HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Nov 2010
108 Posts
Question
Question about ESC effect on motor temp

Hey guys. I have a flying wing and I was trying to get a fast setup on it with a 3648 1450kv turnigy on 4s and a 9x6 prop.

It pulls over 100 amps for sure. I was using a hobbywing 100-120amp ESC and its not cutting it. Sometimes it works but frequently cuts out when it gets too hot.

I totally friend and smoked one of these motors with a 10x7 prop LOL the motor burnt to a crisp but the ESC was ok? go figure?

so aiming for the 9x6. Even with the 9x6 the motor gets VERY hot. Not hot enough to burn on touch but close hot enough so you can only tap it really quick with your finger. The ESC was hot also. It was a 90 degree day also all things considered.

I don't want to run a motor too hot for obvious reasons (ie don't want it to go bad when not expected)

My question is if I get a better ESC that can handle 200amp would this cause the motor to run cooler?

Also I'm using turnigy nanotech 65-130C batts If I use say 30C batteries instead of 65c batteries will this
decrease the motor temp also as well?

Thanks for your help!!
whosthebaddest is offline Find More Posts by whosthebaddest
Last edited by whosthebaddest; Jun 20, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:08 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,277 Posts
The motor heating up is caused by the motor pulling too much current. The ESC has nothing to do with how much current the motor pulls. So changing the ESC will accomplish nothing. The motor's current pull is caused by the load on the motor, which is the propeller. The way you decrease that load, which decreases the current and thus the heat, is to either use a smaller propeller or spin the propeller slower by lowering the motor's applied voltage, i.e., lose a battery cell.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:57 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,192 Posts
Power loss is proportional to current squared. Your motor is rated at 70A for 20 seconds. At 100A it has to dissipate twice as much heat as it does at 70A. No wonder it's getting hot!

You should drop the prop size down to 8x6, or even 7x6. I bet it won't be much slower with these props (perhaps even faster if your airframe is slick enough), but the motor and ESC will stay much cooler.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Nov 2010
108 Posts
Cool thanks for the help Guys!!
whosthebaddest is offline Find More Posts by whosthebaddest
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:14 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,215 Posts
An alternative, since you are looking for a "fast setup," is to add a motor that can handle that much power. If you drawing 100A at 15V you want a 1500 Watt motor. That would weigh about 300 grams.

If the 10 x 7 prop is a limiting factor (you cannot fit a larger prop) you want to spin that at a max RPM of about 14,000 RPM (the prop's RPM limit). So you'd want a 300 gram motor with a 1600 or so Kv.

Then look for a big wide open area to fly in, a place with nothing or no one to run in to because you'll have a potentially lethal flying wing...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes