly.

If your battery broke out the front of the compartment don't replace it, it lets much more air through for cooling when opened up. I cut mine out.

I'm using velcro to hold the batteries in. Had to use odorless CA to get it to stick to the foam, the sticky back kind sticks to the batteries okay.

BC
Old Nov 09, 2001, 10:51 PM
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
Thanks Basketcase,
I like the idea of using velcro to hold the battery in place. I might have to hog out some more foam to get it in, but I can see it working. Have you heard anything from GWS as to when the Stearman will be out. The other postings don't say too much if it will really happen. My Lawyer has a real one and we fly in it quite often. It would be great to have a small model of it. I did the big Balsa USA Stearman and that is a real chore just to put it together.
Old Nov 09, 2001, 11:23 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
You are very lucky to get frequent rides in a Stearman.

The only person that knows about the Stearman at this point is Mr. Houng-wen Lin, CEO of GWS. He recently asked for opinions about the size that he should make it so it looks like he has it on the drawing board. No telling for actual time. Before it gets here he has announced the A-10 very soon, a Zero hopefully by years end and after that a P-51.

I will definitely be buying a GWS PT-17 as soon as they are available.
In my case I could not wait (and figure I'll need a new one by then anyway) so bought a Stearman from Hobby Lobby. Still in the process of putting it together but it looks like a good kit.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/stearman.htm

You can see the SLOW progress I'm making with mine at:
http://basketcase49.tripod.com/eflightbc/index.html
I'll be updating the pics as I go.
Old Nov 10, 2001, 09:55 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
If instead of using the recommended screws to mount the plastic cowl to the front of the fuse you use the modification of two dowels through the front of the fuse and through holes in the cowl, this opens up another option for holding the battery in place. Simply criss-cross a pair of rubber bands from the front lower wing mount dowl to the lower cowl mount dowl on the opposite side to make a rubber band "X" across the bottom of the battery compartment opening.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Nov 11, 2001, 02:15 AM
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
TM Problems

Dave,
Thanks for your idea about mounting the cowl. That wasn't the cause to my problem. Everything happened so fast. When I came in for a landing my tires came off the rims and it slid into the gymnasium wall. Rubber bands wouldn't have helped me. The battery went forward and took out the lower portion of the cowl and up to the prop opening. Basketcase gave me the idea on how to fix the cowl. There were now 17 pieces to the cowl. Amazingly, I put the cowl back together tonight. I put masking tape on the inside and then ca'd the parts back together. After that I put a lite coat of squadron green putty over the cracks from the outside and sanded it smooth. Tomorrow I'll put a lite coat of paint on it and it should look as good as new, I hope, without adding too much weight. I would have bought a new cowl but there are none to be found. I still have to straighten my prop shaft. It has a very slight bend in it at the base of the threads. I'll use a dial indicator to make sure it is straight. Wow, those cinder block walls are hard.
A little food for thought for those who have the wheels on the TM that come with the kit. The directions say to glue the tires on with CA. The problem is that CA is so brittle that they will pop off from just the wheels flexing. I have now solved that problem by glueing them on with Walthers GOO. This is a contact glue in a tube and is sold in most hobby shops in the model train section. It is an excellent adhesive for this purpose. The TM is my second E plane. I started with a Fundango. I think GP took all the Fun out of the Dango. The TM is a lot more fun. I still would like to know when we will be able to see the GWS Stearman.
Pete
Old Nov 11, 2001, 02:29 PM
pickle lake ontario canada
Joined Sep 2000
213 Posts
Yeah, those tyres sort of bite, don't they? I haven't even flown my moth yet, and the tyres seem to sproing off all by themselves while it sits on the floor in my basement. I found that on the litestick, the tyres are identical to the gaskets that seal a fuel pump filter I use at work, so I have a good supply of replacements. Maybe a gasket kit from a car parts store would supply replacements for the moth.

Ever since I got the litestick, I haven't flown my two "real" planes, a Goldberg electra and a HU16 albatross. I look at them sitting there and feel sorry for them once in a while but the drive to wherever there's room to fly the glider and the time it takes to rig up a chase-boat for the hu-16 puts out the fire and I grab the stick instead. The moth will be cool too. Finally, R/C for the lazy man!!
keithr is offline Find More Posts by keithr
Old Nov 11, 2001, 02:45 PM
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
TM Questions

Keith,
You are so right. It is now a lazy mans hobby. I've been doing this for 52 years now. I started in free flight. Moved up to control line and then into r/c. I was flying r/c when they still had reeds. Ever hear of them? I now fly mostly giant scale and build for others full time. Finally the hobby is supporting me. These little e-planes are a lot of fun. As I said I started with a "Dango" and then got a TM. For the money it seems to be the best you can get. If GWS doesn't come out soon with the Stearman, I'm going to get another TM. I have learned a great deal from all the great people here on e-zone and I am thoroughly enjoying this. Even though this is not electric I thought I would enclose a picture of a P-51 I just finished for myself.
Pete
Old Nov 11, 2001, 05:02 PM
Confirmed Adict
Malahat, BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
284 Posts
Excuse me while I wipe the saliva from my monitor, keyboard, mouse and desk.

And by that I mean: Nice P-51
Cadet is offline Find More Posts by Cadet
Old Nov 11, 2001, 06:33 PM
pickle lake ontario canada
Joined Sep 2000
213 Posts
Wow that's nice! I started in freeflight too. In fact that's how I learned about electric power. I used to build the little two foot span rubber powered models like the sig monocoupe and the guillow's F-24 fairchild and stick the little Hi-Line mini-6 motors in them. The only trouble is, I live in the bush and there aren't any fields here. I can fly the electra on the property of an abandoned copper mine about 10 miles north of town, or wait for the lake to freeze and fly there. There is some charm in pelting across a frozen lake after a well-built free flight model, but the elation wears off during the 10 minute frozen walk back to the car! Try hand-launching a balsa and tissue model wearing moosehide gauntlets and a down parka! I miss standing in a clover field on a sunny calm day and watching my little freeflight creations circle around way up high. Plus, I'm busy building my own sailboat so I appreciate the convenience of the little foam-mobiles. I feel like I've "paid my dues" on the wood models and can enjoy the foam ones guilt-free.
By the way, I have heard of the reed radios and the escapements and whatnot from years gone by, but I'm a little foggy on how it all worked.
keithr is offline Find More Posts by keithr
Old Nov 11, 2001, 07:13 PM
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
TM Questions

Keithr,
I'm glad the days of the reeds are gone. You held a TX that weighed about 8 pounds and there were no sticks to move. You just pushed buttons. I still have several that work but 67 1/2 volt dry cells are no longer available.
Pete
Old Nov 11, 2001, 08:30 PM
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
37 Posts
Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you in on where I got my replacement cowl (as well as a new set of wings - the old ones are getting heavy from all the epoxy on 'em used to put 'em back together!). I just got them last week, so there is a good chance they'll still have some:
http://www.greathobbies.com/frame_index.html

It's a place called Great Hobbies located in Prince Edward Island (a delightful small island province off Canada's east coast). You may find prices quite favourable since our dollar is in a freefall compared to the US greenback.

Cheers!
icewindblue is offline Find More Posts by icewindblue
Old Nov 11, 2001, 10:10 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Hi icewindblue,

Great info. Thanks a lot!

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47