HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Nov 2004
2,054 Posts
"Lowers"

My newest and favorite training slope! Portuguese Bend has an upper slope which I’ve been flying, and a lower slope down below not flown yet. Since flying PB these last 2 weeks “Lowers” has been glaring at me each day. I held off because the landing did not look good at all. This week, while in my adventurous mode, I decided to try and figure out a landing (very tricky) down at the lower slope….hence the name “Lowers”!

This slope is about 60 feet high and the wind corners. Not vertical but quite sleep. Even though it corners my model hardly loses any speed on the cornering side, this is not normal. I believe it is because of the terrain “behind” the slope itself. The hills behind the slope are higher than the slope itself. There does not seem to be a major rotor behind Lowers. I “think” the air launches off the “Lowers” slope and reconnects up on the next hill/slope behind it about 60 yards away. There is a big hole between Lowers and the hill behind it. I “think” because of this air separation between the hole and the sheer layer the lift seems stronger than most slopes this size I have been on. It’s not as narrow of a lift band as normal for a slope this size…..it’s bigger. It’s kind of magical really.

Now, what does this tell you about the landing? Well, because the air launches to the next hill higher behind it, this mean there is “NO” air blowing below that sheer layer of air. The good part about that is no rotor…. At least not that I have experienced at this time, (note to self, this could change with higher velocity or wind direction), but so far no rotor below the sheer layer. The bad part….. No head wind to slow down the model before landing. Well… there is about 5 feet of tall, dry, dead, brittle grass. So, I land in that! Yah! But it slows down the model with ease never allowing the model to even come close to the ground below. Yahoo! Yes because there is no head wind I come in like, “In coming!” As long as the dry grass is there I have a safe landing. Really safe if done properly. The hardest part is that you’re basically landing in a hole below the sheer layer. So the navigation/depth perception between the model and the hill/bushes behind are the most difficult part of the landing. So far so good! (Another note to self, I have not been there blowing 20+, be careful!)

Dave Cortina flew there with me yesterday and had perfect success! Tomorrow WD will join me. As always all are welcome to join the fun!

The pix attached DOES NOT do the slope justice…. In the pix it looks like no big deal. When you fly it you will understand.

Looking forward!

Kyle
Kyle Paulson is online now Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:17 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,849 Posts
It was smooth! KP and I had a bunch of fun flying this slope. It will be curious to see how much we use it, and if the club members learn to appreciate it. Its a bit of a walk, but well worth the trip. Flying as many different venues is quite fun, and keeps the thumb lubed up!

WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:33 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,806 Posts
I just bought some tickets, How about everyone else? I guess Bill and I are going to split all the prizes. Come on guys help out the team and enter to win some nice stuff.

What am I doing, I could win most of the prizes. Never mind don't read this post. None of you want to win any of this stuff. Bill and I will save you all!!!!

Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:52 PM
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
1,520 Posts
Bob,

Thank you very very much for your support of the US Team. We appreciate it tremendously, we are looking forward to a successful worlds!

Regards,

Brandon
Team USA F3F
Brandon is offline Find More Posts by Brandon
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:58 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,147 Posts
Wooohooo!!!

I just pitched in $200 buckaroos guys!!!

Let's go Team USA! You guys are workin hard to get yourselves ready. Wish I could be there to see it...

Next time, watch out...I'm gonna make a run to be on the team with you!

t
ttraver is online now Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined Feb 2004
1,520 Posts
Tim,

Thanks dooood!!

That is really awesome of you, Team USA will not disappoint!

Thanks again Tim! VERY much appreciated!

B
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Feb 2004
1,520 Posts
I will be adding more prizes as we go.....

just waiting for some further details!

Thanks for your support guys!

B
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Aug 2004
1,849 Posts
BIg thanks to Tim and Bob for the support. Bob is rolling with me to the Grass Mtn 2 day, along with Bill DelHagen, so I get to thank them personally, and we will have some fun as well...
WD
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2,054 Posts
Tim you are awesome dude! Thank you! Wow!

BTW.... If you keep improving the way you have you will make the team!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttraver View Post
I just pitched in $200 buckaroos guys!!!

Let's go Team USA! You guys are workin hard to get yourselves ready. Wish I could be there to see it...

Next time, watch out...I'm gonna make a run to be on the team with you!

t
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2,054 Posts
May good luck come your way Bob! Thanks for hurting your odds by encouraging others to buy tickets. You surely are a true supporter.

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday48 View Post
I just bought some tickets, How about everyone else? I guess Bill and I are going to split all the prizes. Come on guys help out the team and enter to win some nice stuff.

What am I doing, I could win most of the prizes. Never mind don't read this post. None of you want to win any of this stuff. Bill and I will save you all!!!!

Bob
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:49 AM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2010
1,798 Posts
F3F Racing Jerseys

Kyle delivered some F3F Racing Jerseys to me for the following NorCal Pilots that have supported the F3F Team through their jersey purchases:

1. Darrell Zaballos

2. Steve Elias

3. Mart Falarski

4. Scott Woodward and myself.

To quote Target, I will be the "sherpa" for these jerseys.

Our F3F Team needs more funding. Let's show them some more support.

Easy peasy on the web site: (some good reading also)

http://www.teamusaf3f.com/?p=1

http://www.teamusaf3f.com/?page_id=7
David Olson is online now Find More Posts by David Olson
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Nov 2004
2,054 Posts
Thank you David Olson!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Aug 2004
1,849 Posts
Dave is the man!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:02 PM
Old skool speed freak!
Napa, Ca
Joined May 2004
478 Posts
Raffle

Hey guys,

Since I missed out on the jerseys, I bought some raffle tickets!

Good luck to team USA,..........and to me!
vinmech is offline Find More Posts by vinmech
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmech View Post
Hey guys,

Since I missed out on the jerseys, I bought some raffle tickets!

Good luck to team USA,..........and to me!
Very much appreciated Mike !

Thanks for your support!!

Brandon