HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2001, 08:52 AM
N. Andover MA
Joined Sep 2000
157 Posts
Center of Gravity

I have an Ace Simple Series Me-109 with a speed 400 motor, 1.85:1GB, micro servos, standard Rx, and 8cell 600AEs (flat).

After the first couple of attempts to get it airborne, I noticed a tendency to tip stall to the left once I tried adding any control inputs.
The plans call for the CoG to be about 1" or so back from the leading edge at the root. I have only managed to have the actual CoG to be about 1.5" or so from the leading edge.
Would incorrect CoG (too far aft)make that big of a difference? I assume so. If that is the case, should I add weight to the nose, try changing the AoA of the wing (rubber band mounted), drop the thrust line of the motor down, what?
Should I try to move the CoG forward of the recommended spot?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way, thanks for reading this long winded post.

C.
cenman is offline Find More Posts by cenman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2001, 09:15 AM
United States, CT, Enfield
Joined Nov 2000
351 Posts
An aft CG will cause the problems you mentioned. The 1/2" your CG is off is a lot for a small plane like that. If your wing angle of incidence and motor thrust line are at the plan specs I wouldn't mess with them. Try rearranging your battery or other components, and if all else fails add weight up front. But whatever you do get that CG right on, or your plane will have a short life.

Paul
Paul is offline Find More Posts by Paul
Old Jul 17, 2001, 09:31 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,037 Posts
I agree with Paul, half an inch could make a significant difference to a model like this. Your problem also may be lack of power/thrust. What prop are you using?

Mike Smart

PS, how big and how heavy is the model?

[This message has been edited by Mike Smart (edited 07-17-2001).]
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jul 17, 2001, 09:31 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,470 Posts
This is the 3 step way to trim a model aircraft :

1. Get the C.G. in the right place. This determines the amount of stability the model has.

When this is right :

2. Alter the angle of the elevator or incidences so that the model glides properly. Do not change the C.G. at this stage.

When this is right :

3. Alter the thrustline of the engine so that the model flies properly under power. Do not change the C.G. or incidences any more at this stage.

(Sorry, I couldn't help that !)

[This message has been edited by ChrisP (edited 07-17-2001).]
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jul 17, 2001, 09:35 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,952 Posts
Exactly what Paul said. A rearward CG will make the plane unstable, you can't change that by altering thrustline or incidence angles.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover