HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Jun 2012
64 Posts
Discussion
Hello Folks, New Guy Here... Need Help, Please

I am very glad I found this board, there are some pretty sharp people here! (I've already been reading some of the threads...).

Ok, I've just made a deal for a old Kyosho Blade Runner 101C, Mono,(it's only supposed to have been run a few times, I'll find this out for sure when it comes in).

It's missing batt-packs and charger. It has the stock motor,(540 motor w/gear reduction box, and a Tamiya speed controler and is water cooled).

My question is, What is the best/cheapest place to get/order batt-packs,(7.2V-1400~3300mAh NiMh is what was originally called for, stock), and a basic smart charger for this boat?

....And for those of you that are familiar with "Cooking" or "Tricking" these boats for more speed, please don't go away, I'll be picking your brains for other things that can be done to this boat. (If you like, we can start with a better recommendation on the Batts and possible charger too).

Oh for that matter, any ideas for what can replace this stock prop that will bring me more speed on the water?

I am most greatfull in advance,(even to the point that I'll buy the first beers... if you are near my area... MT).

Michael
C. M. Wolf is offline Find More Posts by C. M. Wolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:49 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,305 Posts
Hi Michael. I'll say welcome to the forum although I'm not familiar with your boat to be of any real use.
Hobby King is a good source for lipo batts and chargers and probably have some nimh as well but I've never looked for them. Pretty much anyone here will recommend upgrading to a lipo system anyways.

If scorpion1 happens to notice your thread he will be very helpful. He's tricked out more of the small what we call "toy grade" boats than anyone I know and gets good results doing it.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:59 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
Stick with NIMH packs as the ESC you have with that boat will probably not support LI PO batters
You can look on line for places that sell batters and every thing you need to build a very good pack for half the price of a ready made pack . A nice charger for about 30.00 is the GWS-MC2002 it will handle up to 12 cells . If you want to hop it up , that's a whole different set of recommendations . You know the saying speed costs money .
highflyerbill is offline Find More Posts by highflyerbill
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Jun 2012
64 Posts
Thank you the welcome and the advice, Guys.

To let you all know a bit about my RC experience... it's mostly in RC/10 electric cars and began with one boat back in the late 80s,(I even had one of the "Kyosho-Tomahawk" cars... that took some work to race with any kind of speed!). I used to race the 1/10 cars back then so I have a slight knowledge on some of these systems,(although quite dated now). From RC stuff, I raced moto-bikes on national circuit, then got into racing buggies, then bought a twin engine aircraft, built a few "Hot-Rods" to race in my time too,(all full-sized-sit my butt on/in & go vehicles). I sure can understand when someone says... "Speed Costs Money".
The last RC boat I had built,(way back when), was a 9.6V, twin outboard, tunnel/cat,(yeah, it still sounds kinda wierd to me too, still, the darned mongrel-thing even won once or twice). Somehow I managed to dial it into dumping the 6-cell 9.6V NiCd batt into those cheap lil,(un-water-cooled), twin motors inside a three min heat to compete with some fair-built mono's without melting the hull or outboards... (I guess I just get something into my head and somehow make it work).

Which is what I'm going to do with this old, 'toy', Kyosho-Blade Runner mono too.

I'll certainly look into the charger from here, I still may go with the pre-fab 7.2V-NiNh batt-packs though,(especially if it can be done for less than $45 each, which is what the only hobby shop in my area would have to order them to the tune of, for me. this hobby shop doesn't 'do' boats in any way, shape, or part, so absolutely everything has to be ordered that can't be adapted from car/plane. I still just can't get my head around the fact that I'm only 1 mile away from the Missouri River and quite a few lakes & ponds, and no one in my area,{other than the odd WallyMart}, does RC Boats! ).

Any links and/or part #'s are like a well-drawn 'map' to a lost-guy in the desert, for me. (Ain't 'new guys' a pain? we show up with only a bunch of questions, some beggar's-ol'-boat, askin' for lots of info, on mostly stuff that no one that really knows anything current about the hobby would bother to build on... ). I suppose that's why it's called a "Hobby" instead of 'work'.

But all the same... Please, no one here get to thinking that I'm not very greatful for any and all help/advice that comes my way.... maybe sometime soon, I'll be able to help out others as I've been helped here.

Many Thanks, and I thank you for the 'Welcome'.

Michael
Last edited by C. M. Wolf; Jun 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highflyerbill View Post
Stick with NIMH packs as the ESC you have with that boat will probably not support LI PO batters
You can look on line for places that sell batters and every thing you need to build a very good pack for half the price of a ready made pack . A nice charger for about 30.00 is the GWS-MC2002 it will handle up to 12 cells . If you want to hop it up , that's a whole different set of recommendations . You know the saying speed costs money .
Hello Highflyerbill, please correct me if I'm wrong, but so far I'm finding that this above charger is rated for 9-15V batts,(and the cheapest I'm seeing one for is about $44+)... Am I missing something?

MTIA

Michael
Last edited by C. M. Wolf; Jun 21, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
64 Posts
I did find these in another place...

http://www.all-battery.com/TenergySm...cks-01005.aspx {batt-charger}

http://www.all-battery.com/2x72v3000...tors91094.aspx {7.2V, 3000mAh... which is what was originally recommended by Kyosho/Cox for the Blade Runner boats)

...or...

http://www.all-battery.com/2pack72v4...tors91087.aspx (7.2V, 4200mAh, which is a higher mAh than what was recommended, I was told that a 3300mAh would run this boat very well, so would the 4200mAh cause any problems without changing the ESC or Motor?)

(Batts & Charger, I'd certainly rather buy on this site... any leads for here?)

"Oh Great and Powerful, Wizard - Scorpion1, where art thou?"

TIA

Michael
Last edited by C. M. Wolf; Jun 21, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,735 Posts
4200 will work if it will fit in the boat. It's a larger capacity and will give a little longer run.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:25 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,305 Posts
Here's a lipo charger that also does nicad and nimh (be useful when you get ready to upgrade to lipo as well) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

nimh pack selection there is pretty sparce and pretty much out of stock
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Batteries.html

Smaller and lighter than a similar sized nimh with cimilar voltage level. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamaholic View Post
4200 will work if it will fit in the boat. It's a larger capacity and will give a little longer run.
Excellent. Thank you, Foamaholic, for confirming this for me.

I was wondering how differently the two sized batts would act. Would the 4200mAh run anything any hotter or simply last longer? What diferences should I be noticing here using the 4200mAh as opposed to the 3000mAh?

(The actual size differences between the two batts is only about 3/16"... I'm figuring that just maybe why they made "Dremels"... I suppose I could always fab a new batt tray to fit.)

TIA

Michael
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,735 Posts
The 4200 will be heavier. Nothing will run hotter.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined Jun 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
Here's a lipo charger that also does nicad and nimh (be useful when you get ready to upgrade to lipo as well) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html
Please pardon me here, I admit that I can be a bit dense at times, but can this charger specifically do the 7.2V- 3000mAh-4200mAh, 30-38amp batts, and what might be the average charge time,(if you wouldn't mind guessing a little)?

Quote:
nimh pack selection there is pretty sparce and pretty much out of stock
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Batteries.html
Yeah, I figured that I'd be doing a little 'hunting' for the right parts at first due to the age of the boat design, at least until I can reconfigure/update the entire boat... if the hull is even workable enough for that.

Quote:
Smaller and lighter than a similar sized nimh with cimilar voltage level. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
I'll keep these in mind... but I think for now, I'm going to keep it simple on this hull and just run it basically like it is or until I run out of 'tweeks' that fit into the boat without a major overhaul/rework.

Once I get the prop to spin, I'm going to get into changing the prop,(or adding a dual-counter prop, if needed... I'm not one to shy away from "Regearing and dual-shafting" a boat, I wonder about that Kyosho gear-re-duct-box anyway. I think I can do better.), possibly adding some fins, and maybe some trim tabs... I'll need to see exactly how the lil'thing runs on the river and in some chop first.

I thank you kindly, Bill34207, and what can you tell me about the above charger, if you wouldn't mind?

Michael
Last edited by C. M. Wolf; Jun 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Jun 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamaholic View Post
The 4200 will be heavier. Nothing will run hotter.
Perfect! I thank you, Sir.

(But I wonder, I've been known to do some hard-core tweeking to a stock motor and gears... and I don't need no stinking "Reverse" so I'll be tweeking on the ESC and servos too). Can you say... "3 Minute Battery Dump!" Hehehe...

Michael
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:50 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Wolf View Post
I thank you kindly, Bill34207, and what can you tell me about the above charger, if you wouldn't mind?

Michael
I don't really know that much about that one other than it does lipo, li-ion, nicad, nimh and pb batteries at up to 5 amp charge rate. I do use the larger verison of it (accucel 8) and have been for about 3 years now with good results.. I've never tried the nicad ni-mh side of it though.
RCG Plus Member