HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:21 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Discussion
which is the most stable heli

Couldn't decide which thread to post in since I am not a beginner at helis but I lack knowledge of the various models available.

I currently have an HK450, well actually three, two are spare parts. I am not a 3D fan but like to hover or do some fast flybys or an occassional roll. I live in the boonies so I don't get to any airfields where I might chance seeing different makes and models. So this brings me to this question.

Which CP heli would get the best rating for stability and being a relaxing Sunday flyer in the heli world? ntro or electric.

I don't mind the 450 but flying it does compare to putting water in a hot frying pan.
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:01 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
My vote would be for the Century Swift NX. Bigger helis are more stable than comparable smaller helis. The 500 - 550 size is the biggest I've flown and this is the best of them. In the 450 size, it would be the Thunder Tiger Mini Titan E325. But, there a lots of people with bigger budgets and more flying room.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:32 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
Stability

Hmmm ...

An ongoing quest to be sure .. I have several ideas .. Some to still be tested .

but one area is rotor blade weight ..

25g for each blade or less = responsive helicopter !

You want to tame it some , find 30g + blades ..

I had some 34g blades that were simply fantastic [ till I broke them ]
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:11 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
The most stable helicopter is the one being flown by a good pilot. There is not a lot you can do to compensate for your lack of skill other than practice. Buying bigger helicopters which move slower, have more inertia, could help, but it's not the ultimate answer. We get this question all the time, and I suppose my response is "Do you want the helicopter to fly by itself?"

I guess what I'm saying is "stability is overrated" and pilot skill is overlooked. A 450 helicopter is slow and "stable" enough for most beginners if they have adequate simulator skills and the helicopter is operating correctly. IMO the problem for most beginners is improper setup and shoddy equipment - if you can't do anything about that, the only option is to improve your skill. A 450 that is set up properly will hold a hover for 5-10 seconds before it gains any appreciable airspeed - so if your heli isn't doing that, you either don't have the skill to get it in a stable hover in the first place, or it's not working right.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:35 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,246 Posts
If you haven't already done so, I would recommend that you install an FBL system on your 450. It will make it much more precise and easier to fly and will handle wind much better.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
I guess what I am aiming for would be something like my RC planes. When I want fast I fly the sport models, lazy days I fly a trainer or glider.

I know the heli won't fly itself regardless of size. The fact is some designers I am sure took the time to actually understand the aerdynamics/physics of a helicopter before designing their models and some designers did not.

Like I said before I don't the difference in flight characteristics of the various models. I can fly like a pro on the sim but real word is different and I think I would be a fool to judge which heli is best from the simulator. I can hover forever normal and inverted but I refer to the first paragraph and post.

I can buy a 500, 600, or 700 size but why throw money at it if there RC heli pilots who have different model experience under their belt?

Before the HK450 I had an HeliMax 400 CP which I learned on along with Real Flight sim. Don't get me wrong about the HK, it flys well, actually it is rock solid and QUICK, I read a lot of posts about it and took the following actions before flying: time to check and balance rotating parts, replaced almost every bearing, installed all Futaba electronics except speed controller and motor, and sent the heli and radio to be set up correctly.

Thanks for the input about the FBL and blade weights. Of course the only thing I know about the FBL is what I read and I have CF blades on the HK.

I am proof that knowing how to fly a heli doesn't mean you know anything about them.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:08 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Well, if you want something that will just about flys itself, get a nice quad with carefree mode and GPS. That way if the wind pushes it, it will return to where it was by itself.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:22 AM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
LOL, don't want to get too extreme. Have you flown TT Titan or Raptor .30?
I guess with the heli it is what it is for flight characteristics, regardless of size. WOW! I am getting old and the memory is going. My very first RC heli was a Shluter(sp) Heliboy I had when I was stationed in Germany in 1983. I never got past learning to hover (actually up and down) with it, my training gear was string and fishing poles. From looking at adverts for 600 helis I think the heliboy was comparable in size.
I think it to be a shame that I love flying the helis but I don't care for 3D. I like watching videos of others flying 3D.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:11 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Biggest heli I've flown is a Century Swift, which is 550 size. Otherwise, nothing bigger than a 450; I just don't have the space without going to an RC club field, which is 1/2 hour away and limits me to flying maybe twice a week. So, I mostly fly small quads around my yard, now.

