HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DProseus View Post
I finally got all the money totaled. I will be sending a check in the amount of $560 to AMA for the F3K Team fund. Thank you very much everyone that contributed.

Dick
Thank you guys and gals! That's very awesome of you to help out!

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:17 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,643 Posts
Yes thanks to you all for supporting the team. Man nice variety of planes at that contest.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:48 PM
United States, SC, Pageland
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Raptr dlg fun

Hi guys.

Just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed the dlg event at Wilson, NC last Saturday.

Also, hats off to Cliff @ Atlanta Hobbies for an excellent deal on a Raptor DLG!

I took it out late this afternoon and flew to nearly sunset. Awesome glider! Thanks Cliff!

As far as I can see.....DLG is FOR ME!

Hope to see some of you guys at York, SC next year!

Best regards and happy sailing!

Rick Atkinson / Pageland, SC
Rick Atkinson is offline Find More Posts by Rick Atkinson
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:23 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,712 Posts
Rick,

Welcome to DLG and to RCGroups!

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:23 AM
Don't Fight the Torque Roll!
Belleair Beach, FL
Joined Mar 2008
305 Posts
Thanks Dick, Oleg, Larry, Kyle and the rest of the DESS club for a perfect weekend. I arrived Friday at noontime with just enough time to join the Pro-Am competition. Kyle is a natural at teaching us newbies about F3k. Then I was very fortunate be paired up with Kyle for the Pro-Am which was a great stroke of luck. That afternoon helped me immensely for the whole event.

Saturday morning I was in group B for the first round which seemed to be all sink. Fortunately, the next round yielded me a score of 922, followed by a 609 in the 5x2:00's (3 2:00's and couple of stinkers). Round 4 was my low point of the day. I found a nice thermal over the north tree line then I got to slow, stalled, porpoised, got disoriented and then - you know what happened - yes, I put it in the trees! Big fat zero for that round. I found my Polaris about 40'-50' up in a pine tree surrounded by some nasty thorny vines. I decided to leave it and get back in the competition. Lost some time in round 8 because I was still in the woods getting my Polaris out of the tree. Last round of the day had perfect conditions and I was able eek out my only 1000 for the day.

Day 2 looked foreboding with cold and windy conditions. I decided to use my Blue Sirius which I had ballasted with 2 oz of lead. Unfortunately, I experienced a nasty midair on launch which almost cut my right aileron on two. Thankfully, Jeff Carr was had some tape handy and I was able to complete the round. Round 12 could have gone better. For some unexplainable reason on the first AULD launch I proceeded to not only launch my Sirius but my transmitter as well. I quickly ran after my radio and was able to regain control at around 40'. I was thankful that this happened in the AULD round so I had a few minutes to restore composure (and time for Jeff Carr to stop laughing). Even though I made a lot of mistakes, the whole experience was invaluable. The DESS club ran a perfect event. I enjoyed seeing old friends, making new friends and flying DLG's. Lastly, I want thank Jeff Carr, Russ Merkle, Bob Whitney, Todd Griffith, Cliff Whitney and Paul Phillips for timing for me. I hope to make it to ECHLGF 2013.

Mike
livemike is offline Find More Posts by livemike
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:03 PM
what's the motor for?
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Dec 2005
152 Posts
I Failed!

First - Thanks to my DESS buddies for putting on the best, and my favorite, contest ever. Field was perfect; I even walked around barefoot for a while. BBQ and Brats were great, but I missed the ribs because I lollygagged around too long. Conditions were perfect. Friday was a beautiful test/tune day, which I needed because I hadn't flown since our practice contest 2 weeks prior. Saturday gave us a little wind which is what I like to fly in, followed by a calm evening where you throw and don't touch the sticks. Sunday was cold/cloudy/windy enough to make me use even the smallest bumps that I would usually ignore. Most of all it was great to hang out with everyone again and see a few new faces.

I started off better than usual; my first two rounds weren't drops so I was excited about that. I fumbled 3 of the 4 of the turn-around tasks and got high 900’s. The only one I managed a 1K in was the 3/200; it was terrible air so I took my time to make sure I knew where I was going and tried to throw like Gavin. Lost 12s but got the round.

Poker round went good for me too; I borrowed the Oleg/Kyle strategy (although it landed Oleg in a tree this time). I felt there was air for 9:57 but didn’t want to risk using a drop round yet. So I called low (2 min) to scout and if I found big air I could go 7:55 and only loose a few seconds if someone had called 9:57, and if I didn’t find anything I could fly it as 4x2 plus a 1:50. Well during the 2min flight I didn’t find anything big, but there was nice comfy air at the N treeline. Called the 7:55 and headed back to the N treeline – Where’d My Air Go! It was useless to come back so I left the treeline and went deeper over the open area to the NW and finally hooked up. Took a few different thermals to make the eight minutes but that was my most memorable flight.

Oh Yeah – I Failed! I usually only set one goal when I go to contests - to have fun while catching a few thermals. That’s it! Well this time I set another which meant that I cannot have a bad round, I will not land out, and I will throw harder. Why? Because I had to beat the Carolina Crushers and I knew every point (or lack thereof) counts! Just something about their name got to me… Well that didn’t work so well, but at least they didn’t win Thank You DC Lame Ducks!

I still had fun - that's what matters!

fd3
Falco peregrinus is online now Find More Posts by Falco peregrinus
Last edited by Falco peregrinus; Oct 15, 2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: ...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:28 AM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
My FireAnt stings are almost all healed !!!! Their name is earned !!!!

Oh, they're not on the field. I was trying to get Walt's plane out of a tree and in doing so I was jumping up and down on a rather large nest of them.....

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder