it was in I believe.
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:28 PM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
449 Posts
I made a serious mistake and tried to range upwind under power and then use the last seconds to gain altitude. The problem is that the Oly under best circumstances needs about 24 seconds to climb to 200 meters so I had ranged out but only climbed to about 130 meters before the timer cut the motor. I searched for a few minutes finding nothing and then decided to try a search pattern while returning to the field and found nothing. The fence line is about 500' North of the launch area so I was just pushing hard to get back.

I took photos since it was literally a borderline situation. I showed a photo to the CD and the initial call was out. I pointed out that the landing measurement is to the nose of the plane and another pilot supported my position and the CD relented. The ambiguity of the situation was a distraction from my poor flight and I immediately thought about bringing the issue to this thread for feedback and to see if there was a consensus of opinion.
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:37 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,673 Posts
Well, you sound like someone that is fair even in self critique!
Of course it would have been great to have that aired out before the contest starts, and it sounds like you will not make that mistake again anyway...
Win/win, even if it doesn't feel that way.
Certainly worthy of discussion.
Have fun doing the X-country this weekend!

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:13 PM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
449 Posts
I certainly have changed my priority when deciding between range and altitude. Altitude can be converted to distance, but distance can't always get you altitude.
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:34 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilmunder View Post
... I immediately thought about bringing the issue to this thread for feedback and to see if there was a consensus of opinion.
In my opinion it depends on how in and out of bounds was defined at the pilots meeting. At Polecat we state that the landing is in bounds as long as any part of the plane is within the field boundaries. So, under those rules, your landing would have been in bounds. The Polecat field, however, doesn't have any fences and I'm sure we'd specifically address that if it did.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:09 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
If I was the CD, I would have made a decision on the spot and moved on.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
You could choose a 3 man jury at the pilot's meeting, and hand the decision over to them.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:02 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,133 Posts
Out
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:02 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilmunder View Post
I made a serious mistake and tried to range upwind under power and then use the last seconds to gain altitude. The problem is that the Oly under best circumstances needs about 24 seconds to climb to 200 meters so I had ranged out but only climbed to about 130 meters before the timer cut the motor.
Somebody has been taking articles in RCSD too seriously!
target is offline Find More Posts by target