I remember the Schluter Heli-boy. They had no gyro, as I recall, or at least not a very good one. There was a guy at the club I belonged to back then who had one. It was a real handful to fly. It seemed to take about 1/2 hour to get it setup to fly and a good flight consisted of getting it 8 feet off the ground and landing without crashing. If he tried turning, there was no telling if he could get it to stop. I was flying simple RC planes, but mostly control line stunt and racing. I thought people trying to fly helis were nuts! Plus, a radio with enough channels for a heli cost a month's pay.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROACE View Post
LOL, don't want to get too extreme. Have you flown TT Titan or Raptor .30?
I guess with the heli it is what it is for flight characteristics, regardless of size. WOW! I am getting old and the memory is going. My very first RC heli was a Shluter(sp) Heliboy I had when I was stationed in Germany in 1983. I never got past learning to hover (actually up and down) with it, my training gear was string and fishing poles. From looking at adverts for 600 helis I think the heliboy was comparable in size.
I think it to be a shame that I love flying the helis but I don't care for 3D. I like watching videos of others flying 3D.
My father still has his Heli Baby, and yes there were no gyros at least when my dad bought his. The Heli baby is FP. He still breaks it out occassionally and flies it. He built his with a semi scale canopy with a 1970's GI Joe action figure in it(the one with the kung foo grip) He had to cut the legs down to make GI Joe fit!

And yes you might be missing a "c" and an "umlout" somewhere in your spelling! LOL. (not that I can spell it)
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
I will be the first to admit that I cannot spell. I was giving the heli boy some thought and as I recall now tail rotor mixing was accomplished a mechanical mixer. It also ran idle and wide open with the engine for a somewhat fixed rotor speed. I don't know if the current nitro helis are the same way or not.

I also wonder about the technology and manufacturing process. I don't know how I manage to built that heli boy and fly it when the current 450 made me feel like I needed to go back to college and trade my electronic and physics degree for a mechanical. LOL

The biggest downfall with owing a heli and planes is having to decide which to fly when there is little time which seems to be always.

I ordered some wooden rotor blades today to see if that will tame down my HK450. I may consider even moving the battery under the frame and putting speed control up at battery holder. I can shift the battery forward or back as needed to achieve COB. I am not a 3D guy so hopefully I won't lose battery.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROACE View Post
I ordered some wooden rotor blades today to see if that will tame down my HK450. I may consider even moving the battery under the frame and putting speed control up at battery holder. I can shift the battery forward or back as needed to achieve COB. I am not a 3D guy so hopefully I won't lose battery.
I for one would be very interested to hear what the result of that would be. I have had thoughts of adding weight directly below the rotor, to try and keep a lower COG, just for training and initial flights. Just a wild thought at this stage...
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:03 AM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Tried the battery relocation to lower COG. I found this to be only suitable for hovering (MHO). Reason being that it kept heli solid at hover but heli seemed very slow to enter manuevers and Very slow to recover. I definately would not attempt to loop or roll. The other downside I did not experience but could forsee happening would be a damaged battery if landing too hard. So guess the designers knew what they were up to when they put the battery location where they did to start.
If a new pilot knows how to balance the heli I would recommend this for hover but then again if there is time spent on a simulator the battery relocation is just extra work unless a person just wants to hover all the time.
Anyway, now I know and I hope this little info can be of help.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:19 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
If I could successfully hover my 50 X for just a minute, I'd be stoked!
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:05 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
Hmmm

Maybe he just wants to fly circuits with his heli and do slow manoeuvres ...

And not have the heli do anything surprising ! I think a lot of people are in this boat , or heli as it may be [ just a nice sunday flyer ] . Nothing wrong with that .

Just a nice relaxing stress free helicopter , a worthy goal !

Light rotor blades make for a responsive heli - also one sensitive to wind . Heavier rotor blades slow down the reaction to external forces , as well as controls but not enough for non competition flyers to worry about .
A light weight heli is a responsive one , whilst a heavier heli is a more stable platform , especially in wind .

Lower CG = Good

Some of my helicopters are solid [ stable ]
Whilst others are like a feather in the wind - Goal is to find out why each is as it is , and go from there .
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570