SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Build Log
The BEST XUAF Foamy EDF Custom Build

Are you sick of getting hassled about having a foamy aircraft?

Sick of it breaking?

Want a cool looking jet which no one has?........

I thought I would give it a go and see if I can answer all these questions. I like the fact that RC aircraft is actually unmanned, so why not start off with calling this RC custom jet a XUAF - Extreme Unmanned Aircraft Fighter.

Where to start? Well first, lets look at "cool" timeless aircraft, the BAE Hawk and F4 Phantom

Now what will happen if I do a sketch to see what a merge of these will look like...

This is where I am so far.
Ridgehogs is offline Find More Posts by Ridgehogs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
XUAF Line drawing

Here is what I am thinking in a line drawing. I don't have a CAD program, but use indesign or illustrator to draw up some quick 2D concepts for hotwire cutting the fuse
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:14 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
i could Draw this in cad for you in my spare time....
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:20 AM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Quote:
i could Draw this in cad for you in my spare time....
WOW! Now that's the first time I have ever heard that! Amazing! CAD experts are a rare breed, and for someone to offer is out of this world! Most people freak as an aircraft has so many curves - not just straight lines.

Sure, stay tunned as what I will do is finish this build and see how she preforms, then we will have a platform/prototype model to work from. This will help iron ot any design flaws as allot of this build will use the "eye-ometer"

Cheers
G.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:43 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
Okey doke im watching and waiting
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:38 AM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Printed out the 2D drawings and using a hot wire was able to cut out the profile of the aircraft.

I am using EPP which is more softer, and can take the knocks better than EPS which is used for most EDF Jets.

The block I am using is 100mm thick, this will make up the entire fuse (excluding the intakes).
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:00 AM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Using the plan view of the 2D print out I am able to cut out the intakes of the XUAF.

I then mark out the center line before I round the edges as it makes it hard to find an edge otherwise. It looks real box like, but once rounded off it will look much better.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:12 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
Looking Good!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:25 AM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
DUCTING and Shaping the EDF

Well now comes the fun part - Ducting and shaping.

Since I am working from a solid block and not a factory molded EPS model, I have to cut the aircraft in half so I can do the ducting.

You can see the plan view of the aircraft on an earlier post, this is what I will use for the positioning and layout.

I use a custom bent hotwire tool - I do top half, then bottom half - two halves make a hole

I get the basic shape, then I slowly open up the intakes - they will look too small, yes, but I open them up. I start smaller and slowly work my way up so that the EDF when placed inside does not slop round.

Once the shape has been done, I round the edges of the XUAF aircraft.....
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:32 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Looks great, but why does it need a canopy?
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelberts View Post
Looks great, but why does it need a canopy?
Just to get the shape - this build will also show how you can use every day materials to make an EDF Aircraft look like a glass one.

I will cover the whole thing in plastic from Soda bottles

I need the canopy as I will wrap the shape then dicard the EPP inner when I am done....

Stay tuned
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Now is the time where the build gets a little over the show as I will be doing multiple things on this build at one time.

This build will go through and ugly season, so bare with me as the end result will transform the aircraft.

You will see some paint on the XUAF, what I do is give it a mist over with a coat of spray paint and sand it lightly back - like in cars this will show me where it is uneven.

Also I am not too fussed on the finish as you will see I am covering the aircraft with carbon poly, this will give extreme strength and a fiber glass look to this "foamy"

I Do a quick install of the EDF to make sure everything lines up. I am using a RC Lander EDF unit - great power from a small EDF...

The set up will be 4s 2200mAh Lipo, 80A ESC, 68mm All Alloy EDF with 1.7kgs of thrust.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
XUAF Tail Section

This simply uses 3mm coreflute cut out which allows the tail section to be strong and NEVER break.

I run 3mm carbon rods through the coreflute to add strength to stop any "flutter" at high speed.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:04 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
Nice BTW lemme know When you need the Cad Drawings Done...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:35 AM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith459 View Post
Nice BTW lemme know When you need the Cad Drawings Done...
Can you do them so that on a CNC machine it could make a male mould - as in with curves etc?... A full 3D model (if that makes sense).

A mate done this for me for one of my other planes (Ridge Racer), but it was done in a 3D program and could not be read by a CNC operating system/program.

They can only read things like step files, DXF - no cinema 3D (which does not export to that), Rhino is another program which was mentioned I have never heard befor, but too expensive (plus I don't have the know how).