HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:31 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
953 Posts
Question
How Does This Y6 Setup Sound?

I would appreciate any input about the effectiveness of this setup with respect to flight time, reliability, stability, and overall performance:

RC Carbon Y6 (650 mm)
6x Avroto 2814 11s
APC 11x4.7 all around
Naza w/ GPS
2x 4s 3300 mAh
6x RC Timer (aka DYS) SimonK flashed ESCs
AV130 Gimball w/ Go Pro
I may add FPV gear later

My main concerns are:
1) compatibility of the FC, motors, and ESCs
2) All up weight and flight time

Thank you,
AEM
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI Phantom on 4s with WKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:44 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,951 Posts
If you are concern about compatibility of the Naza and the speed controllers why don't you use the DJI 30 amps speed controllers.

If you want to use the DYS I would recommend going to the 40 amps DYS with simonk firmware. They should work with the Naza.

If you keep your flight time between 6 and 8 minutes you should be just fine. It should be a fairly decent setup.

Your AUW will depends on the weight of the AV130.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:06 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
If you are concern about compatibility of the Naza and the speed controllers why don't you use the DJI 30 amps speed controllers.

If you want to use the DYS I would recommend going to the 40 amps DYS with simonk firmware. They should work with the Naza.

If you keep your flight time between 6 and 8 minutes you should be just fine. It should be a fairly decent setup.

Your AUW will depends on the weight of the AV130.
I don't want to use the DJI ESCs b/c I prefer to order ESCs that are pre-flashed, and I can find no DJI ESCs that are sold this way.

If the 40 A DYSs work with the Naza, I assume that the 30 A ones will be compatible as well.

I will have landing gear that is relatively light weight b/c it will be implemented into the AV 130. Moreover, the AV130 will not have the 360 add-on. Lastly, the camera will be a Go-Pro, probably without the plastic case.

40 A ESCs versus 30 A ESCs for this setup; that is still of concern. Another individual used the same setup (albeit, without AV130/camera, slightly smaller batteries, but slightly heavier WK-M) and used 25 A Turnigy ESCs. Two other individuals who flew a similar frame, same motors, props, and voltage lipos recorded max amp readings of between 22 A and 23. I hear that the SimonK flashed RC Timer ESCs tend to run cooler than non-flashed ones; so, I'm hoping that I'll be okay. Any more input about the ESCs would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I was hoping to get a bit longer flight time when loaded up with the Go Pro. I understand that reducing lipo weight by reducing lipo capacity would work both for and against me in terms of flight time; I figured 4s 6600 mAh might be around the sweet spot (and I already have a brand new 3300 4s waiting to be matched). Any more estimations about this would be appreciated.

AEM
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI Phantom on 4s with WKM